Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Re: This can be my delayed Pooh-Bah post - \"The Well\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess this kind of a noob question but im curious.

1.What kind of software do you use for HU sit n gos (if any)?

2.What do you use to track your win rates?

3.Do you think one could play for a living, Only playing HU sit n gos.

4.At level do you think playing for a living is feasible?

5.Do you use rakeback and does it affect your winnings by a good amount?

thank you for answering my questions if you choose to do so. Sorry if they are noobish.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Pokertracker but pretty rarely.

2. Sharkscope.

3. Yep.

4. This depends on how many tables you are playing, how many hours per day, and how expensive your standard of living is. With multitabling I figure it is possible at the $20 range assuming you put in a legitimate amount of hours. Single tabling probably the 33s or 55s.

5. No, I made my account before I knew about rakeback. I'd probably make like 8-10% more if I had it.

Edit: Missed a comma.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for answering my extra noobish questions [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img].
I have a few more if you dont mind

1. How many HU sit n gos on avg do you play per week? Month?

2. Do you mostly 1 table or Multi? If you multi how many do you play?

3. Do you find multi tabling relativity easy? If so how did you learn to focus on multiable tables?

4. How much is your coaching? And at levels do you recommend someone starts paying for coaching?

5.How much wood could a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck would?

thank you in advance [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2007, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Probably the biggest adjustments I had to make were in adapting to the players across the spectrum from tight/passive to loose/aggressive.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was really hoping to see a Pooh-Bah post on *this* topic.

After a disgusting number of games, I'm still not convinced I'm very good at recognizing player tendencies, much less exploiting them.

Everybody talks about how you have to pay attention to what your opponent is doing, and exploit their mistakes, but there just really hasn't been that much about specific mistakes, and *how* to exploit them.

There have been a few things here and there, but even a thread that was intended to be devoted completely to this very specific topic ("post common villain mistakes and how to exploit them" or something like that) was strangely devoid of real answers.

Of course, I realize the main reason for that is that it's all insanely situation-specific. It still seems like it ought to be possible to approach from a high level, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, a poo-bah like this would be amazing. You should list each type of player, describe their characteristics and common actions (i know it varies a lot), and how to exploit each type of opponent and their characteristics.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:06 PM

I think that thread went down the tubes because it would serve no purpose to us and make our opposition harder if they lurk and notice these characteristics and problems in their own game.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:16 PM

i guess i was curious if you meant to come off as that big of a dbag or if there's an inside joke i'm not keen to
Old 11-03-2007, 07:26 PM

No. That thread was making progress, then someone came in and said pretty much I just said and that was the end of it.

Just relaying information.
Old 11-03-2007, 08:18 PM

Thanks for doing this.

1) Is great hand reading just an inherent ability, or can anybody learn to do it with enough work?

2) You can only play one level of HUSNGs for the rest of your life. What is it?

3) What are your three favorite movies? Three favorite albums?

4) What's your favorite waffle topping (besides butter ldo).

Most of the good poker questions have already been asked so I had to throw in some silly ones.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
please descibe that $2k downswing in the middle of your graph. What buyin level was that at? Were you playing well the whole time? Did you change anything in your game during it?

Hopefully I can think of some better questions. My biggest problems have usually stemed from dealing with downswings so any advice in that respect is golden to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was a combination of $100s and $200s, mostly $200s. I attempted to take a shot at moving up, it went pretty bad. On that subject, I actually tried a extreme shot at an $1100 last night vs. some guy with -25% ROI, I failed. I knew prior to joining that it was a likely outcome, and that I wouldn't be rolled to chase my losses at the same stakes, so I'm not fuming or anything. I'd probably do it again if I had the chance.

This time I was a little more willing to deal with the consequences if I lost. I ran top 2 + flush draw into a lower set, missed and lost. I'm not tilted or anything but I don't think I'll look at my graph for a bit. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I think I played legitimately well during that first big downswing. I looked over my hand histories and I was at least racing in almost all of them. I'm more selective about who I play in the $200s+ so it may have something to do with adjusting to opponents that play more randomly, but aside from that I think I just hit a downswing at a bad time.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. How many HU sit n gos on avg do you play per week? Month?

[/ QUOTE ]

This varies a LOT based upon how much I am doing in school. I've played less than 20 in the past week and something like ~350 for the month. I've been doing poorly this semester so I've been focusing more on pulling up my grades than playing poker lately. If I'm just trying to grind with minimal variance I usually do 2 tables of $33's and aim for 50 a day. If I'm playing $100s+ I single table and try to avoid the regs so it depends who is playing. I usually only play like 10-20 of those a day even if I don't have any other plans. It would be more profitable for me to play more, but I don't like to risk running very poorly for the day and letting it ruin my night. Dropping a few hundreds dollars doesn't really bother me much, but running bad for $1000 can still get into my head a bit.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Do you mostly 1 table or Multi? If you multi how many do you play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried multi-tabling $100s a little bit, but my sample was too small to get any useful statistical information out of it. I tried 3-tabling $33s but I think it was starting to impact my ability to play so I dropped down to 2. I've 2-tabled the $33s for ~450 games at 13% ROI and ~$4.50 profit per game.

[ QUOTE ]
3. Do you find multi tabling relativity easy? If so how did you learn to focus on multiable tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

I find it to be pretty easy at the lower levels because playing straight forward is generally what is most effective, and I can play like a robot without needing to adapt as much to my opponents. I tried playing 3 tables but I found that I wasn't adapting to my opponents AT ALL (I was only playing my own cards and not theirs), so I dropped down to 2 tables. I don't find much difference between playing 2 tables and playing 1, but playing 3 in my experience is a world apart.

[ QUOTE ]
4. How much is your coaching? And at levels do you recommend someone starts paying for coaching?

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually negotiate with the person based upon my hourly income and how much I believe that I can improve theirs. I've had trouble coming up with a middle ground for the lower stakes because if the cost of coaching is outweighing the their profit it kind of defeats the purpose. Depending on the stakes of charged from $25-60/hr. This can be expensive for lower stakes players so I've tried to accommodate by having lessons pre-written and well organized to make the time as efficient as possible. I was a little worried while getting started that this was too expensive, but from the results I've seen I think it is reasonable. I negotiate the rates in advance and I haven't much difficulty coming up with something both parties could agree on.

As far as what levels someone should get coaching, it depends more on if the player feels he/she has hit a roadblock in their game. If someone just started and feels they are learning and adapting quickly and building a roll it may not be necessary at all. It also depends on the player's mentality of the game. I try to change the player's thought processes and habits so that they can begin to teach themselves. I had trouble adjusting from a thought process that went "I think he has it so I fold" to a mentality of "I think I'm behind 60% of the time here, but I am getting 4:1 so I call."

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

According to Wikipedia woodchucks have "short but powerful limbs and curved, thick claws." These are traits that I would consider ideal for woodchucking, so I assume that a woodchuck could chuck quite a bit of wood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog
Old 11-03-2007, 11:00 PM

Quote:

According to Wikipedia woodchucks have "short but powerful limbs and curved, thick claws." These are traits that I would consider ideal for woodchucking, so I assume that a woodchuck could chuck quite a bit of wood.

-- I am memorizing this and using it whenever someone says that if you dont mind...
Old 11-03-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How 'bout this. [censored] YOU! My question was legit 'cuz I simply didn't how the Original Post applied to HU poker. Go [censored] yourself and diagf.

Ty,

Chrismystero

PS: xSCWx, good responses thus far.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. Chill bro.
You obv dont play HU poker - cos if you did - you would tilt like crazy. haha. Sit at my table anytime champ.