Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2007, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Mucking and showing hands

At oceans, it goes like this...

The two people at showdown: One Bet, One called.

The one who bet shows cards first. The one who calls has option to fold. If the BETTER asks to see cards, the callers cards are kept live and shown. If the callers cards make the best hand, they win.

If a PLAYER uninvolved in showdown (rude azz) asks to see callers cards, then the callers cards are killed (touch the muck) and exposed. Then if callers cards would have won, they are dead- and bettor takes the pot.

If I am either bettor or caller in a showdown and someone asks to see my mucked hand, I am cordial and show- however I make a mental note to later try to tilt that player. (through making them show, slow play, whatever) because- yah- it's considered very rude if collusion isn't suspected.
Old 11-20-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What difference does it make who shows first? It still doesn't change the fact p2 paid to see p1's cards.

If anyone is guilty of bad form, it's p1.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...first of all you don't pay, you bet. And you don't bet to see players cards. You bet to win money, either with the best hand or by getting your opponent to fold.

And it makes a difference because if P2 had allowed the rules to take effect P1 would have been required to show first, therefore P2 gets to see P1's hand, rather than looking like an ass and demanding to see it after the fact
Old 11-20-2007, 05:16 PM

If anyone ever informed me that they were paying to see my cards, I would offer them my cards in exchange for the pot.

And I'm not joking either...
Old 11-20-2007, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What difference does it make who shows first? It still doesn't change the fact p2 paid to see p1's cards.

If anyone is guilty of bad form, it's p1.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...first of all you don't pay, you bet. And you don't bet to see players cards. You bet to win money, either with the best hand or by getting your opponent to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't players occasionally make -ev calls in order to gain information? Doesn't seeing how your opponents play various hands help you make money?

On televised poker, when a player flops a monster, but no one else has a hand, don't the announcers regularly say "He's gonna have a hard time getting PAID"?
Old 11-21-2007, 12:53 AM

Interesting.

When I played at Lucky Chances in SF, was just as GinaSD described-- if BETTOR asks, hand still live (and once I saw bettor throw a fit because the shown cards were actually winning hand and bettor lost the pot) but if other players at table ask, hand is tapped on muck first. At low limits games, $3-6, ignorant players would ask this fairly often, though it seems they did so out of boredom because the info never seemed to help them.

However, just recently, at Bally's in Atlantic City, situations came up and dealers at different tables each do different things! LOL! I was intrigued and wanted to know the rule (I personally never asked to see a hand) because it had been so explicit at Lucky Chances. The floor at Bally's said the rules were just changed and you had to be IN the hand at showdown to ask. But mostly when people ask, the dealer IGNORES them, MUCKS the hand and then folks bitch and call the floor who says "Oops, you're right but she mucked them already."

My point being, I guess it does vary depending on where you play.