Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2007, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Have a set. Spew?

I thought of 3 betting preflop but if I miss with a couple over cards I am in a bad spot OOP. A lot of check folds result.

The only way I was not going to get stacked was to bet/fold the turn. But how can you bet fold there? Lead for 7 or so, pot is $17ish. He would have raised AI making the effective pot $36 that I would need to call $12 into. Must call right? Ahead some plus draw to boat.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:47 PM

OP you are supposed to get stacked here - not going broke on this turn is bad play - getting all your chips in on this turn with a set and redraw to a boat is just totally standard. You played this hand well and got unlucky. Definitely not spew.

[ QUOTE ]
The point is that against players with wide opening ranges, you actually don't have very good implied odds because they won't have a hand good enough to stack off every time you flop a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

they don't need to stack off - on average we need to net 12xpreflop call = 36bb in this hand - pot is 7bb on teh flop - if you raise his flop CB (say he lead out 5bb and we re-raised to 20bb and he calls - now we've net 20bb and only need 16 more...)

If villains keep folding to your flop raises - then raise their flop bets a lot more often....

Basically we agree that v an unknown flatting is standard - you need a solid read to either 3bet preflop or fold preflop either of which can be a good play under the right circumstances - and I enjoy good discussion as well [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-30-2007, 10:07 PM

Depending on the villian, I 3bet often w/ small pocket pairs, and it's surely profitable...as stated before if they call with a higher pair or AK (assuming they don't come over) you're most likely getting a stack the times you flop a set...and you're turning a hand that you fold 7 out of 8 times into a hand that's winning you some small pots after you c-bet. However, obv flatcalling is standard, and here there's really no way to avoid it. There's no way 97% of players are folding this. You're not saving yourself any hurting by shoving PF - most of the time with a set (unless on a very, very drawy board) you'll lose a lot of value by shoving on the flop after getting raised, as you might as well type "set" in the chat box. Even most overpairs will fold to you there unless they think you're on a draw.... so yeah, IMO - no way to avoid this. Reload and play it the exact same way the next time and you'll find yourself on the winning end.

I saw someone wrote that your CR was horrible on the turn - I definitely don't agree. You've got one more card coming and there are a lot of two pairs and over-excited overpairs you're dominating here.