Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 02:51 AM

Default Re: Just Got Patrik Antonius Answer To The Question I Asked Kenny Tran

this should be an argument where both sides agree to disagree. i'm not saying PA or KT are right, im just saying that they are obviously not gonna change their opinion.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
is it me or is online players some fraternity of "we are the best" and so forth.

no matter how its sliced, we are all poker players.

each realm has its own advantages and disadvantages.

but whatever, it all goes back to what ive said before. the best players play anyone anytime. i guarentee patrik will play omg and uridanger and luclongley anytime but they wont play him. ive seen it before. urindanger is sitting and patrik sits in front of him........and uridanger splits.

theres only two online guys i used to respect and thats sbrugby and durrrrr. they played anyone anytime usually but now sb is trying to figure out how to play again and durrr is just shortstacking so now i dont see how anyone from the online world can argue with kenny or patrik.

the top dogs here arent even challenging patrik on the online court where the onliners are supposed to have an edge. so what makes anyone in here think these online guys are better?

and i dont want to hear anything about how the ev is so small and all that crap. i never hear ivey or patrik or kenny talk about ev. they just play.

the online guys should either prove it or bow down or just forget the argument of the differences between online and live players. its a pussy argument on the online side because all i see is the online world "talking" and not backing it up enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the online guys don't want to play 1 guy, that makes them overall worse than the live set? I don't really follow your logic.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-24-2007, 02:55 AM

Alright, I'll chime in with my opinion (albeit worthless probably)

We all play poker, sure, but we play many different versions. That difference could be in the type of game, hold'em, omaha, stud, or mixed. It could be in the style of game, whether it be cash games, SNGs, or MTTs. And it could also be where and how we play, live or online. Now, there are people who are good at omaha, suck at hold'em. There are people who are amazing at cash games, can't last 5 minutes in a MTT. There are tons of great SNGs players who would be lost in a MTT field. We consider these players to be great at their own specific 'study' of poker. I think the same can be said for live and online. There are very few pros before the poker boom who have adjusted and played online successfully, a very big exception to this would be PA and maybe DB/Gus if you want to call them successful. The reason most online players would not be as good as live is because of the way online compares to live. Online you see 4x as many hands, can generally figue out players better (not reads, but the style they play) and so on. Many online players cannot adjust to having to play so slow, with such great concentration and study to play a NLHE cash game. The same can be said for live players trying to play online. They are lost at playing so many hands and playing more or less by feel than sitting there staring at how a player acts during a hand.

It's like saying is A better than B because A beat C while B beat D, but C and D are equal, if that makes much sense lol
Old 11-24-2007, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the answer to all this is simple. Online guys see a lot more hands and are generally just all around smarter than the old school love pros. IF and a big IF, the live guys are better at live deep stacked poker, then it would just be a matter of the top online NL pros dedicating themselves to the nuances of deep stacked play and then it would be all over for the live guys. And obviously with 100bb stacks it's not even close. The online guys would destroy the live guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

and you don't think the opposite is true for the live guys? you don't think if they farted around with 100bb stacks for a few months, they couldn't torture the online games? if so, why not?
Old 11-24-2007, 02:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this should be an argument where both sides agree to disagree. i'm not saying PA or KT are right, im just saying that they are obviously not gonna change their opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this seems like a non-productive argument really for many reasons.

But that broccoli and cheese person sounds like they have life down pretty well.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
is it me or is online players some fraternity of "we are the best" and so forth.

but whatever, it all goes back to what ive said before. the best players play anyone anytime. i guarentee patrik will play omg and uridanger and luclongley anytime but they wont play him. ive seen it before. urindanger is sitting and patrik sits in front of him........and uridanger splits.

theres only two online guys i used to respect and thats sbrugby and durrrrr. they played anyone anytime usually but now sb is trying to figure out how to play again and durrr is just shortstacking so now i dont see how anyone from the online world can argue with kenny or patrik.

the top dogs here arent even challenging patrik on the online court where the onliners are supposed to have an edge. so what makes anyone in here think these online guys are better?

and i dont want to hear anything about how the ev is so small and all that crap. i never hear ivey or patrik or kenny talk about ev. they just play.

the online guys should either prove it or bow down or just forget the argument of the differences between online and live players. its a pussy argument on the online side because all i see is the online world "talking" and not backing it up enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the online guys don't want to play 1 guy, that makes them overall worse than the live set? I don't really follow your logic.

[/ QUOTE ]

who says anything about logic leatherass? the whole argument is stupid anyway. its like southside mexicans at war with northside yet they are all mexicans. for some reason two different territories all of a sudden makes a difference.

i dont even know if i'm making a point. how can i to a stupid argument. but i'll tell you guys what. patrik is sitting all the time. he is a "live" player. he is in your home court. GO AFTER HIM and teach him a lesson about how good online players are........if they are that goddamn good.

Lets ask mike matusow his opinion.

I mean he's lost a lot of money on Full Tilt so obviously he has to respect the skill of the online players, right?
Old 11-24-2007, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

who says anything about logic leatherass? the whole argument is stupid anyway. its like southside mexicans at war with northside yet they are all mexicans. for some reason two different territories all of a sudden makes a difference.

i dont even know if i'm making a point. how can i to a stupid argument. but i'll tell you guys what. patrik is sitting all the time. he is a "live" player. he is in your home court. GO AFTER HIM and teach him a lesson about how good online players are........if they are that goddamn good.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol...
Old 11-24-2007, 03:08 AM

Sklanskys not saying tran is saying the best players in the world play live.

He's saying that in the biggest live 10 handed cash games, the people who play the best in this game are players who primarly play live.
Big difference.

Here are MULITPLE reasons why this doesnt mean that live > internet.

1) The best live players are likely to have more experience with the weaker live players at the table (because they grind live), so have more information to base their play on.. Maximally exploiting their opposition. They can focus their attention to the internet players, while the internt players are forced to study every player at the table.

2) access to the high stakes live games, and thus more experience. See schneids' post.

3) Deep stacked 10 handed cash games with very very skilled tricky players are a rarity online. Live , not so much. Again.. experience.

So live players should have much more experience playing their type of game than online players, which should lead to better play (assuming the same innate skill sets)... The only way internet players would be considered EQUALS was if the online players were dramatically superior "poker thinkers" and able to adapt incredibly as to beat the live players in their own element.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:10 AM

sklansky, the troll?