Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 11-28-2007, 06:04 AM

Default Re: This is why I\'m for the death penalty.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So they weren't actually "wrongfully executed" were they?

[/ QUOTE ]
They were sentenced to death.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they dead?

[/ QUOTE ]
They probably would be if they didn't fight the legal system through appeals and such. By sentencing someone to death, society is saying "we think you are guilty and we will kill you for it". Then, they turn out to be wrong. Oops.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is why upstanding citizens should be armed. I find it ridiculous that so many people are forced by law to place themselves at the mercy of these gangsta pieces of [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Your logic is weak. DUCY?

[/ QUOTE ]
As far as I can tell, I haven't yet expressed any train of logic. I expressed the opinion that upstanding citizens should be armed. And I expressed the opinion that laws mandating that gangsta pieces of [censored] have the upper hand in violent confrontations with upstanding citizens are ridiculous. I may hold these opinions for logical reasons, but I haven't yet expressed them in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're first statement seems to be part of an argument. I do agree with it, however, and would like to hear the explanation for why it is wrong.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they dead?

[/ QUOTE ]
They probably would be if they didn't fight the legal system through appeals and such. By sentencing someone to death, society is saying "we think you are guilty and we will kill you for it". Then, they turn out to be wrong. Oops.

[/ QUOTE ]

So Bedreviter is right. Its no different than sentencing someone to prison who is innocent. A tragedy, but no one but a few fringe nutjobs are actually calling for the abolition of the prison system for the reason that a small minority of people are wrongfully convicted.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thats like arguing against the morality of sentencing people to serve time in prison based on the fact that people that have served time in prison are later found to beinnocent, and the government have wrongfully taken away their freedom for an often substantial time. Noone is arguing in favor of punishing innocent people.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you not see any difference between putting an innocent person in prison for life, releasing him 15 years later because he turned out to be innocent, and killing him and finding out he was innocent 15 years later..?

My point is, killing an innocent person is worse than putting him in prison. Do you not agree?
Old 11-28-2007, 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they dead?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So BDV is right. Its no different than sentencing someone to prison who is innocent. A tragedy, but no one but a few fringe nutjobs are actually calling for the abolition of the prison system for the reason that a small minority of people are wrongfully convicted.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually a poor analogy. Death is final. Once you flip the switch, so to speak, there are no appeals and perhaps only an extremely small increase to the safety of others. Do you support the death penalty from position of deterrence or punishment or what?
Old 11-28-2007, 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So Bedreviter is right. Its no different than sentencing someone to prison who is innocent. A tragedy, but no one but a few fringe nutjobs are actually calling for the abolition of the prison system for the reason that a small minority of people are wrongfully convicted.

[/ QUOTE ]
As long as the innocent person isn't killed in time, you're right. However, you are arguing for killing him, right?
Old 11-28-2007, 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Thats like arguing against the morality of sentencing people to serve time in prison based on the fact that people that have served time in prison are later found to beinnocent, and the government have wrongfully taken away their freedom for an often substantial time. Noone is arguing in favor of punishing innocent people.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you not see any difference between putting an innocent person in prison for life, releasing him 15 years later because he turned out to be innocent, and killing him and finding out he was innocent 15 years later..?

My point is, killing an innocent person is worse than putting him in prison. Do you not agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

You still haven't pointed to a specific case where the highlighted portion happened, just pointed to several that show the criminal justice system does in fact work, albeit slowly at times.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they dead?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So BDV is right. Its no different than sentencing someone to prison who is innocent. A tragedy, but no one but a few fringe nutjobs are actually calling for the abolition of the prison system for the reason that a small minority of people are wrongfully convicted.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's actually a poor analogy. Death is final. Once you flip the switch, so to speak, there are no appeals and perhaps only an extremely small increase to the safety of others. Do you support the death penalty from position of deterrence or punishment or what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Deterrence, public safety, punishment, all rolled together.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You still haven't pointed to a specific case where the highlighted portion happened, just pointed to several that show the criminal justice system does in fact work, albeit slowly at times.

[/ QUOTE ]
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/arti...?&did=2238 (I didn't actually read through those cases, but quickly googled something)
Old 11-28-2007, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
As long as the innocent person isn't killed in time, you're right. However, you are arguing for killing him, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, ignore what I said at the top of the thread, I was in the middle of some female induced tilt.

The truth is, the appeals system works. It does become a pain though, because so many of these guys know they're guilty, their attorneys know they're guilty, and there is plenty of hard evidence to prove guilt, so they clog up the court system with minor technicalities.