Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Were you going to pay the $10 for live stats on Yahoo?
Yes, what fun is it without live stats? 18 66.67%
No, I'll just check in Monday and see if I won or lost 7 25.93%
I'm not sure. 2 7.41%
Just show me the results / I'm not in the league 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-2007, 03:28 PM

Default Re: Let\'s Face the Facts, Yankee Fans

[ QUOTE ]

A - the Yankees have been drafting horribly

[/ QUOTE ]

cano? kennedy? wang? tabata? hughes? clippard? jesus montero? (although montero was signed internationally - not drafted)

i would say things don't look so bad
Old 05-29-2007, 03:30 PM

Tiger, I'm confused - are you really saying that the Yankees should be 11 deep at starter? Or even six deep? Such a thing is nearly impossible without having significant young depth, which the Yankees lack.

The problem with the bench is - who'd want to play on the Yankees' bench? All their guys are All-Stars or former All-Stars, so you're going to get fringe players who might not have a major league job otherwise. The Yankees aren't going to pay top dollar for a backup.

Other than 1B, I don't see a serious problem with the Yankee bench.

karak more than half the guys you mentioned are nowhere near the majors. plz to be talking about 2000-2004, around that time. furthermore wang and cano were not drafted. the yankees' farm system is getting good now, but it was wretched for several seasons, and this is the result.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Giambi, Abreu, Damon, even Clemens too? Cmon. Can you honestly say that the Yankees are doing a good job in putting a team together? I think Zod has more or less nailed it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, gettings lots and lots of all stars is a recipe for success. The Yankees aren't below .500 because of the under performance of these guys. They're under .500 because they're fielding absolute garbage beyond these guys.

Nieves? Melky? Cairo? Phelps? Mientkiewicz? This is not a major league bench. These guys should be a lot further down on a depth chart of a 200 million team.

Igawa? Rasner? Karstens? DeSalvo? Wright? Clippard? These are not the starters that should be relied upon for a team with 200 million dollars to spend. Give Clemens the 10 starts that DeSalvo, Karstens, Clippard and Wright have taken and the Yankees are in a whole lot better shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? This is very wrong.
Old 05-29-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tiger, I'm confused - are you really saying that the Yankees should be 11 deep at starter? Or even six deep? Such a thing is nearly impossible without having significant young depth, which the Yankees lack.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Yankees came into the season with three solid starters. Wang, Pettitte, and Mussina. Pettitte and Mussina are on the wrong side of 35 and aren't the most likely guys to make 30 turns. Matsuzaka would have been a great addition. If they added a Meche or a Suppan, we wouldn't have had to see the AAA staff comprising 3/5 of the rotation for much of April and May. Even getting Clemens to come for the whole year could have alleviated some of these problems.

Carlos Pena could have been added for peanuts at 1B and is a much better option than Minky or Phelps to start. Helton is on the trading block. Millar is still hanging around, the Yankees have a great advantage, in being able to give out silly good deals for backups like they did for Lofton and Womack a few years back. Which is what I thought they were doing with Minky, and then they never signed a 1B/DH.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:13 PM

if you count hughes, which you should, they came in with 4 solid starters. why is everyone talking about the rotation like it is a disaster, people are getting carried away with the negativity.

obviously the yankees went through a period where they drafted, traded, and signed horribly, but that is clearly ending. hughes and wang are two great young starters they have recently produced and i see no reason to say that past mistakes will repeat themselves.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:25 PM

the team came into the season also with carl pavano and kei igawa as possible starters. i know pavano stinks and i wanted him off the team, but they couldn't've expected igawa to be as awful as he's been. throw in that rasner and karstens are slightly below replacement and the yankees' pitching wasn't that bad coming into the season.
Old 05-29-2007, 07:28 PM

triumph i think if we are talking about 2001-2006 and the yankees' failures in the playoffs... we need to point to luck as a large part of it
Old 05-29-2007, 08:23 PM

The Pavano signing wasn't hidious when it was done. Seriously, talk about results oriented analysis at its finest. Scouts said he had a great arm, just came off a good season, and was entering his prime, which is what hte yankees needed. Its not their fault he ended up like this:

Old 05-29-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
triumph i think if we are talking about 2001-2006 and the yankees' failures in the playoffs... we need to point to luck as a large part of it

[/ QUOTE ]

we're not - we're pointing to the yankees [censored] drafting during that time.

and if we want to look for playoff luck we need to look at 96-2000 ldo

mcwilliams, the pavano signing wasn't that good when it was made, but obviously no one expected this.
Old 05-29-2007, 09:19 PM

Default Re: ~~~ OFFICIAL YANKEES 2007 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS OR BUST THREAD ~~

what the [censored]