Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-03-2007, 05:02 PM

Default Re: JC Tran, choke artist????

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
JC Tran is sick good at tournaments. Not only that, he's a super nice guy. If you get to know him at all he's a very easy guy to root for.

I'd say yeah, JC has run bad at WPT final tables, but he's made so many it's ridiculous.

If you're aware of how the WPT final tables go it's not about him choking but about him getting unlucky when it becomes a crapshoot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fwiw, it seemed like this particular LAPC played out in a slow, relatively non-crapshooty manner. At the end of the day, second and first place in a tournament are pretty similar to each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

only 1.2 million dollar difference.

(but I know what you mean)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, tournaments are a joke for a number of reasons, this being one of them. Anything can happen in a headsup match (see: Ivey getting schooled by the dude from Hotel Rwanda) and the money difference between 2nd and 1st is insane. Still, winning a mill in a poker tournament for runner-up is a huge accomplishment and should be regarded as such.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:07 PM

Congratulations to JC Tran for a $1mm+ cash.

As for the title of this thred, it is absurd.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, tournaments are a joke for a number of reasons, this being one of them. Anything can happen in a headsup match

[/ QUOTE ]

so true...how did these kinds of payouts for the top two spots ever become the standard? Just because it makes the HU matches more exciting?
Old 03-03-2007, 10:30 PM

It probably started because in the early days of the wsop main event only first place got paid. I watch watching one from the late 70's the other day that had a whopping 35 people. They made a point of the fact that the top 5 players would be paid that year for the first time due to the "large field".
Since then tournies have obviously grown a great deal but they still want to put some ephmais on first place.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Congratulations to JC Tran for a $1mm+ cash.

As for the title of this thred, it is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Alan Goehring? I'm sorry, but what possesed you to go all in w/ those two fives last year? I'm no expert but that just seemed like you didn't care. Congrats to you for winning, noone can take that away from you, but JEEZ.
Old 03-03-2007, 11:11 PM

Well...on 2nd thought (after a lil research) I guess you didn't have much of a choice. I thought you both had like 3 or 4 million chips, but you both only had like 1.5 and J.C. raised 600k so not much of an option. All other factors considered (WPT final table, 5 handed, short stacks compared to the blinds)I guess...I woulda pushed too.

Peace to ya.
Old 03-04-2007, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well...on 2nd thought (after a lil research) I guess you didn't have much of a choice. I thought you both had like 3 or 4 million chips, but you both only had like 1.5 and J.C. raised 600k so not much of an option. All other factors considered (WPT final table, 5 handed, short stacks compared to the blinds)I guess...I woulda pushed too.

Peace to ya.

[/ QUOTE ]

In other news.....The Mathematics of Poker (by Bill Chen) confirms calling with K8o was the correct play (p.136), which is to call a push upto 14.1BB's assuming opponent is playing optimally (which was supported by Quach's move-in frequency).

sorry for being off topic
Old 03-04-2007, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Peace to ya.

[/ QUOTE ]

In other news.....The Mathematics of Poker (by Bill Chen) confirms calling with K8o was the correct play (p.136), which is to call a push upto 14.1BB's assuming opponent is playing optimally (which was supported by Quach's move-in frequency).

sorry for being off topic

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, but you knew that all along. Thanks for offering historical perspective on the thread (from a non choke-artist).
Old 03-30-2007, 05:33 AM

Yeah, He's choking all the way to the bank, especially after his win at the Reno WPT event.