Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 12:44 PM

Default $6 NLTRN: Q6s calls down

This hand was from one of the most frustrating matches I've played. I was almost completely card dead, and my opponent was very aggressive/fishy. If he called my PFR, he would donk the flop 100% (usually for about 2/3 pot). Also, he would keep betting on the turn and river. I tried calling the flops with overcards and floating some, but usually I wouldn't hit anything on the turn and would end up folding to his inevitable turn bet. I raised once on the flop, to try to see if by raising I could get him to slow down (I had second pair weak kicker, the best hand I'd had postflop until that point), and he called. He then called my turn bet and when I checked behind on the river, he took it down with top pair.

Also, if he didn't call PF, he would almost always 3-bet, and I almost always had something like K6s or Q9o. At this point he had only folded twice PF (both times when I raised w/ AA). When in position, he raised almost every hand to 3 BB.

So I decided that I needed to take a stand at some point. Was this okay, or should I have raised earlier or folded the river?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (2 handed)

Hero (t1060)
BB (t1940)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t75</font>, BB calls t45.

Flop: (t150) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t90</font>, Hero calls t90.

Turn: (t330) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t120</font>, Hero calls t120.

River: (t570) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t120</font>, Hero calls t120.

Final Pot: t810
Old 11-08-2007, 01:09 PM

Default Re: $6 NLTRN: Q6s calls down

This is perfectly fine. I don't like raising at any point postflop....if he has a hand and pushes we are put in a very difficult spot, and if he doesn't have a hand we might push him out by raising. Just call down and take advantage of his over-aggressive tendencies.
Old 11-08-2007, 01:39 PM

If playing against a maniac, the adjustment is to tighten up and become passive letting him bet your strong hands for you.
Also you should have tried seeing if he would fold to raise when you had air if he called just shut down and wait, not much else to do.
I think your play is fine but I would have raised, It really was just a coincidence that when you raised him he had top pair most of the time he had nothing.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:50 PM

These guys are very aggravating to play but you should really just open up your calldown range. I also know what you mean about guys that seem to be super aggressive except when you have a hand, they just check/fold. Raising is pointless in this hand (postflop I mean). I prolly would have played it the same.