Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 02:27 AM

Default lifting at home

I'm getting tired of having to drive to my gym every day, so I want to get some equiptment to lift at home.

I don't have any weights right now, and space is not a major concern. I do various freeweight exercises, squats, and bench. I don't want to sink a ton of money into building a sick home gym or anything, but I want to be able to do reasonable lifting the days I don't feel like going to the gym.

so

(1) Whats the min I need to do safe squats at home?
(2) what type of equiptment should I get? Are adjustable dumbbells preferable to a normal dumbbell set? etc
(3) should I buy this stuff at a local place or just order it online, and what websites/brands are best to get?

thanks

-Jeff
Old 10-15-2007, 03:33 AM

Default Re: lifting at home

If you don't want to get a power rack, how about squat stands?

Do you do deadlifts or power cleans? If I were building a home gym I'd make sure I could drop the bar from shoulder height without causing a huge racket/breaking something.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:59 AM

To build your own gym its actually quite simple and inexpensive.

You can purchase a power rack from new your barbells shipped to you for less than $300. A power rack is the way to go as it will act as a spotter on different lifts. You can bench or squat in it with ease.

You need to get a set of weights. Look on Craigslist or a similar site in your area. Also a lot of fitness stores will sell a complete ply weight set for $200ish.

When on craiglsit look for a decent bench. You can find a good bench for $50 and if not wait one will be posted witihin a few days.

Since your working out at home you should do something to your floor. I took 4 sheets of 4x8 plywood and crossed them over each other. It provides a nice floor that I can deadlift on without ruining the floor below me.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:43 PM

My suggestion is to start with a few key items, and then add more if you find you're enjoying working out at home. Here's my suggestions:

- buy Olympia/York-style weight racks (cybex, etc.), similar to what you'd get at the gym, not those cheaper "home gym" alternatives with smaller bars. That way whether you're working out at home, or the gym, you have a similar experience.

- buy a flat bench (ideally one that's adjustable into an incline or straight 90 degree angle, but buy quality over versatility) and a squat rack/with sidebars.
- depending upon how strong you are, get the minimum weights you need, which is probably 2-4 45 lb plates, two 25 lb plates, two 10 lb plates and two 5 lb plates.
- get 3 sets of dumbbells -- one that's close to the maximum you can bicep curl for a rep or two, one that's around half that weight, and one that's extremely light (eg. 45 / 25/ 15, or 30/15/5).
- That is absolutely all the equipment you need for a gym-calibur workout.

- if you want to add to it, buy a treadmill and/or your cardio machine of choice.

- if you want to go with a less elaborate "basics" setup, rather than a "gym substitute" one - just get the flat bench, minimal weights for it (pair back the list above based upon what you're currently pressing), and the dumbbells. I know you said you wanted something for squats, but you can get a more than capable leg workout with this minimal setup by doing lunges (with dumbbells or the the bar); and hamstring and regular (bent-leg) deadlifts; and you can still use the flat-bench bar for deep squats with lighter weight.

Edit: do NOT get adjustable dumbbells. Buying online is fine, and may be easier for you if there isn't a convenient gym retailer near you (if there is though, go to it first, as they can help answer specific questions).

Good luck.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:52 PM

good input, thanks a lot

I'll probably forego the squats and just save them for the gym. I think the smaller setup is definitely the way to go for now. I'm probably just going to go to a local retailer to find the stuff that I need, might end up doing amazon or something though. I already own an exercise bike which I much prefer to treadmill. I'm not sure about the power rack atm.

btw, why no adjustable dumbbells?
Old 10-15-2007, 05:56 PM

hey dess, whats wrong with adjustables?