Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation

Old 11-29-2007, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Party Poker is up to Something

You all are wasting a lot of time speculating about why Mitch Garber may be selling or buying options or not, and the legal nuances of same. He is just another mediocre executive who is paid too much and definitely isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. So regardless of why he thinks he's doing something, there's a good chance it's wrong.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:02 AM

Default Re: Party Poker is up to Something

[ QUOTE ]
Yea, I read that. But what exactly does that mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

He is manipulating the stock by making it look like he thinks its going up, and then when others buy he is going to sell the [censored] out of it and laugh like Dikshit did when he cashed out before the legislation passed the first time.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:07 AM

Default Re: Party Poker is up to Something ... which D$D has inside scoop on

[ QUOTE ]
Well, there was a wisp of a rumor that Party was going to be re entering the US market soon (N 82, in one of the AP threads dropped this little bomb shell with an "I'm not going to say anything else so don't even ask" note on the end). No idea what info he was basing that on, but this little tidbit raises my hope slightly (though it is still pretty low).

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to me PP has only 2 options; sell their customer lists as their value as an on-going concern is decreasing daily, or hope to salvage some market share if there is movement soon.

IMO the people that think PP might be what it once was are delusional. First of all both the poker community and the poker economy has changed quite a bit. To think that all the "fish" that used to populate PP have simply hibernated and are eagerly awaiting PP to line up to be cleaned after fattening up is a crack pipe dream.

There are things coming in the near future to the on-line world that IMO will change on-line poker again. Eventual US "legal" on-line poker will not turn the clock back to 2005. Yes perhaps your $10 a week recreational players will return but even they have improved their games in bar leagues and home games.

This IMO is why PP is facing such a delima. If they open up like Doyle's Room without a US processor they are no different from anyone else are not "fish friendly." If they wait until '09 or later for clean legislation, they "re-enter" with quite a few new competitors. So now IMO they are just trying to maximize their value to a buyer.

D$D
Old 11-30-2007, 09:23 AM

To paraphrase an old saying, there's a fish born every minute. If PP does come back, some of the players will no longer be fish, some of the fish won't come back, but there will be new fish to take their place if the site is a nice one.

But we need PP to come back if only to hear that crazy jingle.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, there was a wisp of a rumor that Party was going to be re entering the US market soon (N 82, in one of the AP threads dropped this little bomb shell with an "I'm not going to say anything else so don't even ask" note on the end). No idea what info he was basing that on, but this little tidbit raises my hope slightly (though it is still pretty low).

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems to me PP has only 2 options; sell their customer lists as their value as an on-going concern is decreasing daily, or hope to salvage some market share if there is movement soon.

IMO the people that think PP might be what it once was are delusional. First of all both the poker community and the poker economy has changed quite a bit. To think that all the "fish" that used to populate PP have simply hibernated and are eagerly awaiting PP to line up to be cleaned after fattening up is a crack pipe dream.

There are things coming in the near future to the on-line world that IMO will change on-line poker again. Eventual US "legal" on-line poker will not turn the clock back to 2005. Yes perhaps your $10 a week recreational players will return but even they have improved their games in bar leagues and home games.

This IMO is why PP is facing such a delima. If they open up like Doyle's Room without a US processor they are no different from anyone else are not "fish friendly." If they wait until '09 or later for clean legislation, they "re-enter" with quite a few new competitors. So now IMO they are just trying to maximize their value to a buyer.

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

When PP puts $100 in their accounts and emails/calls them they will come back. If they have easy deposit options they will deposit. Party worked for the average person somehow someway. You can't just dismiss their branding success. Stars would be #2 again in 2 weeks.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:14 PM

Party has an aging customer list as noted above, and it's only aging faster. And party's success in reaching the #1 spot was a result of one thing: advertising. Without that advertising, they can't be #1 again unless they offer something stars doesn't like especially good games.

But in absence of massive television advertising, there's no reason to believe party would be any more successful in today's situation than stars is. If the TV networks would show some backbone and fight legal actions and intimidation against .net sites that would be different, but apparently they won't.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:51 PM

Here are the numbers on Party: http://www.partygaming.com/investor/...l_summary.html
http://www.partygaming.com/images/do..._2007-2008.pdf

In my opinion, they have been successful in scaling down their costs to their reduced business. They are still growing. They can scale back up quickly. I think that they are also large enough to set up their own deposit services, which would bypass the UIGEA.

The easiest path for them is to sell out to a US company so that they can get back into the US. They can make money outside of the US. They are not going away.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:51 PM

Personally, I think they could benefit sharing legal/transaction costs with bwin,888, crypto, and B2b. Don't merge the networks, but work together on a payment processor they would all float public when its feasible. And get in court in the US somehow someway.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

D$D

[/ QUOTE ]

When PP puts $100 in their accounts and emails/calls them they will come back. If they have easy deposit options they will deposit. Party worked for the average person somehow someway. You can't just dismiss their branding success. Stars would be #2 again in 2 weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. This is the main problem I have with Party detractors saying how Party Poker would not regain share if it came back, ... the people forget the great bonus program Party had. This attracted all kinds of casual players and fish. Party made it simple to deposit $100 or $200 every month and receive 100%, or %50 bonuses on these deposits for playing very little. No other site does this now days. If Party comes back and re-institutes this, or a similar, bonus policy combined with an easy deposit and withdraw option, the fish and casual players will return, and Party could easily be #1 again.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:38 PM

The bonus program might bother some players now that its ubergay. Points are too confusing for joe schmoe lose 100 when im drunk. Party wasnt tied to just advertizing. They got internet poker consumerism somehow. People preferred them, and people came back to play again that other sites would have lost.