Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 09:55 PM

Default Re: Ask Sadat X About Burning Man

[ QUOTE ]
LOL at yuppies going to the desert to get in touch with their pre-bourgeois roots. $400/person entry fee, right?

Is Burning Man like outpatient re-hab for capitalists?

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

Great observation. Yeah, there are a lot of ex-hippie types out there - the crowd is older than most people expect.

Tickets this year ranged from $195 to $280. I read somewhere that the event costs about $220-something per person to put on. I have to think some of the art and maybe even some of the bigger events are officially sponsored...
Old 08-29-2007, 12:21 AM

Burning Man torched early
SAN FRANCISCO - Burning Man became Burnt Man four days early on Tuesday, and a San Francisco performance artist was arrested on suspicion of igniting the signature figure of the counterculture festival in the remote Nevada desert.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:24 AM

I've lived in Reno for 9 years now and have never been to BRC. Many many of my friends go every year. Most of them encourage me to go, but I'm just not into it. The thing is, I think I can understand the whole "vibe, energy, communitas, cosmic wonderland of peace and art and all that" pretty well. I saw 77 dead shows over 11 years.

So I tell my burner friends that I don't have to go there to understand what its about and every single one of them has given me crap and told me that I can't understand it until I experience it and blah blah blah... except one. I met a reiki master and two time burner who can understand my understanding.

It was such a refreshing conversation.

chillin' by the lake
playa dust and heat not mine
tahoe pwns blackrock
Old 08-30-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do the cops just completely ignore drug use?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. If you're doing drugs in public view and they see it, they will bust you. Whatever you do in the privacy of your own tent is cool.

Cops are few and far in between though. Mostly 'Black Rock Rangers' (who are volunteers) keep the order and they'll never bust you for drug use or freaking out or anything like that. They actually have a tent with psychiatrists specifically for people having bad trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

My sister's boyfriend is a Black Rock Ranger. He told me that a lot of the time he has to deal with people on bad trips...not my cup of tea, but he seems to enjoy it enough.