Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 11:17 AM

Default What clubs should I get.?

This a repost of mine for someone new to the game who wanted to know what to get as far as equipment when starting out. I think it represents the best advice out there and thought it would be good to repost since this forum just opened up.

Ok used to be a self professed golf club junky and a pretty solid golfer.

To start your clubs should consist of the following:

Starting out, go with used and closeout items, just don't compromise on specs for what seems like a bargain. By specs I mean shaft flex and lofts along with head design. (Don't get a set of irons that look like a set of steak knive because "they're a good deal)

1.)Oversized Driver, the bigger the better. At least 350cc+. There has been the greatest improvement in these in the past few years(although in the past 2-3 it has leveled off)
Get higher loft 11+. If you can find a club that big with a 3 wood loft (13-16*)then use that. Try to get something like a Firm shaft flex

The old conventional wisdom was a begginer should be teeing off with a lofted wood. More loft= easier to hit. Most men won't have any trouble hitting the ball far enough to be in position for an approach once they get better technique. But the forgiveness of the new drivers make up for some of this.

2.) One lofted fairway wood (5 or 7 wood, 18-22*) This will become your best friend. Get one that is a little deeper faced, it will work better from the rough(where you'll be alot) and still work off the fairway. Get a Regular shaft flex

3.) Iron set: Most sets come 3-PW. If you can find a way to not get the 3 iron and save the money, do it. Otherwise just drop it from the bag. Don't be afraid to go used with these. Iron technology has not significantly improved in the last 20 years, despite marketing claims. Just get a large cavity with some offset (how far the front of the club is back of the shaft) Regular flex shaft

4.) A sandwedge(54-56*) Your other best friend, although most of its use will not be from the sand. You'll learn to develop your shortgame with this club. This is a "feel" club. Get a basic shape. It doesn't have to be expensive, but if you were going to splurge on one item, id say this one.

5.) Putter: Another feel club, you can go almost completely on what feels good with this one.

*ALL CLUBS should have a steel shaft with the exception of the driver. The reason is that it is expenxive to make a good graphite shaft and even still it has compromises (salesman will try to steer you toward Graphite because it cost more and there are higher margins) Steel will give better control and the shaft flex you choose wont matter as much. If you are a healthy male, you should have steel, especiall on the irons.

The next clubs you will add will be a Lob Wedge (60, then as 51-53* wedge) and ONLY then bother trying to hit a 3 wood from the deck.

*Don't get caught up in all the brand hype *Titleist>Callaway>Cleveland etc. Golfing is filled with a ton of hype like this. Its only slightly more valid than "I always play 6s because they come up for me" in poker terms. Most major name brands make good clubs. While its true that they are good clubs, you could do just as well for less money. Most of these companies budgets are marketing/advertising. Look for stuff from a couple years ago, especially for everything except the driver.

Don't buy knock-offs. If it is branded as Tailor-maid, King Snake or Big Bursar, run, run away.

Its almost always cheaper to buy online.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:19 PM

Default Re: What clubs should I get.?

Good advice, I would have put at * by the lob wedge and said if you're not a 10 handicap or better don't carry one.

Good advice on the 3 iron and 3 wood though.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good advice, I would have put at * by the lob wedge and said if you're not a 10 handicap or better don't carry one.

Good advice on the 3 iron and 3 wood though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yes and no. I'd agree with that statement from the fairway and using it for alot of the creative shots if can perform.

But I think a many new golfers will quite often find themselves in the rough on the short side of the pin. Its likely that their contact/angle of attack on a pitch will not be very crisp and not generate a ton of spin to stop the ball from rolling out past the hole. Here is where I think the 60* is their friend. (and mine for that matter)
Old 04-25-2007, 08:54 PM

I agree that a lob wedge for a complete newcomer is a bad idea.

OP - I like how you stress not to spend too much money on your first set of clubs (ideally you get a full set from a yard sale for like $30 or so). The money you save SHOULD be spent immediately on 6 to 10 lessons that include video taping your swing.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

3.) Iron set: Most sets come 3-PW. If you can find a way to not get the 3 iron and save the money, do it. Otherwise just drop it from the bag. Don't be afraid to go used with these. Iron technology has not significantly improved in the last 20 years, despite marketing claims. Just get a large cavity with some offset (how far the front of the club is back of the shaft) Regular flex shaft

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought the Nike CPR iron set (5-P)about 3 years ago when I broke 100. I love them, easy to hit and great for beginners. For ~200 you get the irons you need and not the ones you don't.
Old 04-26-2007, 01:58 AM

I would suggest buying USED clubs in good to excellent condition. Look for a local store or buy online at a FORUM site.

www.4gea.com is a start

I am a 6 handicap and have NEVER bought a new iron set. Only new driver and new wedges every 2 years. ANd usually I buy last years model and save a couple hundred, or buy used driver.

New clubs wont help. I even suggest buying a set of NON game improvement irons. Not blades, just small cavitys. Learning to hit those will give you a better game. I have only been playing 4 years, and I started with old blades. Now Taylormade 300 irons (not made anymore) look em up great set for beginner to pro

jc
Old 04-26-2007, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

www.4gea.com the best info source on the net

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-26-2007, 06:09 AM

Hi, I'm a golf pro in Dallas area. For once I actually see some quality info about golf on a public forum. I would like to add something about hybrids. Unless your clubhead speed with your driver is over 100mph you should have some type of hybrid or lofted fairway wood for your 3 and 4 irons, maybe 5 also. Very few professionals have 3irons anymore. Lob wedges usually do more harm than good unless you practice/play a decent amount. Sand wedges are so versatile now and are much more forgiving. There is a lot of bad advice out there. (kinda like poker) Get a 2nd maybe 3rd opinion if you're not sure and if you want my opinion pm me. Fwiw, i think Taylormade makes the best equipment.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:38 PM

www.bombsquadgold.com is a good info source as well.

THey are into the "tour" versions of clubs alot, and to be honest the deals at 4gea are better

Westhoff, do you agree with me that you should buy used irons to start. I mean, just for the fact that if beginner you dont want to mess up the face (wearing and scuffing outside the sweet spot) on a new set. Right?

thanks,

jc
Old 04-26-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(wearing and scuffing outside the sweet spot)

[/ QUOTE ]

But then when you get good its like you still have a new set of clubs [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]