Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 07:26 AM

Default How to deal w/ extended downswings?

Let me start out by saying that I'm not talking about # of hands. I'm a part-time player w/ a full time life, so I play when I can. The below graphs cover since October 1. I realize that some of you guys put that many hands in, in a week.

For me, this is DS is approaching 5 weeks. I feel like I'm playing well, but obviously, not impervious to some bad plays etc.

I have poker pro friends that have longer DS's (# hands) and longer breakeven stretches, but since they put in so many more hands, it's obviously over much sooner, time-wise.

But this is really starting to wear me down. I wake up each day, ready to put in a session that night, ready to play well and let the results fall where they may. But at this point, going on for this long, it's starting to make me really question what/if I'm doing something wrong.

So basically, I need to know if this DS is just extended due to the amount of hands I play or ??? and how do you guys deal with stretches like this (time wise, not # hands, wise). Because, let's face it, almost 40 straight days where a $50 win is a big win.

It's almost to the point where I feel like I'm not allowing myself to win?!?

Help?

Old 11-08-2007, 07:47 AM

Default Re: How to deal w/ extended downswings?

Quitting is probably the best advice I can give. Most players are donators, and you're probably one of them. Other than that, fold more pre-flop maybe.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quitting is probably the best advice I can give. Most players are donators, and you're probably one of them. Other than that, fold more pre-flop maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is awful advice. If you're not good at something make no means to change yourself or improve for the better! Just give up!

To OP, PokerEV is pretty irrelevant. Let's see some PT stats, yeah?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:55 AM

Take a break - don't force yourself to play if you don't want to (if you log on expecting to lose, you really don't want to play).

When you start thinking about wanting to play again and looking forward to it, then do so.

I'd also agree with the above - spend time with your pokertracker database. Identify patterns in your losses (they are there) - and then adjust your play to reflect whatever changes the numbers come up with.

If you are playing a ton of tables at a time, cutting back there is also an option - spend the mental energy focusing on the games and your decision making by making fewer decisions better.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:54 PM

you look like a break even player at best. sorry dude
Old 11-08-2007, 10:07 PM

Thanks, SellingtheDrama. The funny thing is, I was 6 tabling but have since dropped to 3-4. Also, I'm not forcing it. In fact, I'm usually pretty itching to play, but it seems that the beats affect me quicker than they used to due to this streak.

ceire...care to explain how/where you get that from? I'm up over $10k the couple of months leading up to this playing 50NL & 100NL, so I think you may be off here, but nonetheless, I'm curious where you derive that from?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:48 AM

34,000 hands isn't that much. But playing tighter and less tables will help.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:24 AM

I think you guys are missing the main question I have in my post.

I'm not asking for critques on my play...I showed those graphs to stress that I'm running like [censored] right now. Not for any other reason.

I simply am asking how do you deal w/ a prolonged (time-wise) downswing, mentally.

TIA.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:05 AM

Amor Fati?

Or you can just whine, scream and cut yourself. Doesn't make much difference really.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I simply am asking how do you deal w/ a prolonged (time-wise) downswing, mentally.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well thats the trick.. We all have em. When I'm in the middle of a huge downswing, I take a break, read some poker literature, review hand histories, watch a few cardrunners videos, just try to put poker away for awhile and learn some new stuff, relax a little. The other thing is to have a nice bankroll for whatever limits you're playing. Personally I like 50 buyins for NL and at least 300 big bets for limit... helps keep the stress of losing from affecting you as much.

After you have a few nasty downswings, and then eventually recover, it makes it easier the next time. Good luck..

BB