Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: $60k-$80k
0-20% 2 11.11%
20-40% 7 38.89%
40-60% 8 44.44%
60-80% 0 0%
80-100% 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2007, 09:30 AM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (10/21) (spoilers to come) *DELETED*

noone is critisizing him for playing the way he did
i wouldve done the same thing
but it does not make good tv
Old 10-23-2007, 09:34 AM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (10/21) (spoilers to come)

Anybody else having reception problems. For the second Monday in a row, GSN has been crappy during HSP. It almost looks like a scrambled signal or old internet video that was buffering at 56K.

No problems with any other channels on my cable just GSN. Just wondering if I'm the only one. Sucks because I just couldn't watch it.

I have HSP set to record whenever it comes on so I got to see last weeks when it aired a second time later in the week, hopefully it will be ok this week the second time around.

Sorry if someone else already posted I didn't want to read through the thread since I've not seen the show yet. Thanks.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
noone is critisizing him for playing the way he did
i wouldve done the same thing
but it does not make good tv

[/ QUOTE ]

That is my main point.Guys like Jman28 and sbrugby have no problem losing 5 buyins(200K+ in a session) at nose bleed stakes online...making sick plays ,reads,steals,etc

What happens when they are LIVE,playing donks like Farha,Eli,Gold or whoever....they cant execute these plays?

or is it fear/stagefright of being embarrassed?

C'mon guys admit it.I know alot of you are aba/jman fans(i myself was waiting to see if their talent online was equal or as exciting live) ....but their performances on HS poker was not only nitty,but boring as hell,and did NOT make for good poker TV

Be honest if either of them had pulled off just ONE sick hand /bluff/read/etc....there would have been a hardon parade on this forum with every post being a brag to beat the band!

Old 10-23-2007, 09:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am glad to see that from here on out its 300/600/1200 at least. Now if we can just see some more 2400 straddles (even 600/1200 is only of marginal interest to me lol). Next season of HSP they should just start with 600/1200 w/ 200 ante.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes i can tell that you're the kind of guy that would be bored by the smaller play that's been going on. can you spare some grey poupon?
Old 10-23-2007, 09:57 AM

ok I am sick of people ripping on the tight players. Its their choice to play tight and maybe thats how they feel they are going to make the most money at the table. You arent *obligated* to play loose just because its TV. I think these particular table conditions warrented much more tight play to win. I think Phil Galfond is playing fine.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:12 AM

Wow, there is so much dumb in this thread.

Are there people seriously advocating for Galfond/Brandon to play -ev poker just so they don't look like nits on television?

Sure Galfond/Adams could play like Gold and Farha, but I think the problem is that they don't suck, and have no need to intentionally suck just to get face time.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:16 AM

Can anyone dig up a link where jman talks about why he played so tight? I believe it was a NVG post. Thnaks i suck at teh searching
Old 10-23-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ok I am sick of people ripping on the tight players. Its their choice to play tight and maybe thats how they feel they are going to make the most money at the table. You arent *obligated* to play loose just because its TV. I think these particular table conditions warrented much more tight play to win. I think Phil Galfond is playing fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

nothing wrong with playing tight. do you call his folding qq against sammy playing tight or playing scared? i happen to call it playing scared. if you are scared to play at a table then the only reason why he'd be there is to catch some camera time. doesn't that make sense?
Old 10-23-2007, 10:21 AM

HE DIDNT BRING ENOUGH MONEY AND WAS SAVING SOME SO HE WOULD HAVE 500K TO PLAY THE BIG GAME (WHICH PRODUCERS HAD PROMISED HIM)

Its all in that NVG post jman made.. if someone could find it
Old 10-23-2007, 10:23 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why are they wasting seats with Brandon Adams and Harman??

[/ QUOTE ]

oh and OMGifoldeveryhand(phil galfond) was any better?

Two weeks/episodes and he played 2 hands:

1.Folded QQ to Farha,after checking a harmless flop,and sammy raised the turn

2.Flopped top set with JJ....my grandmother could have played that hand

Geeeez I thought sbrugby/aba played tight.Its amazing that these HS internet pros's that play such an aggro game on-line, look like they have never touched a real deck of cards when they play live,as they truly look uncomfortable in their own skin?

I dont think they have to worry about not being invited back,(as Gabe and Helmuth constantly reffered to)...because they wont.

Gimme a break....you get a chance to play on HS poker,with probably 3-4hrs of edited hands each episode(so I dont want to hear he was card dead BS)...and thats it?

[/ QUOTE ]

i was going to mention the bias also, but not so harsh, lol.

Jennifer is playing hands, Brandon isnt, but he has Sammy and Jamie to his immediate left. He really cant open much.

At least Phil only has to get by Eli (which is still hard)

What do you expect them to do? Put in 25K prelop with A8 like Daniel so no one can make fun of them. I mean, I probably would, but that wouldnt be smart

[/ QUOTE ]

Harman has played about 5 hands in 4 seasons, Brandon Adams is constantly on camera just folding. Then wowo he 3bets KK and gets everyone to insta muck, what was the point?!
I'd much rather watch someone like Jman play (yes we've only seen him play two hands, but hes got to settle into the game/adjust etc) at least give him a chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

are you even paying attention?

Adams has opened with funky hands several times now but everytime it's been when Farha has had, for him, a monster, and he has been pushed out preflop.