Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2007, 07:44 PM

Default Re: a crash course in prenups

Court room scenario:

Guids: "Your honor, I've worked hard these last x years...7 days a week, 15 hours a day. I bought the house, the cars, fed and clothed the kids, paid for the vactions and coached little league, I can do my own laundry and cook for myself, I should keep what I worked for"

Mrs Guids: "Your honor, I gave up working to raise Guids kids, I have not worked in x years"

Judge: Mrs Guids gets the house, a car, 50% of all cash assets, 50% of any and all retirement accounts. 50% of the equity in any other real estate owned. Guids gets to pay alimony, continue paying the mortgage on the house, make the car payments (including insurance), pay for health insurance and pay child support. This shall continue until the kids reach legal age.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Court room scenario:

Guids: "Your honor, I've worked hard these last x years...7 days a week, 15 hours a day. I bought the house, the cars, fed and clothed the kids, paid for the vactions and coached little league, I can do my own laundry and cook for myself, I should keep what I worked for"

Mrs Guids: "Your honor, I gave up working to raise Guids kids, I have not worked in x years"

Judge: Mrs Guids gets the house, a car, 50% of all cash assets, 50% of any and all retirement accounts. 50% of the equity in any other real estate owned. Guids gets to pay alimony, continue paying the mortgage on the house, make the car payments (including insurance), pay for health insurance and pay child support. This shall continue until the kids reach legal age.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this scenario is distasteful to anybody, then they shouldn't get married without a pre-nup.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:52 PM

What about the case where the husband wants his wife to work because she gets paid a good bit more than the baby sitter/laundry lady would earn.

Shouldn't she have to pay him in the event of a divorce, since he allowed her to be with the kids instead of working?
Old 08-23-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Court room scenario:

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks, you said it better than I could have.

the thing is, maybe most of the guys that are so vehmently disagreeing with me plan on treating their women like slaves and might feel the need to compensate out of guilt after the fact. I dont. I plan on helping with chores, cooking, etc., no matter what the situation or however many hours I work, I dont think that any woman should have to do 100% of teh "household chores".
Old 08-23-2007, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the thing is, maybe most of the guys that are so vehmently disagreeing with me plan on treating their women like slaves and might feel the need to compensate out of guilt after the fact. I dont. I plan on helping with chores, cooking, etc., no matter what the situation or however many hours I work, I dont think that any woman should have to do 100% of teh "household chores".

[/ QUOTE ]

I call hogwash. The behavior you are describing of "I plan on helping with chores..." is the precise opposite of "what's mine is MINE and keep your cotton-picking hands off of it and cmere so I can dole out your grocery budget for a week". That will spill over into other parts of your marriage as well.

"Well the house is YOUR department. I earned the g.d. money to pay for your fancy house and your fancy car with the fancy antilock brakes so your kids would be safe. BTW, I noticed you put 10 extra miles on the car I bought you this week. Where did you go? Oh, you bought new soccer cleats? I told you I'D buy the new soccer cleats. Where is the receipt for that? That's coming out of your household allowance since you up and bought them without checking with me first. Also, you exceeded your minutes on the phone I bought you. Did you REALLY need to call the nail salon this week? How much of my money did you spend there this month?"

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

<font color="white">No, of course you wouldn't behave that way, but it's the attitude you're taking in the thread. Put down the spreadsheet.</font>
Old 08-23-2007, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I call hogwash. The behavior you are describing of "I plan on helping with chores..." is the precise opposite of "what's mine is MINE and keep your cotton-picking hands off of it and cmere so I can dole out your grocery budget for a week". That will spill over into other parts of your marriage as well.

"Well the house is YOUR department. I earned the g.d. money to pay for your fancy house and your fancy car with the fancy antilock brakes so your kids would be safe. BTW, I noticed you put 10 extra miles on the car I bought you this week. Where did you go? Oh, you bought new soccer cleats? I told you I'D buy the new soccer cleats. Where is the receipt for that? That's coming out of your household allowance since you up and bought them without checking with me first. Also, you exceeded your minutes on the phone I bought you. Did you REALLY need to call the nail salon this week? How much of my money did you spend there this month?"

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

<font color="white">No, of course you wouldn't behave that way, but it's the attitude you're taking in the thread. Put down the spreadsheet.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

call BS all you want, but this is how I was raised. whats mine is not mine I NEVER SAID THIS. Whats mine is ours...WHILE WE ARE MARRIED. she can do whatever she wants w/ it imo, I plan on having more than enough so she can. If I cant provide happiness for her, and we cant work it out, than I wont have a twinge of guilt for not supporting her after the fact, because I plan on doing everything I possibly can during the marriage to make her as happy as possible.

you people seem to have it stuck in your heads that Im bitter about having to pony up the money. IM NOT! I cant wait to find the girl that I can do all this for, IM PLANNING 10 YEARS IN ADVANCE FOR IT. But I dont want to be taken advantage of if she isnt in it for love.