Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-19-2007, 02:16 PM

Default Friday Night Lights Season 2

Last year I was super apprehensive about this show, there is even a FNL thread from last year where I believe it was Dids that tried to convince me how great this show is. Two things were going on at the moment: 1. I felt the FNL and Texas HS Football idea was overplayed and getting annoying and 2. I had seen the pilot and thought it wasn't anything special. The problem was that the show takes off after the first episode, the first episode set everything up and I didn't give it a chance.

I kept hearing how great the show was despite the ratings (ratings as we all know mean nil--take a look at Grey's, Ugly Betty etc.) so I watched about 8 of them online and caught up, I was now in love with the show.

I came across an article today that seemed like it was written by me it just so happened to be written by Bill Simmons. He too was skeptical and now is wanting as many people to watch this show b/c it is very likely to get canceled this season (almost didn't picked up for this season).

Bill Simmons FNL article

Who else thinks this show is pure greatness?

Oh, and watch this damn show.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Friday Night Lights Season 2

T - great to see you back in OOT man.

This show is very well executed (caught up with Season 1 recently). I posted a couple things in OOT during the 2006/07 In Season offering reasons for its weak ratings:

I think it's basically a "non-focused demo" issue - the show is perhaps a bit too sophisticated / not light enough for the OC demo, and too many kids as principals for the older crowd. Hopefully the ratings pickup 2007/08. I'm not at NBC, but I imagine the show returned largely on the strength of how damn good it is. And a belief that viewers will flock to quality.

From Simmons' article:

[ QUOTE ]
On Aug. 28, NBC released the American DVDs with a "satisfaction guaranteed" gimmick. Now if you continue to ignore FNL, it's only because you're trying to hurt me. If you do give it a shot, let me recommend the impeccable acting, the lively football scenes (although they tend to go overboard on exciting finishes), the risky story lines and especially Coach Taylor's family, the most authentic household in recent TV history. Every nuance is nailed, every hug seems genuine, every fight makes sense, every sarcastic barb and flustered reaction ring true.

[/ QUOTE ]

That really resonated with me, 100% agree. It does small, quiet moments really well - basically it feels real, no small achievement for a network TV show.

-Al
Old 09-19-2007, 02:24 PM

Like I said a lot last season. IMO it was easily the best new drama of the year. If you ignore the really corny over dramatic end of game football stuff, the rest was great. Also the girls are [censored] insane hot. There's something for everybody.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:40 PM

Agreed with the horrible job they do dramaticizing the end of games.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:44 PM

If it does get canceled, I hope that they see the potential in a Landry spinoff.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said a lot last season. IMO it was easily the best new drama of the year. If you ignore the really corny over dramatic end of game football stuff, the rest was great. Also the girls are [censored] insane hot. There's something for everybody.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this entirely

After watching FNL Season 1 (which I finished in one weekend, got addicted) and seeing the great writing, one of the best on-screen family dynamics I've seen written in a long time (the coach-wife-daughter) and just how down to earth and even touching it could be while being real, I made sure I recommended it to everyone.

Wow I just reread that last paragraph and it sucks, but I don't care. Kyle Chandler said in an interview that he's not even sure if it's going to make it the whole season, so they are doing what they can to promote it. EW loves it, Bill Simmons article is good, but seriously 2+2, please do yourself a favor and rent/buy season 1, it's great.

I think it was the best season on television last year. Actually scratch that, it's probably Wire season 4, then FNL seasons 1. The Emmy's of course didn't give it any love because somehow Boston Legal is witty or something... and god forbid we nominate Connie Britton who deals with the real human emotion as Patricia Arquette talks to ghosts.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:55 PM

Props to ESPN for letting Simmons run a full page add for another network in their mag. V. surprised that happened.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:58 PM

FNL might be my favorite show right now
Old 09-19-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it does get canceled, I hope that they see the potential in a Landry spinoff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Landry is the best character in the show, agreed

SPOILERS ABOUT SEASON 2 (just plot elements):

<font color="white"> Supposedly they fast forward 8 months for the start of season 2... and I'm a little feared how well the show will work with Chandler in another town. Lila finds Jesus (I keep thinking Mandy Moore in Saved!) Riggins parties more than usual (how is this possible?) and Smash lets the hype get to his head (all of this based on EW)</font>
Old 09-19-2007, 03:53 PM

I love this show.. Am def looking forward to the new season.. It starts next Monday right?