Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2007, 08:26 AM

Default Re: TJs button

rofl what the [censored]

worst flop play ever
Old 06-12-2007, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow im worse than i thought

[/ QUOTE ]

You are clever enough to start discussing your hand in this forum, so dont worry about playing badly. That will change soon. Everybody has to start somewhere.

Personally, I learn best not from the hands that I played well, but from the ones that really hurt my bankroll and when I reconsider my play later.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:33 AM

Please fold the flop. I don't understand the raise at all.

I also raise preflop (don't hate a limp), and bet the river since you found a way to get there.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:02 AM

I don't see the question asked, but I'm going to answer it anyway...

Why would anyone raise this pre-flop?

1. Position ... you're going to have great post-flop position. Showing strength pre-flop means in all likelihood they will defer to you. Which is good because you are:
2. Showing strength ... since it's pretty likely they're going to miss the flop as much as you do, they defer to you and your continuation bet has a much better chance of taking the pot. Even if they do call, it may lead to...
3. Free turn card... even if they do call your flop continuation bet, if they're slow-playing a massive hand they're probably thinking 'I'll raise him on the turn'. So if it is checked to you on the turn, voila, a free river! Which is great if you:
4. Make the pot bigger for your draws. If none of the above happen according to plan, it'd be nice if you have odds to call for any draws that you happen to have.

BUT .. when others show strength by betting and all you have are backdoor draws, no high-card strength and no pot-odds, fold.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We all come to that realization eventually. Multiple times. Don't get discouraged.

Preflop, while some of us would argue to raise suited Broadways for value, since you're clearly still working things out in your game overlimping is fine.

On the flop, you have J-high and only backdoor draws. Your hand officially sucks now. You invested a nickel with a mostly-speculative hand, and your pony crashed through the gate, crapped all over the track and broke its leg. Put it out of its misery and fold. You'll almost never convince five! opponents all to lay down to your aggression, and the odd time you do will never make up for the bets you spew every time it doesn't work.

However, there is some good news. I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico (lol geicrolled), and you also got the free card you were looking for. Remember this, and next time when you're on the button and the flop comes more like Q94, you can raise for that free card with a solid draw and see two cards for one extra SB. That's investing wisely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Marchron, KingOtter and AW.....

Can I just say thanks for replies like this. It's these type of explanations that help the OP, me and loads of others who are trying to feel our way through the (seemingly) endless fog. They're certainly a LOT more constructive, motivating and inspirational than the many one-liners you read on this board. It's so obvious that there are posters that are trying to help others and posters that are just trying to amuse themselves or others.

I have lost count of the number of times I have thought about giving up- but I don't. I keep at it. And it posts like these that make it worthwhile. Cheers.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:08 PM

I'm glad you found my post about horsecrap and Geico commercials inspiring. I do what I can.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:12 PM

Tnx all for great replies, plus i got an eskimo rollin on the floor from laughing...that counts something too right.

The fact is that im lost in a hand many times, and most of the times i do try to play by the book (SSHL),and even that i do get cracked A LOT, i atleast know i played(think so) correctly. but from time to time i try something else, and regardless of the result (i know i played wrong) i dont know why. thats where u guys jump in with cool explanations. I mean the book is great, but explaining certain plays is priceless.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:09 PM

This is probably worth putting in the digest--O WAIT
Old 06-13-2007, 12:33 AM

I would not raise preflop here, because with two early limpers I honestly think you are at disadvantage equity wise and yo uprosition prob doesn't make up for it. This changes if early limpers are big donkeys. In general in small stakes limit holdem you should not really be focusing about getting better hands to fold (think aaron said same thing).
Old 06-13-2007, 02:49 AM

In LHE raising suited broadways otb is basically never a significant mistake IMO. Even if you don't have the equity to do it you get to check the flop often enough to make up for it.