Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP

View Poll Results: Running Backs (Pick 3)
Larry Johnson 18 33.33%
Willis McGahee 16 29.63%
Clinton Portis 1 1.85%
Thomas Jones 10 18.52%
Frank Gore 9 16.67%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2007, 01:39 PM

Default Re: PPA should disassociate itself from scandal ridden CEO Poker tour

[ QUOTE ]
No, although I am totally on your side I have to make a correction here. CEO Tours infer this type of relationship by the partnership language, (I do not believe the word sponsor is ever used), but if you read the press release you see that what is described is merely the inclusion of materials for the PPA in CEO Tour Gift Bags, and a banner at events. I will allow you that these were some of the benefits of sponorships of various levels being pitched by the company, which lead to the possibility of a misinterpretation of a paid relationship. It was clear to me that the release was written to overstate what was actually ocurring in every possible way to gain credibility for the CEO Tour by associating with the PPA. This is a pattern used over and over by Maria and William.

I would guess that the President of the PPA made the mistake of, at best, approving only his quote and not approving the entire document, let alone allowing a true public relations professional, (or whatever passes for one on the PPA staff), vet the document. While this once again shows a disappointing but expected lact of competence on the PPA's part, I do not think anyone can say they played in a CEO Tour event because of the association with the PPA. I would hope the PPA is much more careful about vetting even simple associations in the future, and are certain that no relationship the PPA has with any company can be construed as an endorsement.

Frankly, while reseaching the CEO Tour issues, I was much more concerned to read that they stated their contributions were not tax-deductible because of the great amount of lobbying the organization did. Lobbying is the primary organizational function for a 401(c)(4), the reason they cannot qualify for tax deductibility for donors is that the PPA is neither a volunteer fire department, nor a veteran's organization consisting of ninety percenty veterans. However, I would urge Greg and the PPA to consider what is standard operating in DC, which is to sandwich a 401(c)(3), charitible organization, that also mainly focuses on lobbying but gains tax deductibility for donors, and a 527 group for political organization, which will allow the PPA to organize to effect elections, on top of the existing 401(c)(4). It requires more filings, and the accounting for the fundraising becomes more complex, but it is entirely legal. They should also note that although PPA donations are not deductible for individuals, they may be deductible as business expenses.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean 501(c)(3)?
Old 07-26-2007, 08:41 PM

PokeReader,

Yeah, I am confused as to why dj would advocate a downgrade from partner/ship in his first post in this thread to a sponsorship in his last post herein.

It was apparent to me that CEO wanted free gifts from sponsors to include in a gift bag when I saw the last-posted press release while surfing the web. Maybe I was wrong but I thought Maria just wanted to maximize profits by gittin' free stuff from which she could benefit.

Maybe dj should not randomly post everything that he finds that has CEO's name on it. What was the purpose of post dj?
Old 07-27-2007, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PokeReader,

Yeah, I am confused as to why dj would advocate a downgrade from partner/ship in his first post in this thread to a sponsorship in his last post herein.

It was apparent to me that CEO wanted free gifts from sponsors to include in a gift bag when I saw the last-posted press release while surfing the web. Maybe I was wrong but I thought Maria just wanted to maximize profits by gittin' free stuff from which she could benefit.

Maybe dj should not randomly post everything that he finds that has CEO's name on it. What was the purpose of post dj?

[/ QUOTE ]

The original press release infers that the PPA and CEO Poker Tour are partners; which I'm sure the PPA never agreed to....

(PRWEB) April 25, 2007 -- The CEO Poker Tour (www.ceopokertour.com), where executives battle for the title of Chairman of Poker, is partnering with the Poker Players Alliance (PPA) (www.pokerplayersalliance.org), which supports poker player rights, by strategically including PPA in the year long poker tour.

The partnership will include a strong presence at every tournament location to include: placement of PPA items and information in CEO Poker gift bags, poker room banner, CEO Poker website insertion with link to PPA website, logo on direct mail pieces, and more.

"We are excited at the possibility of reaching more potential members through our inclusion in the national CEO Poker Tour," says Michael Bolcerek, President of the Poker Players Alliance. "The Poker Players Alliance is committed to defending the rights of poker players, and we search for opportunities, at strategic poker events through out the country, to further our message of protection of the poker game in the US and globally."
Old 07-28-2007, 04:05 AM

Who do people have so much trouble using the word "infer" correctly? That's three times in the last few posts, twice by PokeReader, and now he's got you doing it too - I don't know why, but this one always drives me crazy!
Old 07-30-2007, 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Who do people have so much trouble using the word "infer" correctly? That's three times in the last few posts, twice by PokeReader, and now he's got you doing it too - I don't know why, but this one always drives me crazy!

[/ QUOTE ]

I should have used "implies". But this quote sure puts the CEO Poker Tour and PPA in the same bed......

The original press release infers that the PPA and CEO Poker Tour are partners; which I'm sure the PPA never agreed to....

(PRWEB) April 25, 2007 -- The CEO Poker Tour (www.ceopokertour.com), where executives battle for the title of Chairman of Poker, is partnering with the Poker Players Alliance (PPA) (www.pokerplayersalliance.org), which supports poker player rights, by strategically including PPA in the year long poker tour.

The partnership will include a strong presence at every tournament location to include: placement of PPA items and information in CEO Poker gift bags, poker room banner, CEO Poker website insertion with link to PPA website, logo on direct mail pieces, and more.

"We are excited at the possibility of reaching more potential members through our inclusion in the national CEO Poker Tour," says Michael Bolcerek, President of the Poker Players Alliance. "The Poker Players Alliance is committed to defending the rights of poker players, and we search for opportunities, at strategic poker events through out the country, to further our message of protection of the poker game in the US and globally."
Old 07-31-2007, 09:08 PM

Wow, this thread really went south. I guess Maria won't be back to clear the air.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, this thread really went south. I guess Maria won't be back to clear the air.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess not. Looks like she went south too.

gg
Old 08-01-2007, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gg

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say so - try to hit their website.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gg

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

www.ceopokertour.com promotes a second Venetian CEO Poker tour in late August; when you click on that for more information it has been removed from the website.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:31 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

gg

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

www.ceopokertour.com promotes a second Venetian CEO Poker tour in late August; when you click on that for more information it has been removed from the website.

[/ QUOTE ]

So...yay? A minor victory?