Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2007, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Obesity: deadlier than smoking...

When I start gaining weight by osmosis because ppl near me are eating cheeseburgers, I'll treat fatties like I do smokers.

(not that I don't think the weight epidemic doesn't need to be addressed as a serious social policy concern, but it's apples and oranges with the smoking epidemic).

Also, reading Drudge is really, really, really stupid.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:12 PM

This is a really dumb analogy. There are like 50 factors that relate to being obese.

To die from smoking, you have to do one thing------Smoke.

i can eat fast food everyday all day long if i work my ass off and i won't become obese. Conversely, I can eat salad with ranch dressing on it every meal and never work out and become huge.

if one specific food made you obese and lots of people ate it, then maybe this analogy wouldn't suck so hard.

for what it is worth, smoking isn't that bad. it is gross and unhealthy, but it is people's own choice and the vast majority of people that die from smoking don't do so until they are fairly old anyway.

neither of these things should be "attacked" that much. If you don't know smoking and eating fast food 12 times a day will eventually kill you, you are probably going to accidentally get hit by a bus pretty soon anyway.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:19 PM

i found this interesting on cnn today:

cnn obesity timeline map

pretty eye opening.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I start gaining weight by osmosis because ppl near me are eating cheeseburgers, I'll treat fatties like I do smokers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hasn't it been shown that the dangers of typical 2nd hand smoke is mostly a myth? The studies that showed the increased risk of lung cancer due to 2nd hand smoke were of people who lived with heavy smokers indoors for years and years, so they were constantly exposed to high levels of indoor smoke. Yet somehow the anti smoking hysteria applied this to typical outdoor 2nd hand smoke situations which is totally unfounded.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/2020/Stoss...237&page=1
Old 10-17-2007, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
for what it is worth, smoking isn't that bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol?
Old 10-17-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

i can eat fast food everyday all day long if i work my ass off and i won't become obese

[/ QUOTE ]

You will die pretty quickly though.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
um, search amazon for books under fast food industry or food additives.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you make a claim that is borderline-outrageous, and at the very least not "common knowledge", its your job to provide evidence. Evidence does not involve requesting that 2p2 purchase books off of amazon.com

ps i don't believe your claim. i've never heard of anyone who actually wanted to clean up their diet/stop eating fast food and felt unable to due to physical addictions.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2707143.stm

Google is teh hard!
Old 10-17-2007, 03:23 PM

So by additives people are referring to sugar and fats....
Old 10-17-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hasn't it been shown that the dangers of typical 2nd hand smoke is mostly a myth? The studies that showed the increased risk of lung cancer due to 2nd hand smoke were of people who lived with heavy smokers indoors for years and years, so they were constantly exposed to high levels of indoor smoke. Yet somehow the anti smoking hysteria applied this to typical outdoor 2nd hand smoke situations which is totally unfounded.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/2020/Stoss...237&page=1

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

This 2nd hand smoke garbage is just silly. I've met people actually believe that if you can smell cigarette smoke you are raising your chances of getting cancer...
Old 10-17-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Reading this article made me wonder if the same kind of zealotry that's been attacking smoking as evil and bad for society in the last decade especially, will start attacking all the things in our westernized diet that lead to obesity. Hell, their should be commercials in front of fast food places with 100's of body bags because because obesity kills!

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you not been noticing the trans-fat lawsuits and legislative rulings that have been popping up?

Still, overeating doesn't affect others' health, directly, unlike cigarette smoke. So, there may be less of an aggressive response.