Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: AK deep in a $10 MTT, reraise from a big stack. Insta-call?

Call with pot odds and so on, but I agree villain usually has TT+, AK.

I don't think a 4x raise is necessarily bad in a $10 MTT, despite the fact that all the pros in HSMTT raise 2.5xBB with everything.

Here, the 4x in early position sort of turns your hand face up, and actually gives you a harder decision to a reraise.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:28 PM

I can't call here. I'm having to have the best hand to keep my tournament life and I have no FE.

Looking at your stack you're ahead of others, and no need to panic. I fold and look for other spots. I don't need to gamble my stack this deep.

I would call if i started with less than 16BB's (assuming it wasn't a pf push).
Old 10-25-2007, 02:38 PM

I raise as little as possible (never really minraise, I'll go below 2.5x only if I've seen it working for others at the table,) changing of course if people are adjusting to my raises, to make my stack play as deep as possible. The deeper we are playing, the more decisions that have to be made, thus the more of an advantage I have and the more money I win.

As for the hand, I don't think I've ever folded AK to a single 3bet in my life, especially not when 28 BBs deep. If your read is that this can't be AQ, TT, etc., then you can fold, but most villains have AQ in their range here.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:50 PM

Unless villian has been extra tight or you have a read that he never 3 bet bluffs you are frequently ahead in this spot and AJ and pure bluffs are not out of villians range, but AA and KK may be. Call.

And raise less pre. One good reason for smaller bet sizes is to leave you more room to manuver with 3 and 4 betting. Obv he donk shoved and you have no room to manuver in this case, but I don't take the fact that he shoved over a 4x raise to mean too much if Hero had been opening fairly regularly for 4x.

edit: I can't read.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:15 PM

i just wrote the below... and noticed that everyones saying the same thing... but i'll post it anyway...

At this stage of a huge field MTT, the same results can be obtained with a smaller pf raise presenting you with a smaller risk/reward ratio.

here... the reraise offers borderline pot odds to call.. but as sherman pointed out... whether you actually have the correct odds is heavily influenced by the rr range of villain. as shown, adding AQ has a huge effect on your equity in this pot. thats up to you to decide... i dont think i would include with 23/2xxx field remaining. but i dunno, its super read dependent.

with no real read... its probably a break even call. and i wouldnt hate it if you folded or called.

However, if you had raised to 24-26000k (my standard size at this level) then you wouldve been getting sig less pot odds and a fold may be correct... (and reduces variance which is what sounds like you are looking for).

essentially, i think your 4x raise forces you to call here.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:47 PM

i think everything's been covered already except one thing: winning this puts you in a superb position chip wise heading into the last two tables and towards a big score.

It looks like it's just about a call even with some very tight ranges being mentioned and added to the above point i think this is definately a call. with 50 left maybe things are a bit different? but probably not.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:06 PM

Thanks for the input guys - esp on the PF raise sizes.

FYI:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t10000 (7 handed) Poker Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Button (t88240)
SB (t200986)
BB (t759452)
UTG (t117934)
<font color="#C00000">Hero (t286278)</font>
MP2 (t337451)
<font color="#C00000">CO (t498055)</font>

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t40000</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t280000</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t285278</font>, CO calls t5278.

Flop: (t575556) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t575556) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t575556) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t575556

Results:
Hero has As Kd (high card, ace).
CO has Ks Kh (one pair, kings).
Outcome: CO wins t575556. GG OT.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:18 PM

guys, wtf? How can people say this is a fold. You do realise you have AK here??

And lol this being deep. I'm more than happy getting this in.

ALl this tourney life, dont want to flip this late stuff is rubbish, get it in.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guys, wtf? How can people say this is a fold. You do realise you have AK here??

And lol this being deep. I'm more than happy getting this in.

ALl this tourney life, dont want to flip this late stuff is rubbish, get it in.

[/ QUOTE ]

not as poetic but I tnd to agree and unlucky he had KK...I would be more than happy to race and not be disappointed to see a pair...no one said winning was easy and while it's nice to always have AA when the money goes it you need to gamble and I can't see pasing up this spot to get a hug stack
Old 10-25-2007, 05:43 PM

So with the antes now included we need ~44.4% equity to break even.

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 40.392% 27.16% 13.23% 15347135 7476961.00 { AsKd }
Hand 1: 59.608% 46.38% 13.23% 26204975 7476961.00 { TT+, AKs, AKo }

Looks like a fold to me.

FWIW, I think I'd actually fold in this spot (or at least I am telling myself I would) if I were getting 44-45% equity (about break even).

Here is why:

There are 23 players left in this tournament. We are getting closer and closer to the point where survival (just have 1 chip) means lots and lots more money.

But let's ignore that point for a minute b/c we aren't quite there yet.

Let's answer this set of questions instead:

1) How successful have I been at stealing the blinds uncontested?

2) How good are my remaining opponents?

3) Are they aggressive or nitty?

4) What is the functional utility of my present stack?

5) How much functional utility do I expect to gain by doubling up here?

Depending on the answers to these questions, I think we might have to strongly consider folding. If we are not really having any trouble stealing blinds and there is no serious functional chip utility gain by doubling here, I really don't think we should risk it.

Now I know what many of your regulars are thinking. WTF. How can we pass up a +cEV spot? And WTF, Sherman NEVER folds AK PF, how can he seriously think about doing it here? WellI agree with you. If this were the first hand of the tournament, I am never hesitating to move all in. But at this point of the MTT, $EV is starting to diverge from cEV. And even if we do double up, how much does our $EV increase? It certainly doesn't double. How much $EV do we lose if we bust here?

I don't have the answers to all these questions, but I do believe that in very close spots, when you are very deep in an MTT, you have to consider that sometimes the best play for a particular hand (in a vacuum) isn't the best play for the tournament.

I honestly think this may be one of those spots. I just don't think we gain a whole lot by doubling and that on average we lose more by busting than we gain by doubling (depending on other tournament dynamics: i.e. are we the best player, are the players folding a lot, etc.).

Beyond that, the math above indicates that we should fold here anwyhow.

Sherman