Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 07:57 PM

Default Re: NCAAF Rank\' Em (approaching Week 13)

[ QUOTE ]
Oops, my bad...those are the teams Kansas has beaten this year. You guys voting them #1 or #2: do you honestly think they are better than the other top teams, or are you just ranking them there because they haven't lost yet, and that's how the rankings work? I'll give them some respect if they somehow beat both Mizzou and Oklahoma, but today, Kansas wouldn't even crack my Top 10.

[/ QUOTE ]

OU's schedule isn't a whole lot better than Kansas', and no one has been hammering them on it. Yes, KU has played a weak schedule, but IMO it says a lot that they are the only undefeated team in BCS conferences. Not having them in your top 10 at this point would be a little absurd. You'd have them behind 4 two loss teams? Including OU who lost to a Colorado team that KU beat? (just using the AP to judge as teams you may have above them).

While KU didn't have anyone non-conference, it wasn't their fault that their conference schedule was so weak this year, it just worked out that way that their South games were easy. Beating OSU, KSU, Texas A&M, and Colorado on the road has to count for something. Granted, none of those are elite teams.

I don't think KU is the best team in the country, I think they will lose to MU. Still, I think they have handled the cupcakes by wide margins and being undefeated at this point in this crazy year is impressive.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, KU has played a weak schedule, but IMO it says a lot that they are the only undefeated team in BCS conferences.

[/ QUOTE ]

Find me one quality win. I don't see how their conference is relevant when they haven't beaten anyone.

[ QUOTE ]
Not having them in your top 10 at this point would be a little absurd. You'd have them behind 4 two loss teams? Including OU who lost to a Colorado team that KU beat? (just using the AP to judge as teams you may have above them).

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't buy into this A-beat-B-who-beat-C crap. Anybody can have one bad week. The difference is that Oklahoma beat Mizzou and Texas (in Austin)...Kansas has beaten no one. I'd put Kansas behind all of the relevant two loss teams AND a three loss Florida. Seriously, if you can defend that with anything besides "they haven't lost," that would help your argument.

[ QUOTE ]
While KU didn't have anyone non-conference, it wasn't their fault that their conference schedule was so weak this year

[/ QUOTE ]

It's their fault that their non-conference schedule is so weak. Also, this is irrelevant.

[ QUOTE ]
Beating OSU, KSU, Texas A&M, and Colorado on the road has to count for something.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does. That's why I was nice enough to put them in my top 15, unlike Hawaii.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:18 PM

Kos,

I can't find your top 15 list.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kos,

I can't find your top 15 list.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, I didn't really make one...I just said that Kansas wasn't in my top 10, sort of implying that they cracked my top 15.

[ QUOTE ]
Uhhhh, Oklahoma and Texas play at a neutral field every year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'm from Texas, and I somehow forgot this. My bad.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Eh, I didn't really make one...I just said that Kansas wasn't in my top 10, sort of implying that they cracked my top 15.

[/ QUOTE ]\

I need to know which 14 teams should be ranked higher than Kansas.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:15 AM

Looking at the at large BCS possibilities;

ACC-No chance. Three teams have two losses and they all play each other. No way a three loss team comes from the ACC.

Big East-Intersting conference here. If UConn can beat WVU, they win the conference and WVU is probably in as an at large. If WVU wins, they are most likely the lone rep from the Big East.

Big 12-A lock to get two teams in from Kansas/Missouri/Oklahoma/Texas.

Big 10-No chance.

Pac 10-If Oregon wins out, then the ASU/USC game is basically for a birth in the Fiesta Bowl. If ASU beats USC and Oregon loses, it could be touchy, although a three loss team could make it from the Pac 10. ASU is still very alive in the national championship picture, which would make a Pac 10 team a lock to play in the Rose Bowl as an at large.

SEC-A lock to get two teams, no matter what. LSU is in, and the second spot will go to Georgia or Florida.

Other-This Saturday's game between Boise St and Hawaii is HUGE. The winner has a very good chance to get an at large birth.

Summary;
Locks-SEC, Big 12
Likely-Pac 10, Other
Need UConn win-Big East, ASU
No chance-ACC, Big 10
Old 11-19-2007, 01:22 AM

If WVU beats Uconn and Boise/Hawaii don't make it then a Big Ten or ACC team will almost have to. I've never thought about it but what if no last at large team qualified? Not top 14 or whatever and 2 from all other conferences were taken.

Also ASU is winning the Pac 10 so would not go to the fiesta if they win out.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:06 PM

Uhhhh, Oklahoma and Texas play at a neutral field every year.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:24 PM

Of the 4 common opponents, KU has a margin of victory 33 points greater than OU. KU is 4-0 against these opponents while OU is 3-1. OU's 2 loses don't even come from Mizzou or Texas. Other than when Kansas beats them in two weeks, what is a more fair way of evaluating which team is better other than your opinion?
Old 11-18-2007, 11:47 PM

Should be interesting, considering that a team has to be ranked in the top 14 in the BCS system to get an at-large bid and no conference can have more than 2 teams in BCS bowls.

SEC and Big12 could have 7 of the top 14 teams, but only get 4 slots.

Big10/11 could end up with only 1, unless Illinois moves up from #17 without playing a game.