Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Re: Coffee Addicts Thread

Which grinder are you using for french press...I think it's normal to have a little bit of "silt" at the bottom of the cup for french press, I don't use french press a lot but it's nice when I do...
Old 02-14-2007, 01:30 PM

I love the cold-brewed coffee the Toddy makes and Boca Java makes some awesome coffees.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, just use them quickly, I don't recommend storing them at all (I never do). If you don't use them fast enough, buy less.

[/ QUOTE ]

Compeltely agree. I didn't mean storage in the long term sense...I meant storage for the week or two you will have the beans.

As for your french press problem, I use my french press a lot. Like someone else asked, what kind of grinder do you use? You have to get a burr grinder if you want to use a press. The beans have to be ground as coarse as possible- otherwise they go through the screen. Are you having a problem with proportions of water/grounds? You also shoudn't use boiling water- it should be hot, not boiling.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:04 PM

I have drank a lot of coffee on a daily basis since middle school. I am wondering if I have an unrefined taste in coffee, because I like very dark, very bitter, straight black coffee. examples of brands of coffee I like are cafe bustelo, cafe dumond, and modelo. I rarely go to starbucks but like their black coffee just fine.

most coffee I have had in diners, delis and dunkin donuts tastes like water to me, and I don't like it at all.

I make espresso a lot also and use cafe bustelo, for some reason the illy espresso pods taste horrible to me and I would rather drink dirt. since bustelo is cheap as hell and illy seems quite fancy, it seems to me like I might just like the cheap stuff.

any coffee experts have any insight or recommendations to offer regarding my taste?

edit: note that I always use a french press when making coffee.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:36 PM

I like very dark, black straight coffee as well...but most times I don't feel that it tastes bitter, strong drip gets bitter, you like that?

The cafe dumond brand is amazing, I first had it in NO, that chicory taste is fantastic.

for whatever reason, I too think the illy espresso roast is GROSS.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

As for your french press problem, I use my french press a lot. Like someone else asked, what kind of grinder do you use? ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the cheap Starbucks branded burr grinder. Maybe it's time to upgrade; there's some crazy coffee-snob web sites that really recommend $200-500 grinders. Thanks for the tips, I'll try to go coarse & just use more grounds and do some experiments.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:36 PM

I don't really think it tastes bitter, but I have often heard starbucks coffee is bitter, that espresso roast coffees (very dark roasts) are bitter, so I always figured it must be bitter and I must like that.

glad you agree about illy, other problem is tons of restaurants use them. I love an after dinner espresso but usually ask if it's an illy pod or the real deal.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:16 PM

fwiw, my inlaws give me a case of cafe dumond every year and I use it anytime I make french press coffee. the grind is really perfect for press, imo. I've tried other kinds of chicory/coffee and been underwhelmed.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really think it tastes bitter, but I have often heard starbucks coffee is bitter, that espresso roast coffees (very dark roasts) are bitter, so I always figured it must be bitter and I must like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bitter is fine. The problem with Starbucks is that it tastes burned and doesn't really have any other flavor.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:53 PM

I don't really think it tastes burned ever. lots of roach coach/deli coffee tastes burned to me though. part of me thinking I must have weird tastes is a lot of coffee that is pretty universally hailed as good/decent (i.e. dunkin donuts) just tastes like hot water to me.