Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 11:37 AM

Default Re: what do christians say about chinese people

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Everybody has the opportunity , whether the individual chooses to accept it is another matter.

[/ QUOTE ]
This isn't true.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW.....your post is so enlightening.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Once again, I restate that they had the opportunity. Just as we today have the opportunity. I did not say they were forced to take it, just that the Word was presented to them. It is up to each person to decide for themselves. The Bible says there will be false prophets, always has been, always will be.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you think their opportunity was on par with the one you were given? Do you think these destroyed peoples truly had the same kind of access to the Bible and Christianity that you do? These aren't rhetorical questions. Think about this critically for a few minutes before you answer.

Surely God knew that putting people in China and surrounding them with social/cultural obstacles would make them highly unlikely to find Christianity. So he created millions of people for the express purpose of being destroyed? Again, I ask, what good is this "opportunity" if God knows we won't find it or take it?
Old 08-23-2007, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
WOW.....your post is so enlightening.

[/ QUOTE ]
tpir did a nice job in the post above about access to Christianity a couple millenia ago. Even today there are groups of people with no familiarity to Christian ideas. These people haven't "had their chance" and chose not to seize it, they're just completely ignorant of Jesus.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Once again, I restate that they had the opportunity. Just as we today have the opportunity. I did not say they were forced to take it, just that the Word was presented to them. It is up to each person to decide for themselves. The Bible says there will be false prophets, always has been, always will be.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you think their opportunity was on par with the one you were given? Do you think these destroyed peoples truly had the same kind of access to the Bible and Christianity that you do? These aren't rhetorical questions. Think about this critically for a few minutes before you answer.

Surely God knew that putting people in China and surrounding them with social/cultural obstacles would make them highly unlikely to find Christianity. So he created millions of people for the express purpose of being destroyed? Again, I ask, what good is this "opportunity" if God knows we won't find it or take it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it on par with what I have at my disposal, no it wasn't. That's obvious. But all I said was, they had the chance. Keep in mind this was before Christ was sent ot Earth. It is one of the reasons why he was sent.

If you are really concerned about the spreading of the gospel, I suggest you study the book of Revelation. Part of the end times prophecy is that everyone shall hear the word of God before the end times.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are really concerned about the spreading of the gospel, I suggest you study the book of Revelation. Part of the end times prophecy is that everyone shall hear the word of God before the end times.

[/ QUOTE ]

How come some people are so privileged to have the truth revealed to them directly by god and others have to hear about it second hand?
Old 08-23-2007, 12:17 PM

Tpir, first, I will agree with you that many passages of the Bible are absurd. You won't get much argument from me there. Perhaps I was too quick to say that you paint all Christians with the same brush, but when you quote passages from the bible, then imply "see, this is how they react" by your cite of the Crusades, well, I interpreted it as your view of all Christians, and I still view it as selective history.

I jumped to my conclusions because I find that there are two types of atheists/agnostics, ones that don't feel like pushing their beliefs on others, and the militant atheists/agnos., ones that strongly believe they should get rid of religon. If you go to atheists forums like me you would know that there is a an almost angry rift with the militants and non-militants on how we should handle religon. It seems like 80% of the time, when someone uses a historical example and quotes messages from a relgions beliefs system, they belong to the militant group. A lot of the ones I've talked to in person (there are a lot of them in college campuses) tend to come from highly religious families, and it is obvious where their spite comes from. I find many of them to be very dangerous, because not only are they so full of hatred towards another group, but they tend to be very intelligent. When I hear them talk I can only think "Oh my god, I hope you don't get any power in the future". I can only wonder if atheists that outlawed religion thoughout history exhibted these characteristics.

If you haven't already figured it out, I belong to the former, and I find the methods of militant atheists, stereotyping all religious people as evil through selective history (to get non-relgious people on their side) and purposely seeking out religious people (to get religious people to unbelieve) to be manipulative and tasteless. In addition, I find their need to get rid of religion, and the methods they discuss in order to do it, to be borderline fascist. At the same time, while these people are disgusted when religious people try to convert them, they go off and do the same damn thing. Again some of the characterisics looks similar to your posts, but since there is no direct evidence you were trying to do this, only speculation, I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions. Through the tone of your post, I might have lumped you with the militants a little to quickly, and may have wrongly attributed other characteristics of that group to you. However, judging by your posts I am still not completely convinced. Even then, I apologize for saying that you were trying to paint all Christians as evil when it wasn't completely clear that you were. I think I've said everything I wanted to say about this topic, and this is most likely my last post on this thread.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's called the Great Commission:

It is the explicit message of our Lord Jesus Christ to those whom He has saved that they are sent forth by Him into the world even as He was sent forth of His Father into the world. After they are saved, they are divinely reckoned to be related to this world as strangers and pilgrims, ambassadors and witnesses, and that their primary purpose in life should be to make Jesus Christ known to the whole world (Matt. 28:18–19; Mark 16:15; John 17:18; Acts 1:8; 2 Cor. 5:18–20; 1 Pet. 1:17; 2:11).

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's another good Bible verse:

Acts 16:6
Now when they had gone throughout Phrygia and the region of Galatia, and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia.

Too bad for Asia I guess.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:09 PM

JTD, you read way too much into what I posted. My quoting of the Bible was to get a response from the people in this forum that do take it seriously and/or literally. Of which there are quite a few.

Calling me -- or anyone for that matter -- anti-religious is not easy to get away with since "religion" is such a catch-all term. I am all for people having spiritual feelings and experiences. But I am anti-myth, anti-superstition and anti-faith-replacing-reason. Not sure what tag I earn for that, I concede I never cared much about the labels.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At the same time, while these people are disgusted when religious people try to convert them, they go off and do the same damn thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's treating it as 'the SAME damn thing' that causes you to come away with the view you have.

If somebody has a belief that supports the spread of aids or the mutilation of young children or that some power will prevent harm or demand harm or ...

and you want them to give their head a shake about accepting dogma as fact. How is that 'the same thing'?

Skepticism doesn't bring it own set of beliefs, merely that one require some sound basis for claims. Atheism doesn't demand that you believe the top quark does X or that the world is a sphere or that teenagers should drive or that homosexuals should be in the military or ..

It merely claims that you can't pull this stuff out of you azz and then expect to have such views respected by intelligent, informed members of society.

As Dennett has put it, it's the Belief in Belief that needs battling.

luckyme
Old 08-23-2007, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There was a question asked (sort of), which I answered with a satifactory Biblical answer. You then came back & made an uncalled for snide remark. So, once again, who's being distasteful??

[/ QUOTE ]
I apologize for using the word pussy. The verses you pointed out are very nice and flowery when compared to the blood and guts versions that occur earlier in the Bible. That is all. At no point did I say that all Christians are pussies (or anything for that matter).

[ QUOTE ]
Additionally, during the times of the Amorites, Hittites, etc there were prophets of the Old Testament preaching the gospel. They had their chance. The Chinese people are being witnessed to in today's times same as the Indians in India. So they are having their chance now. Everybody has the opportunity, whether the individual chooses to accept it is another matter.

[/ QUOTE ]
They did? Put yourself in the shoes of the Amorites for a second, how could they possibly discern between the "true" Christian prophets and all of the other people who claimed to know what was going on at the time? Seems like a big confusing mess that an all-knowing God would be understanding of, no? Also, what good is a chance if God already knows we won't take it?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Chinese people are being witnessed to NOW. That is your response? That doesn't bother you? Quick question, how many dead Chinese people are there?