Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 11:29 PM

Default 2 questions about online poker

1. What is the best method for an American to deposit money into an online poker room?
2. Is it illegal for an American to play poker online?
Old 11-22-2007, 12:05 AM

Default Re: 2 questions about online poker

I'm from Canada but:

1. I think a lot of players are either using e-passport or Moneybookers to move money around from site to site. I personally use Moneybookers.

2. From what I understand, online poker is not illegal in the US. What was made illegal was banks dealing with online gambling sites. Some sites such as PartyPoker have decided to stop dealing with Americans because of this issue, not because poker is illegal. I think basically the movement of money has become a lot more complicated and some sites don't want to deal with it or have something happen where customers' money is tied up like the Neteller issue.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:10 AM

Default Re: 2 questions about online poker

[ QUOTE ]
I'm from Canada but:

1. I think a lot of players are either using e-passport or Moneybookers to move money around from site to site. I personally use Moneybookers.

[/ QUOTE ]

The easiest way is probably to give someone cash that already has an on-line account and have them transfer money to you. That may not be the best because you won't get deposit bonuses that way.

[ QUOTE ]
2. From what I understand, online poker is not illegal in the US. What was made illegal was banks dealing with online gambling sites. Some sites such as PartyPoker have decided to stop dealing with Americans because of this issue, not because poker is illegal. I think basically the movement of money has become a lot more complicated and some sites don't want to deal with it or have something happen where customers' money is tied up like the Neteller issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are right about this as far as federal law goes. I think there are some state laws that explicitly forbid on-line gambling.

My recommendation to the OP is that if you want legal advice, you should talk to a lawyer.

Paul