Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2006, 10:35 PM

Default Big wins kinda eating up my emotions

I have been fricken killing 5-10, 10-20 NL online for the last 6 months. Ive only played part time and am up about 200k. It seems every fricken time I sit down for a couple few hours i make at leasta couple thousand. I then just won a tourny for 25k a couple days ago. I don't play tourny much anymore.. just on sunday.

Anyway... I am very excited about what is going on and I just want to tell everyone, but after telling a few people about my wins when i first started winning big I sensed jealousy. I'd be like dude I won 8k last night! And their reactions weren't very excited. So now I feel like I have all this emotion building up inside of me with the more I win because I don't tell anyone anymore.

I'm even forced to goto a counseler right now through the courts because of a 2nd dui. So i told her what was on my mind... basically just money. Then she went on about how she thinks im addicted to gambling and all this [censored] and im thinkin.. jesus.. anybody would want to play all the time if you were winning thousands per session. I dunno.. I just be ramblin.. any other successful players ever get this feeling?
Old 10-24-2006, 11:52 PM

Default Re: Big wins kinda eating up my emotions

The counselor will tell you the same exact thing every single time if you bring up poker. Tell her you have never lost a session, you play controlled and within your BR. She'll tell you you're addicted to gambling.

They don't comprendo.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:48 AM

just because you're winning it doesn't mean you're not addicted to gambling.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:51 AM

ya big wins are real hard on me to... i much prefer to lose
Old 10-25-2006, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
just because you're winning it doesn't mean you're not addicted to gambling.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is true

its also possible that youre addicted to poker, the same way people become addicted to world of warcraft and other games, or to making money, the same way brokers and other rich people do. its not like a "chemical addiction" in the traditional sense but anything that you don't feel like you have control over/you do compulsively/dominates the overwhelming majority of your life probably isnt a good thing. everything in moderation and all that.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:53 AM

Don't go bragging about it just keep it to yourself. If people care they will ask and if you don't mind sharing then share. Also congrats on the success.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:16 AM

woot thinly veiled brag, and don't brag, smooth ballas don't talk about winnings and don't talk about poker with people who don't understand it
Old 10-25-2006, 01:24 AM

YA YESTERDAY I WON LIKE 200K AND I WAS LIKE DAMN IM ALL DEPRESSED AND [censored] CUZ MY FRIENDS DONT HAVE 200K AND STUFF THEN I DRANK AND DROVE LOLZORSZ
Old 10-25-2006, 01:45 AM

it's almost impossible to talk about this kind of stuff without people getting jealous. most people work for 8 hours a day and make much less than 1 buy in for any of these games. if you had just busted your ass to make a few 100 at a day job, and someone told you they just made 8k playing poker for a few hours, would your first reaction be happiness? instead of talking about it, maybe share some of the wealth. then, maybe your friends might be more excited about your success.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The counselor will tell you the same exact thing every single time if you bring up poker. Tell her you have never lost a session, you play controlled and within your BR. She'll tell you you're addicted to gambling.

They don't comprendo.

[/ QUOTE ]
O'rllY?