Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 06:35 AM

Default Review my at home workout.

Just started working out and trying to build muscle. So far I'm starting off slow doing this every other day. Right now I have a dumbbell set and thats it. Basically I'm wondering if this is a good workout for building muscle, I'm also taking whey protein after the workout. Excuse my terminology or spelling

3 x 10 pushups
2 x 10 concentration curls
2 x 10 Hammer Hurls
2 x 7 Reverse pushup
2 x 10 Shoulder Shrugs
2 x 10 Tricep Kickbacks
2 x 10 Overhead Tricep extensions

2 Mile run.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:49 AM

Default Re: Review my at home workout.

That is not a good program to build muscle.

In order to build muscle, you need to break your workouts up a little more according to bodypart/muscle. You are overtraining by hitting the same muscle groups every other day.

The best way to gain muscle mass, is to train one or two muscle groups in a session. Hit it hard and heavy and don't hit it again for at least 36 hours or longer.

My split right now is 2 on 1 off 2 on 2 off.

Monday: Chest
Tuesday: Back
Wed. Off
Thursday: Legs
Friday: Shoulders and arms.

Of course, there are a ton of different ways to split things up and you should experiment until you find on that works.

Also, start eating five to six smaller meals through out the day. Drink a scoop of protein powder with each one. A good idea is to eat 3 solid meals and 3 protein supplement meals.

If you don't mind putting on a little body fat with your muscle, which in my opinion is almost unavoidable for gaining mass, you need to take in lots of calories. You should get a mininum of 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body wieght each day. Keep carbs moderate and fat moderate/low.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just started working out and trying to build muscle. So far I'm starting off slow doing this every other day. Right now I have a dumbbell set and thats it. Basically I'm wondering if this is a good workout for building muscle, I'm also taking whey protein after the workout. Excuse my terminology or spelling

3 x 10 pushups
2 x 10 concentration curls
2 x 10 Hammer Hurls
2 x 7 Reverse pushup
2 x 10 Shoulder Shrugs
2 x 10 Tricep Kickbacks
2 x 10 Overhead Tricep extensions

2 Mile run.

[/ QUOTE ]

It looks like your only interested in your arms or getting some beach muscles. Despite only having a dumbell set you can do some decent exercises. I would do a total body workout as you'll have difficulty isolating a bodypart with your limitations. Try something like this, reps and sets of course can be changed but since you'll only have access to lighter wieghts I would do in the area of 12 reps over 3+ sets.

dumbell squat
dumbell lunge
pushups -(if these are light try putting some weight in a backpack)
one arm dumbell row
overhead press
calf raises
standing curls
skull crushers
Old 10-16-2007, 09:54 AM

I'm pretty much a newb but I've been reading this forum and the FAQ extensively for the last month and here are my thoughts:

[ QUOTE ]

In order to build muscle, you need to break your workouts up a little more according to bodypart/muscle. You are overtraining by hitting the same muscle groups every other day.

[/ QUOTE ]
This used to be accepted as truth but it seems that it has been "disproved" or at least fallen out of favor. Almost all the popular strength programs recommended today use full body workouts multiple days a week. Starting Strength has you doing squats every training day (3 times a week).

[ QUOTE ]
you'll only have access to lighter wieghts I would do in the area of 12 reps over 3+ sets.

[/ QUOTE ]
Don't do this. High reps increase muscle endurance but they don't increase muscle strength, mass or power (power = strength + speed). Get heavier weights or join a gym if you want to get stronger.

I'd recommend that you read the Starting Strength FAQ and then reconsider your workout.

And remember that the key to building muscle is diet. No amount of pumping iron will build muscle if you don't get the proper amount of macronutrients and aren't eating at a caloric excess.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

This used to be accepted as truth but it seems that it has been "disproved" or at least fallen out of favor. Almost all the popular strength programs recommended today use full body workouts multiple days a week. Starting Strength has you doing squats every training day (3 times a week).

[/ QUOTE ]

The first quote is true. The second is not. If you want to train at the intensity that is required to build quality muscle mass, then your muscles will need adequate time to recuperate. There is no competitive or serious bodybuilder who hits the same muscle group every other day. It has not been disproven and it is still accepted as truth by serious bodybuilders because it is still a fact.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The first quote is true. The second is not. If you want to train at the intensity that is required to build quality muscle mass, then your muscles will need adequate time to recuperate. There is no competitive or serious bodybuilder who hits the same muscle group every other day. It has not been disproven and it is still accepted as truth by serious bodybuilders because it is still a fact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Serious Bodybuilders =/= Beginners
Old 10-16-2007, 08:46 PM

The only fact is that you need to hit the muscles hard. Doing a bunch of light junk like OP to fatigue your muscles without pushing them is junk. Exactly how long you need to rest between sessions for a given muscle group depends on a lot of things.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The only fact is that you need to hit the muscles hard. Doing a bunch of light junk like OP to fatigue your muscles without pushing them is junk. Exactly how long you need to rest between sessions for a given muscle group depends on a lot of things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree you have to hit your muscles hard. That is a fact if you want to gain quality muscle mass. It is also a fact that your muscles need adequate rest in order to grow. Your muscles don't grow in the gym, they grow away from the gym.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:58 PM

Wolfram posted everything spot on 100% correct. I didn't reply originally since there was no need to. I have no clue what you are talking about cbloom or oneeyejak.

And there is far more to programming than "hitting your muscles hard", lest you use juice to cover up almost all errors.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no clue what you are talking about cbloom or oneeyejak.

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading some of your previous posts, that doesn't really suprise me.