Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2007, 08:45 PM

Default Re: Don\'t taze me drone!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
police are trained to lie on(officially) and off(unofficially) the stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Source? And this is one HELL of a statement, I want pages and pages. Unless your source is Law & Order or something. Then again, it probably is.

[ QUOTE ]
also a lot of places the taser is a pain compliance device. which means if you get pulled over and the officer tells you to get out of the car and you refuse, they are trained to just tase you repeatedly until you get out. which might be ok for a guy or a big guy, but when it happens to a 90 pound woman it's just dumb cause any cop even a girl cop should be able to manhandle a 90 pounder. I mean, come on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Source? I've yet to see a dept where the taser was used that way. It is a compliance device, but not pain compliance. Then again, you probably don't know the difference anyway. Well, actally I'm sure you don't, because your very definition of what a pain compliance device is and how it can be used were miles off the mark.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait. Do you actually work for Blackwater?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I actually work for the Georgia Department of Corrections, prior to that, I worked for the Dekalb County Police Department (GA) and the Calhoun County Sheriffs Department (AL).

I've graduated with two police academy classes, one in GA and one in Alabama, I've also passed four prison mandates, hold a bachelors in Criminal Justice, and in all that training, I've never once been told to lie. I have however, been told on more occasions than I could hope to count that "If you lie, you die". I've also seen more cops get fired for lying than anything else.

I don't work for Blackwater, but I have trained with them. Quality firearms training, best in the world.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, I actually work for the Georgia Department of Corrections, prior to that, I worked for the Dekalb County Police Department (GA) and the Calhoun County Sheriffs Department (AL).

I've graduated with two police academy classes, one in GA and one in Alabama, I've also passed four prison mandates, hold a bachelors in Criminal Justice, and in all that training, I've never once been told to lie. I have however, been told on more occasions than I could hope to count that "If you lie, you die". I've also seen more cops get fired for lying than anything else.

I don't work for Blackwater, but I have trained with them. Quality firearms training, best in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

What does the department of corrections do?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What does the department of corrections do?

[/ QUOTE ]

House felony inmates that are in the custody of the state.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Right, there are bad apples in surgery AND THIS IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS and so very extreme measures are taken to prevent these bad apples. Institutional measures, personal measures, whatever it takes, because we simply cannot have bad apples in certain professions.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, if you think surgeons are held to a high standard. google the stats for doctor screw ups (lethal).
Old 11-29-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Testilying
http://www.ocweekly.com/ink/99/38/news-moxley2.php
[ QUOTE ]
While the U.S. Supreme Court has officially sanctioned such dishonesty, it’s fair to ask: When can the public feel confident that its cops aren’t lying?

[/ QUOTE ]

well perhaps you simply were in a very honest (small) county or something, where the police don't informally coach the newbies to lie on the stand. the fact that officers were fired kinda proves that this didn't go on.

but as far as lying in the day to day operations, that is expected and part of the job. just look up cunningly coerced into waiving rights or something like that. but you probably didn't mean you don't lie to suspects.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Right, there are bad apples in surgery AND THIS IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS and so very extreme measures are taken to prevent these bad apples. Institutional measures, personal measures, whatever it takes, because we simply cannot have bad apples in certain professions.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, if you think surgeons are held to a high standard. google the stats for doctor screw ups (lethal).

[/ QUOTE ]

So the whole rest of my post...just ignored huh. Ok.
Old 11-29-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well I guess I agree that police should be better regulated, but imo walmart employees are way more regulated than either doctors or police.

probably the main problem is that doctors, lawyers, and police all regulate themselves. I'm sure if walmart workers self regulated themselves walmart would be broke within a short period of time.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well I guess I agree that police should be better regulated, but imo walmart employees are way more regulated than either doctors or police.

probably the main problem is that doctors, lawyers, and police all regulate themselves. I'm sure if walmart workers self regulated themselves walmart would be broke within a short period of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Might want to choose a better example. Even Walmart workers now have unions these days.

There are bad apples and there is corruption in every profession. I'm baffled by your venom towards cops in particular, because they basically carry out the letter of the law the best they can.

I understand, especially in the US, there are situations where cops abuse their authority or do things that may be illegal or immoral with regards to their profession, but that's true everywhere.

I've had good and bad experiences with cops, and by and large you may want to consider that they have a very tough job to do. I'm not saying show them compassion and bleed your hearts out for them, but realize that when a cop goes foul, the crime isn't generally hidden, but sensationalized rather.

So in essence, the public does regulate the policing to some extent, perhaps not as much as liberals would like. And the profession does attract its share of sadists and people with power complexes. That's unavoidable and can't be efficiently screened for.

That, however, does not mean by and large a cop's job isn't to protect and serve and try to bring good and order into a community. It's not an easy job when you consider the kind of people they have to come in contact with day in, day out.

Not liberals, but recidivists.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
walmart employees are way more regulated

[/ QUOTE ]

You're making some extreme claims here. Have you looked into the loss prevention industry?
Old 11-30-2007, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
walmart employees are way more regulated

You're making some extreme claims here. Have you looked into the loss prevention industry?

[/ QUOTE ]

the analogy to medicine would be that if a walmart cashier came up short at the end of his shift, the other walmart workers would keep it hush hush, and if it somehow came out that his register was short, he would have to appear before a disciplinary board composed of his fellow cashiers.