Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are you willing to defend the girl, with force, if necessary?
Yes 79 84.95%
No 14 15.05%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-25-2007, 09:02 PM

Default (NC) post on tone

back in the good old days when the 2p2 community was small, people didnt have 10 accounts 9 gimmick accounts, people who signed up didnt sign up to just post in BBV and B4L, we suddenly had a huge influx of people sign up due to the huge poker craze.

SSNL ranged from 2NL to 200NL. with all the new players coming in SSNL was the most trafficked site on 2p2. all of the sudden it got out of hand. everyone was so quick to jump down someones throat about hands and the tone of tons of peoples post were very crass and unhelpful to the community as a whole. we then had the split between uNL and SSNL and mods made it an effort to make sure everyone was respectful and brought meaning to their posts in the strat forums instead of just flaming someone for not being as intellectually brilliant as them when it comes to poker.

Ive noticed that this tone is coming back in so many different threads and it seems like a lot of these threads are filled with useless posts that serve no function other then raising someones post count.

here is a link incase you havent seen it or read it

posting guidelines

and incase youre too lazy to read it ill cut and paste a few blurbs out of it for you.

--flaming. Not allowed. Good natured ribbing amongst known posters is, of course, OK.

TIPS FOR RESPONDING IN HAND THREADS

--Be kind.
--Include the reasoning of your analysis, even if it's brief.

Bad: Raise more pf.
Good: Your hand plays best heads-up, but your preflop raise was too small to get the job done. Try raising to $6 instead of $3.

Bad: Push river.
Good: Pooosh. Villian likes his hand. You have the second nuts. If he's got quads, oh well.

Bad: You're too stupid to play SSNL. Try checkers instead.
Good: Bad on every street. 1/4-pot flop bet was purposeless, turn call was horrible given your odds, then you suckout on the river and get no value.

Bad: You can't call this turn.
Good: You can't call this turn because your opponent is WAY to passive to start betting here without the flush, and you don't have the odds to chase anymore.

Bad: Raise the flop.
Good: Raise the flop to $18 to protect your hand.

also so many posts are just hands, no read, no rhyme or reason to why you played a hand or why you made an odd play with a hand. include this to make it easier for everyone when you post.

but in general the attitude and tone of many responses in this forum are becoming ridiculous. i hope the mods start enforcing there rules because this is a place of learning. dont just tell a person hes a moron, explain to him why he is a moron.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:04 PM

Default Re: (NC) post on tone

eh, i have to abide by more of these rules, nice PSA.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:06 PM

Maybe having a one street chat thread wouldn't be a bad idea to reduce the number of "do I call this river" or "give me a good amount to bet" threads.

Dunno if it would work, but the interesting hands are far between w/ the traffic SSNL gets.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:07 PM

I have him on ignore- can someone summarize this post?
Old 11-25-2007, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
back in the good old days when the 2p2 community was small, people didnt have 10 accounts 9 gimmick accounts, people who signed up didnt sign up to just post in BBV and B4L, we suddenly had a huge influx of people sign up due to the huge poker craze.

SSNL ranged from 2NL to 200NL. with all the new players coming in SSNL was the most trafficked site on 2p2. all of the sudden it got out of hand. everyone was so quick to jump down someones throat about hands and the tone of tons of peoples post were very crass and unhelpful to the community as a whole. we then had the split between uNL and SSNL and mods made it an effort to make sure everyone was respectful and brought meaning to their posts in the strat forums instead of just flaming someone for not being as intellectually brilliant as them when it comes to poker.

Ive noticed that this tone is coming back in so many different threads and it seems like a lot of these threads are filled with useless posts that serve no function other then raising someones post count.

here is a link incase you havent seen it or read it

posting guidelines

and incase youre too lazy to read it ill cut and paste a few blurbs out of it for you.

--flaming. Not allowed. Good natured ribbing amongst known posters is, of course, OK.

TIPS FOR RESPONDING IN HAND THREADS

--Be kind.
--Include the reasoning of your analysis, even if it's brief.

Good: Your hand plays best heads-up, but your preflop raise was too small to get the job done. Try raising to $6 instead of $3.

Bad: Push river.
Good: Pooosh. Villian likes his hand. You have the second nuts. If he's got quads, oh well.

Bad: You're too stupid to play SSNL. Try checkers instead.
Good: Bad on every street. 1/4-pot flop bet was purposeless, turn call was horrible given your odds, then you suckout on the river and get no value.

Bad: You can't call this turn.
Good: You can't call this turn because your opponent is WAY to passive to start betting here without the flush, and you don't have the odds to chase anymore.

Bad: Raise the flop.
Good: Raise the flop to $18 to protect your hand.

also so many posts are just hands, no read, no rhyme or reason to why you played a hand or why you made an odd play with a hand. include this to make it easier for everyone when you post.

but in general the attitude and tone of many responses in this forum are becoming ridiculous. i hope the mods start enforcing there rules because this is a place of learning. dont just tell a person hes a moron, explain to him why he is a moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to add some content to this post besides just quoting so manupod can read it:

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...=0#Post13113706

That's the kind of threads that could be avoided. Not ripping the OP, but that threads not gonna generate any interesting responses at all.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe having a one street chat thread wouldn't be a bad idea to reduce the number of "do I call this river" or "give me a good amount to bet" threads.

Dunno if it would work, but the interesting hands are far between w/ the traffic SSNL gets.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but those are ok. poster has a question about how much to bet and people say bet this much and why.

whats getting out of hand is

worst fold ever
ZOMG easiest all in ever
you suck and will never move up

and other non useful posts in this tone. it helps no one, save that [censored] and [x]'s for BBV
Old 11-25-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but those are ok. poster has a question about how much to bet and people say bet this much and why.

whats getting out of hand is

worst fold ever
ZOMG easiest all in ever
you suck and will never move up

and other non useful posts in this tone. it helps no one, save that [censored] and [x]'s for BBV

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, I'm not disagreeing with you in case that was unclear.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I won't post in SSNL if I have to make posts like this where people need spoon feeding really obvious points.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:16 PM

yeah i know your not disagreeing with me

also it might not generate great discussion for us but every post cant be to create the best discussion ever. this is a place to learn and someone has a question about a hand he should be shown the optimal line in a friendly clear manner. just because we understand what to do and why to do it, others may not. there are plenty of mid/high NL players who post here in responses to threads as well, and most of the things they point out are the easiest concepts ever to them, but to others they are not.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I won't post in SSNL if I have to make posts like this where people need spoon feeding really obvious points.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats the problem jay, its not obvious to everyone. either dont post or post something insightful. so i think thats a good thing if you decide not to post on something you think is obvious rather then make a bad post.

aside from those types of posts, ie raise, fold, bet more, i was addressing more on peoples tone lately. its like everyone is on their period around here