Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 11:44 PM

Default I have a triathlon in 6 days. Help me.

Being the sucker I am for stupid athletic contests, I volunteered to represent my fraternity in the intramural triathlon this coming Sunday. It consists of a 1/2 mile swim, a 4 mile run, and a 16 mile bike ride. I consider myself to be in better shape than many people, I can run 2.5 miles in about 15 minutes and bike 9-10 in 20 minutes. However, a) these are the furthest distances I have ever gone and b) I have never swam for distance in my life.

Today I ran 2.5 miles and then biked 6, then followed it with some assorted ab exercises. Tomorrow I will go to the pool and swim - I know basic freestyle stroke technique but if any swimmers can give me pointers it would help a lot. I'll report back after my first swimming experience; I want to swim the full half mile. If I'm alive after that, I'll hit the streets and run.

Anyone who is experienced in events like this and especially training for them: how much better shape can I be in by the end of the week (I plan to make Friday my last training day) and what is the best way to get there? Also, I quit drinking and smoking til then...it's going to be a rough week.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:47 AM

Default Re: I have a triathlon in 6 days. Help me.

[ QUOTE ]
how much better shape can I be in by the end of the week (I plan to make Friday my last training day) and what is the best way to get there?

[/ QUOTE ]
Whatever you do this week will not help. If anything, it will just make you more fatigued. It takes your body 10-14 days to adapt to endurance type training so you are basically going to race untrained. Enjoy the pain, you're screwed.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Whatever you do this week will not help. If anything, it will just make you more fatigued. It takes your body 10-14 days to adapt to endurance type training so you are basically going to race untrained. Enjoy the pain, you're screwed.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer. You may, however, be able to work on your swim stroke somewhat over the week. Your endurance is what it is, so just deal with that, but get to the pool 5x this week and have someone who knows what the [censored] he is doing to tell you how to correct your stroke. You are NOT practicing your swim to gain endurance, so swim easy and work on your stroke, which probably sucks.

The Total Immersion books are phenomenal for triathletes, as the focus is on swimming more efficiently, not on swimming faster (although speed is a side effect of efficiency). Learning to swim a lap in 34 strokes rather than 44 strokes, but in the same time has helped me tremendously in that I'm far fresher coming out of the water.

Do no more than cursory runs/bikes this week (maybe take a day to cruise the bike course). You are not going to build any endurance, and if you'd been training properly to this point, you'd be tapering DOWN this week, not adding distance.

Get your equipment checked out, get your bike to the LBS for a checkup. Read a bit on transitions, race starts and the like. Large events can be a real clusterfuck, so a bit of prep can help you to be less confused on race day.

On race day, remind yourself constantly that your only real goal is to complete the damn thing. Swim slow, bike easy, run as best you can. At these distances, you are going to be at it for 90 minutes or so. You are not going to win, and trying to finish each event at the front of the pack will only result in collapse.

You may want to peruse the forums at www.beginnertriathlete.com.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Old 09-04-2007, 03:58 AM

I wouldnt really train at all. You arent going to help yourself any, and all you are going to potentially do is wear yourself down. The best thing you can do is make sure you are really hydrated before the race (start carrying around a gallon jub a few days before the race and drink drink drink). Other than that, just make sure and get lots of rest.

During the race, make sure and stay hydrated! And just take it slow, dont blow up during the swim or the bike. You arent going to win or even do well, so just make sure you finish.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:07 PM

You can run 2.5 miles in 15 min (6:00 pace) and are worried about a 4 mile run? WTF?
Old 09-05-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can run 2.5 miles in 15 min (6:00 pace) and are worried about a 4 mile run? WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

I really dont believe OP could do this for a lot of reasons
Old 09-06-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-06-2007, 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you think all 2p2ers resemble Dids? This is incredibly dumb to say unless you know me; either way I'll lay a significant sum on me being able to do this
Old 09-06-2007, 02:16 AM

Also, I get the feeling you guys think this is serious biz where everyone has been training all summer - most fraternities (including my own) are throwing a bunch of pledges out as their teams; I think anyone in decent shape who can finish has a chance of winning.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:09 AM

The distances aren't actually that scary, except for the swim.
Anyone in decent shape should be able to manage 16 mile bike (hell I used to do that to get to university some days) and a 4 mile run.

Problem is, you won't be in decent shape after a 1/2 mile swim if you don't have good technique. Basically, only flutter your legs enough to stay afloat - all the hard work should be done by your arms. If you can get lessons from a competitive swimmer in the next couple days re technique do so.
Whoever said