Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > High Stakes MTT
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 04:26 AM

Default Should I be raising this? $540 Venetian

Level 1, 25/50 and 10k starting chips. Table is filled with older people except me and 2 other young guys, I'm in seat 2, young internet pro in seat 1, and other dude in seat 9.

Folds to seat 1 in CO who makes it 200. I call with 22, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop comes T42. CO bets 500. I call BB folds.

Turn blank. CO bets 1200 I call.

River blank CO bets 2500 I call.

I didn’t raise because no hands in his range that I’m beating are going to call - the board is 10 high, so the only thing he could even conceivably call with is an over-pair, but the way I played the hand I really didn't think he ever would, and I was going to get busted by an over-set.

I knew since he was young pro he’s capable of 3 barrelling and I had perfect position to play it that passive. As I saw it, the only benefit to raising river is so that I didn't have to show the hand, but at the same time it can also play to my benefit by showing.

Was my play standard? Bad/awful? I really have very little experience playing this deep, FWIW, and table reads were pretty non-existent at this point.

There's something to be said for raising on earlier streets maybe, but I just don't see the point of raising the river - guy in Seat 1 after I showed him my hand said something about wtf why weren't you raising? Well.... obviously because I thought I could get a lot more by calling him down, but I didn't tell him that of course.

I mean... I guess if I'm raising earlier streets it's possible I might've been able to get more from an over-pair, but at the same time is he really going to stack off 200BB deep with an overpair on this board? Highly unlikely...
Old 06-02-2007, 05:44 AM

Default Re: Should I be raising this? $540 Venetian

lead that turn he raises it a lot then flat call and lead river line is strong but gets lots of calls.
Old 06-02-2007, 05:51 AM

you need to raise

yes people can get it in with less than bottom set here

no your play was not standard to cold call three streets with bottom set on a dry board
Old 06-02-2007, 09:14 AM

I don't know if flat calling the flop and turn are bad, but you got to raise the river. Of course he will call with less than a set. In fact, he is kind of pot committed to call a push.

I hope you made him show first.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:01 AM

Of course I made him show first, and I don't think he's pot committed at all to call a push.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course I made him show first, and I don't think he's pot committed at all to call a push.

[/ QUOTE ]
There is 10K in the pot with 5400 left. He is getting pretty good odds to call a push or a smaller bet. I don't know what all those bricks were, so I don't know how likely a straight is, but it seems like there is more chance he calls a push with less than a set than he calls with a set or straight.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
There is 10K in the pot with 5400 left. He is getting pretty good odds to call a push or a smaller bet. I don't know what all those bricks were, so I don't know how likely a straight is, but it seems like there is more chance he calls a push with less than a set than he calls with a set or straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betgo, you have AA flop T42r you bet, turn 5 you bet, river J you bet, Villain shoves if it's a 10K pot and 5K for you to call you make the call with AA?
Old 06-02-2007, 11:06 AM

You have to at least raise the river.
Old 06-02-2007, 11:15 AM

foucault's right. If the guy knows what he's doing raising the river is bad. Doesn't mean we shouldn't have tried to get more money in elsewhere. I kind of like gobbo's line a lot
Old 06-02-2007, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Betgo, you have AA flop T42r you bet, turn 5 you bet, river J you bet, Villain shoves if it's a 10K pot and 5K for you to call you make the call with AA?

[/ QUOTE ]

I might think my AA was good 1/4 of the time. I don't know if a random player in a $540 folds an overpair here.