Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-26-2007, 08:18 PM

Default serra/hughes replaced by GSP/hughes for the belt

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=Av...o&type=lgns

ftw!
Old 11-26-2007, 08:21 PM

Default Re: serra/hughes replaced by GSP/hughes for the belt

I don't really know if this deserves its own thread, especially considering there's been lengthy discussion of it in EDF in the UFC thread. I'm sure you were unaware, and I'm not trying to be a dick.

That said, a very disastrous situation almost made this card very bland. Props to Matt, Georges, and Dana for getting this arranged, and, in my eyes, making the card better as a result.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:22 PM

for the interim belt
Old 11-26-2007, 08:51 PM

MP,
Based on this thread and the Justice thread BTYS seems to follow more of a BBV style of thread starting.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MP,
Based on this thread and the Justice thread BTYS seems to follow more of a BBV style of thread starting.

[/ QUOTE ]

to be fair i've never been in EDF let alone noticed a thread discussing this there. i looked in SE, didn't see a thread about it, started one.

the justice thread was just a terrible mistake.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:24 PM

Mikey, I think ur being a little harsh. It's not reasonable to expect others to know there is a similar thread in another forum like EDF. There are quite a few forums here that many just do not go to, not to mention there are tons of people who never leave the SE forum. Sorta like people who pick up a morning newspaper and go straight to the sports section and nothing else.

Also why do you think this card is bland? Liddell and Wanderlei may not have the same lustre as it may have if this took place 2 yrs ago, but I'm also quite interested to see Sokoudjou in the UFC vs Machida. Should be a great card.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:34 PM

All,

I wasn't trying to be harsh on BTYS. If anything I wanted to point out a pretty good thread in EDF, and hoped he would join it if he's a MMA fan. I really tried to phrase it in a way that would come off as un-dickish as possible. I, admittedly, am a very big nit about this stuff.

4thstreetpete,

I don't think the card's bland, and I think if Dana just replaced the fight altogether with an average fight (something like Chonan/Parisyan for the last card), I'd still be pumped for it. It's just that 1) NYE/year end shows are always really big and 2) the UFC has built up 79 as some monster event. Removing the WW title fight (given the current situation regarding titles being in limbo) would have removed a lot of luster of this being a monster card.

I've been a huge proponent of Liddell/Silva being an absolutely monster fight, and I think it might mean as much now given the current state of their careers and what this fight may mean for them. It's just lost a lot of the mystique of title vs. title, org. vs. org, #1 vs. #1a type of hype.

Since this might get some more views from MMA fans, please take a look at my blog about MMA rankings here: http://fightlines.wordpress.com/. I don't have any ads and I'm not making any money of it, but I understand if it gets removed per 2p2 rules.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:32 PM

Hey, I checked out your site. I'm a casual MMA fan, which is to say, I love it, its fun, that's about it. I was looking for a good rankings list and was surprised at how hard it was to find one that was current. Yours looks cool so far so good, I know its a work in progress.

One question, Lawler over Franklin?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:59 PM

Yeah, some weird stuff is gonna happen in this kind of system. Franklin suffers from Okami's DQ win over Anderson a couple years ago. It removes his win from Okami which would probably propel him up a couple spots.

I actually just learned today that the Okami/Silva fight was at 175, so I may end up removing it from the records.

Lawler is actually at the spot most rankings have him at, it's more just the Okami/Silva problem.