Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2007, 12:51 AM

Default Blind steal hand

Villian is a little more passive postflop than 2p2ers but is a thinking winning player. I open Js8s on the button, sb 3bets (range is something like 55+, A9+, maybe looser)

Flop (7sb): Ah 8c 3s
He bets, I call

Turn (4.5bb): 7d
He bets, I call.

River (6.5bb): As
He bets, I fold.

Here’s my thinking behind calling the turn and not the river. On the turn it’s possible that he’s firing again with a small pair or KQ plus I have outs so I think it’s an easy call with my pair. After calling on such a drawless board Villian pretty much has to know that I have a pair, which means that he is only betting the river as a value bet. I can beat a few hands, but not enough to call.
Old 01-17-2007, 12:53 AM

Default Re: Blind steal hand

The whole hand looks fairly standard to me. Sometimes I raise the turn here, FWIW, but I don't really want to go into that too much. It really depends on the player.

Rob
Old 01-17-2007, 12:58 AM

Since you were willing to let the hand go before showdown, I would have been inclinced to raise either the flop or the turn.

But the way you played it was ok too.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:13 AM

On the flop, I think I would either: call him down, or raise the flop, bet the turn, and take a free showdown (folding to a 3-bet or CR). For an extra SB you get to see a showdown, and you could save a SB if he 3-bets the flop.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:54 AM

My preference would be to raise the flop. You have position and might win the pot here. If he's a little passive, he may give up a hand without an A.

If he three bets the flop you can fold the turn unimproved (assuming he leads).

If he calls, I might be tempted to check behind and call a river bet if he leads. This is very situation specific based on reads, history and the like. (Also, it is unclear if this is a live hand or online). My turn check behind/bet quotient might be something like 60/40 following a called flop raise.

As you played it, when that second ace hits the river, I'd be more inclined to call his river bet.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he calls, I might be tempted to check behind and call a river bet if he leads. This is very situation specific based on reads, history and the like. (Also, it is unclear if this is a live hand or online). My turn check behind/bet quotient might be something like 60/40 following a called flop raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

...after further consideration, a turn check behind is terrible. I bet the turn if my flop raise is called and fold to a raise.

If he calls the turn following this line, I frequently check the river figuring he can't call with very many hands which I beat.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:22 AM

Sorry, I forgot to mention that this was live. So this guys not getting too crazy with anything. My standard line in these spots is usually to raise the flop, bet the turn, and check the river UI. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that but it just didn’t feel best here. My sense was that this guy would not keep firing the whole way down without something decent. Combinatorialy I figure I’m about a 2-1 dog to his range on the flop (and an underdog to improve) so I’m not looking to put a lot of money in here. The line I took is the cheapest but has the obvious problems of not charging him when I’m ahead and never winning with the worst hand.

Again, this isn’t a standard line for me, just one that I thought might go here. I guess my big question is, is this line something you would ever use. Or is it just too weak-tight and I have to suck it up and put a raise in somewhere? Thanks a lot for the responses so far.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I forgot to mention that this was live. So this guys not getting too crazy with anything. My standard line in these spots is usually to raise the flop, bet the turn, and check the river UI. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that but it just didn’t feel best here. My sense was that this guy would not keep firing the whole way down without something decent. Combinatorialy I figure I’m about a 2-1 dog to his range on the flop (and an underdog to improve) so I’m not looking to put a lot of money in here. The line I took is the cheapest but has the obvious problems of not charging him when I’m ahead and never winning with the worst hand.

Again, this isn’t a standard line for me, just one that I thought might go here. I guess my big question is, is this line something you would ever use. Or is it just too weak-tight and I have to suck it up and put a raise in somewhere? Thanks a lot for the responses so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on this read and line of thought, I'd fold the turn, not having enough outs to see the river. If my math is right you're getting 5 to 1 from the pot to catch an 8.2 to 1 shot with your 5 outer. If you're suitably convinced he's ahead at the turn, that's the time to muck.

Not that the label matters, but the turn call isn't weak/tight. Its a loose call based on your assesment of the hand at that point.

That it is live makes a difference. I'd be more inclined to give a typical live opponent in a mid-limit game credit for a winning hand here.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:49 AM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

Just raise the flop here. In order to stick in so many bets and then not showdown you should have a really good reason and here you don't.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:28 PM

I like a raise on the flop... easy fold on the turn if he bets into you again. If he checks (due to flop raise)... you get a free card to catch-up in case he has 99 or 10-10 and the ace is just scaring him.