Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 10:03 AM

Default OOT Sleep Experts: What kind of mattress do you have?

I'm not sleeping very well recently. It typically takes me 30 minutes to an hour to finally get to sleep when I go to bed. I toss and turn a lot, and often wake up sporadically during the night. Even worse, I sometimes have a minor ache in my back. The main suspect: my piece of [censored] bed.

This bed was bought from Ikea a few years ago, and features a frame and a $300 mattress. I also put a 2 inch memory foam on top of it, but this basically does nothing. I'm just not that comfortable when I sleep.

I am seriously considering buying a new mattress, but had a few questions...

For all you lucky folk who get at least 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep a night, what type of mattress do you sleep on? Any good suggestions? I'm a noob when it comes to bed-related stuff, but prefer a soft but not too soft mattress.

Can I get a really good mattress for ~$500, or will I have to pay much more? FYI, I only need a mattress, not a frame or box spring or anything. Recently, I stayed in a Heavenly Bed at the Westin and never slept better. Looking online though, I'll have to pay north of $1200 for one of these babies. Is it worth the investment?

Anybody have a Tempurpedic? Once again, expensive as hell, but perhaps worth it? I hear you sweat a lot in these things as well.

This would be a full size bed, btw. Thanks duders.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:08 AM

Default Re: OOT Sleep Experts: What kind of mattress do you have?

[ QUOTE ]
Recently, I stayed in a Heavenly Bed at the Westin and never slept better. Looking online though, I'll have to pay north of $1200 for one of these babies. Is it worth the investment?

[/ QUOTE ]

see this thread on fatwallet discussing this bed and the current sale.

I went with the consensus and bought a Queen plush bed + separate featherbed for $750 delivered. I haven't received it yet, but I think this should be a great deal.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Recently, I stayed in a Heavenly Bed at the Westin and never slept better. Looking online though, I'll have to pay north of $1200 for one of these babies. Is it worth the investment?

[/ QUOTE ]

I went with the consensus and bought a Queen plush bed + separate featherbed for $750 delivered. I haven't received it yet, but I think this should be a great deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa, I somehow missed this post the first time. What an amazing deal. Thanks.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:18 PM

I play poker with a sales rep from Sleepy's and he told me that the TempurPedics are totally worth it. He sells all type of mattresses and people always call back and complain about every type of mattress except the TempurPedics. There is an adjustment period of up to a week before your body adjusts to sleeping on foam which behaves like air. Some people don't like sinking into the bed and they have come out w/ two new technologies, a bed that feels just like a regular bed and the new TempurPedic HD which comforms faster so you don't notice the sink. You eventually settle at the optimal level but the HD version adjusts faster. You can search all these online forums, opinion sites, etc... and you won't find many complaints about them. The other thing is you can finance all of these mattresses. While they go from $1400 to $7200, you can get some kind of 36 or 48 month no interest payment plan. If sleeping well will make your life more enjoyable and more productive, its worth it.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play poker with a sales rep from Sleepy's and he told me that the TempurPedics are totally worth it... If sleeping well will make your life more enjoyable and more productive, its worth it.

[/ QUOTE ]
everyone needs to get a pillow today.im adding the bed as soon as i can afford the expanse. pillow was like 100$ and have never slept as well as i do with it. it is life changing....not on the level of a broke person winning 100mill on powerball but on the level of having an apartment on the 40th floor one block from the beach only to have your ocean view obstructed by a 42 story building. the purchase of the pillow is equivalent to the 42 story building being demolished.mofoking life changing mofoker.lol lifenhancAments.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:42 PM

I own a tempurpedic. Paid for it with my moving allowance from work. I just got a standard full.. I think it ran me $1300 or so. I'm a huge fan. And even if they cost more, they also last twice as long as most beds.

I also own a pillow.. I'm less thrilled with it. I got the "normal" style pillow, not the crazy curvy shaped one. Sometimes it's great and I love it, but sometimes I find it too bulky and either use my standard pillow or none at all.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:56 PM

Default UPDATE on the bed situation

All,

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who gave their input. An even bigger thanks goes out to Kneel B4 Zod, who directed me towards this website:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Folks, this deal is amazing, and I strongly suggest you should check it out before the sale ends. I ended up getting a full pillowtop Heavenly Bed for $561 delivered. Before I actually bought it, I printed out the details and went to Sleepy's, just to make sure it was as comfortable as I remembered. Sure enough, they had the bed, and it retailed for close to $1200 (the salesman gave me a 'deal' and brought it down to $750). More importantly, he also told me that if I could find it cheaper anywhere else, they'd match the price and take an additional 20% off. "O RLY? Well suck on this" as I showed him the $561 bill.

He looked in over carefully, and told me he couldn't make the exchange because the version of the Heavenly Bed that Sleepy's sells is an upgrade from the $561 bed I showed him (660 coils compaired to upgraded 800 coils). I told him thanks, but no thanks -- I'll stick with the $561 version.

"Well hold on, hold on. Let me call up Sleepy's inventory and see if we can find a comparable bed."

LOL, nice. After a 5 minutes phone conversation, they tell him they don't have that bed in stock anymore (it's discontinued), so they told him to give me the upgraded bed at the same price. Awesome. The salesman looked like he wanted to slug me in the face.

Anyway, it was delivered the next day. I spent my first night on it last night, and it truly lives up to it's name. Even better, I was lucky enough to test it out last night with this girl I'm semi-dating. It's sturdy. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

Thanks again.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:12 AM

I'm glad you made this thread because 'Chair and I have been having the exact same issues. We also have a standard crappy mattress with memory foam topper.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:19 AM

I purchased a Kingsdown plush from Sleepy's about 2 weeks ago. I have back issues and so far the mattress is perfect for me. Of course, I am a 39 year old guy who has needs a softer bed.

We went to the store 4 different times and spent 10-20 minutes on each mattress that we were considering. You aren't going to make the right the decision spending 2-3 minutes on 15 different mattresses. Just go knowing you will be there a while and slowly narrow down the range. Then come back in a couple of days and narrow it further. Finally, come back one final time before deciding.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:30 AM

Sleepnumber beds for my wife and me. We had terrible nights sleeping with an old bed. I was starting to get terrible chest cramps with the way I was sleeping. I would wake up almost crying I was in so much pain.

We bought this bed and have had no issues since then. Terrific bed, and it's great cause they allow each person to make their side whatever they want.

Things you think would be problems but aren't:
1) Problems with the two halves being uneven. I have a much lower number than my wife, and while I notice a little difference in it, it's not uncomfortable at all if I'm rolling from one side to the other.
2) Doin' the nasty. No issues at all, don't even notice the difference in the sides. Even if your two numbers are that different, just set them to the same number before hand.

- C -