Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2007, 08:15 PM

Default Re: Why should God be any more believable than the Tooth Fairy?

[ QUOTE ]

The stuff in the Bible about creation and heaven, it all defies rational explanation, just like the tooth fairy, so why do people belive in it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have an assignment for you. Read all the threads in which I have participated over the last two years. When you're done, in about six months, repost this question.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:24 PM

God didn't claim to write a book, as people imply. It is those people who claim that God wrote the book. Likewise, I can just as unreasonably claim that the tooth fairy wrote a book, or that the tooth fairy created the universe, or anything that God did, it was really the tooth fairy, and because I have a vivid imagination I'm sure I could concoct some convoluted, sideways story that would be annoyingly difficult to disprove, just like Genesis and everything else in the Bible is, becuase people can make all kinds of claims regarding figurative interpretations, etc. So basically from what I've read in this thread the only difference between God and the tooth fairy is that some people claim to have personal experienced where God spoke to them, etc. Well guess what I just had a tooth fairy experience, she was wearing a bikini and flashed her boobs to me and then one thing led to antoher and wow it was an unreal experience, and oh yeah I just remembered Jesus loves me more than you so HAHA.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well guess what I just had a tooth fairy experience, she was wearing a bikini and flashed her boobs to me and then one thing led to antoher and wow it was an unreal experience,

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt you are telling the truth. Of course I can't know for sure. Neither can you know if I'm telling the truth about my experience. But I know my experience intimately. And your speculations about it don't change that.

PairTheBoard
Old 05-24-2007, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So basically from what I've read in this thread the only difference between God and the tooth fairy is that some people claim to have personal experienced where God spoke to them, etc. Well guess what I just had a tooth fairy experience, she was wearing a bikini and flashed her boobs to me and then one thing led to antoher and wow it was an unreal experience, and oh yeah I just remembered Jesus loves me more than you so HAHA.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's true a skeptic has difficulty distinguishing between your religious claims and mine (though would possibly hope yours was a reflection of spiritual truth rather than mine). I acknowledge completely that nobody should give any weight to my religious beliefs, they are practically indistinguishable from a host of others' competing claims.

Nonetheless, there is a difference between claiming a belief in God because of personal experience and claiming a belief in the tooth fairy because your parents told you they exist.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
o basically, your tooth fairy story is full of holes (or cavities, whatever).

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL nh
Old 05-25-2007, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well guess what I just had a tooth fairy experience, she was wearing a bikini and flashed her boobs to me and then one thing led to antoher and wow it was an unreal experience,

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt you are telling the truth. Of course I can't know for sure. Neither can you know if I'm telling the truth about my experience. But I know my experience intimately. And your speculations about it don't change that.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to tell us more about your experiences?
Old 05-25-2007, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was responding in a Role to the Role he was playing.

PairTheBoard
Old 05-25-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

Even so, since we are on the subject, have you had any? and would you like to share?
Old 05-25-2007, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

Even so, since we are on the subject, have you had any? and would you like to share?

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience is the story of my life. You can read about it if I ever write the book. Meanwhile, what you see of me here is what you get. I suggest you read all of my posts in the archives. I'm waiting for Arahant to offer me a couple of million for the publishing rights to them.

PairTheBoard
Old 05-25-2007, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't help. PTb treats his interpretation of his experience as part of the experience. It works for him.

luckyme