Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 02:19 AM

Default Hand Ranging Exercise : What\'s the River? What are they holding?

Stealing from Sushi, I thought I would do another hand review exercise here.

This one I am doing street by street and the purpose of the exercise is to start the thinking process and make adjustments as the hand plays out.

This of course is a tough thing to do and it wasn't until I got to have a one on one conversation with Wookiee when I met him in Niagara that I did this personally. I have, in the hands since, basically doubled my win rate because of starting to think and make adjustments better by doing a lot of these when I play.

There is no hero here. You are just an observer in this hand.

Full Ring 1/2

Player Notes:

BB
300 hands 25 VPIP 12 PFR 1.5AF 1.5 bb/100 win rate recorded. This guy is pretty solid. Defends his blinds better than most heads up. Seems aware of position and misses value bets on the river.

MP2
600 hands 45 VPIP 25 PFR 1.8AF 4bb/100 win rate recorded. This guy is tricky. Donks, check/raises and 3 bets more than most. He seems to win a lot of big hands but is timid H/U.

CO
1200 hands 18VPIP 4 PFR 1.1AF .8bb/100 win rate recorded. This guy is very tight calls down most aggression unless he has very strong hand then he can 3 bet flop

Button
4000 hands VPIP 25% PFR 18 2.4AF 2.3bb/100 recorded win rate. You see this guy all the time and he is tough to beat. Capable of anything postflop. He multitables on 3 tables usually, you have seen him take the full time allotment over and over again.

PREFLOP action:

4 folds MP2 raises, 1 fold, CO calls, Button raises, 1 fold, BB calls, MP2 caps, CO calls, Button calls, BB calls

Flop Action:

K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB bets, MP2 raises, CO calls, Button Calls, BB 3 bets, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button Calls.

Turn Action

7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB Bets, MP2 raises, CO calls, Button Calls, BB 3 bets, MP2 caps, CO calls, Button calls

River Action:

i) [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, Button raises, BB calls, MP2 calls, CO Calls.

Button shows down and wins the pot.

ii) [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB bets, MP2 calls, CO raises, Button folds, BB raises, MP2 calls, CO calls

BB wins hand

iii) [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB bets, MP2 raises, CO calls, Button folds, BB calls

MP2 wins hand

iv) [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

BB bets, MP2 calls, CO raises, Button folds, BB calls, MP2 calls.

CO wins pot.

If you need more clues give me a card and I will show you the river action.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Hand Ranging Exercise : What\'s the River? What are they holding?

My previous guesses for the Turn...

BB: KK, AK, AA (in order of probability)
MP2: AQs (both clubs)
CO: I am not so sure about TT or JJ anymore... I am hoping he isn't drawing to the ignorant end with 99
BTN: QQ

i) i think you mean that the BTN bets (rather than raise?), the ace of hearts if no one actually had a queen apart from the BTN, but i was putting MP2 on AQs of clubs, so...

ii) it might be possible that the Queen of spades fell, making BB an ace high straight, and the CO a king high straight... but then my mp2 must be wrong...

iii) any spade other than king, jack, ten or seven could have fallen, giving MC2 which has AQs (both spades) the nut flush... the K,J,T and 7 gives BB a full or quads if he has KK...

iv) if the BB has KK for top set MP2 some thing like two pair and the CO a straight, the hand could have played out similarly... thus a blank spade, or one giving the CO a straight would do as long as my Turn assumptions were correct, apart from MP2 of course, which seems to be well off in many of the latest exercises...

slightly difficult this one smurph, but of particular value nonetheless...
Old 10-21-2007, 12:46 PM

Hint: As everyone else did your range on MP2 is too tight. Remember he raises 25% preflop. Rerange Mp2 starting over again and see if you come up with different answers.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:02 PM

boy the board is dead there was a time this would get tons of players playing along.

Oh well.

What I noticed is most people here didn't range the MP2 enough, which explains why a lot of people have problems with these types of players.

The next problem is narrowing down too quickly, which I am guilty of as well.

When I do this type of exercise I use pokerstove and start taking out hands from my original assessment that don't make sense based on the action.

At any rate, I would love someone to do this for me on the board, I think these are more fun than sudoku.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:04 AM

I do enjoy this smurph, but had a long weekend away so took a few days to answer. It's a big post/exercise and it's not really one you can answer quickly in 2-3 minutes (at least I can't). I'm not really sure what the last part of this exercise is supposed to be. I assume we need to give a possible river card and give the ranges of all players again?

i) J/T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] board paired everybody is afraid
BTN has JJ,made quads or a FH and takes down the pot

ii) dunno [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

iii) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
MP2 has KQs[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] . He picked up a FD on the turn and now makes a FH.

iv) dunno

Hands:
BB: AQ
MP2: KQs[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
CO: I had him on Ts, AQs non-clubs, JJ, KK in the other thread but that doesn't seem to fit here
BTN: JJ

I can't seem to figure out river cards ii and iv that fit CO's range and makes him win once, but lose the other time.

[ QUOTE ]
At any rate, I would love someone to do this for me on the board, I think these are more fun than sudoku.

[/ QUOTE ]
Was this just some made up hand here or did you simply observed a table some time and wrote their stats etc down?
Old 10-23-2007, 11:55 AM

Did this hand actually take place ?

Anyway here are my guesses:

1. Button had TT (Who did button raise on the river ?)
2. BB had AQ
3. MP2 had KK
4. CO had JJ

By the way, that looked like a pretty high win rate (4/100)for MP2 stats of 45/25/1.8. Button looked a bit laggy too me as well, but not as much as MP2.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:14 PM

Looks like a lot of people have CO figured out as he did have JJ.

Look at river ii and river iv though? What card comes that makes CO win one of those times and BB the other?