Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Closed Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 02:02 PM

Default Hiring Indian \"personal assistants\"

So I heard about this for the first time a couple months ago, and then saw it mentioned in this this thread, and after some googling, found this great article and must admit: I'm now intrigued.

The first time my friend told me that she had a personal assistant, I thought "meh, spoiled child needs someone to buy her groceries and pick up her laundry, but I guess it'll save her some time." Then she told me the assistant was in India and I was officially WTF(?!)

After she explained to me how it worked -- e.g. you send them tasks like picking out birthday presents for friends/fam, finding mexican restaurants in a city you're traveling to, etc -- I was even more confused...most of all, perhaps b/c this girl isn't stupid or lazy. In fact, she's pretty sharp, logical (for a girl), funny, sarcastic...she's actually got a lot of the same attributes I pride on having myself, which made the seemingly-harebrained Indian personal assistant thing all the more perplexing. She tried explaining it to me (raving about it), but I still didn't get it. If I want to find a Mexican restaurant in Vancouver, give me around 3 minutes on Google. If I need to pick out what movie I want to see this weekend, again >> just give me a few minutes to browse through the Yahoo critic reviews and I'm all set. In short, I simply couldn't imagine what possible scenario would lend itself to an outsourced Indian personal assistant doing a more efficient job than I could do myself (factoring in the time it would take me to actually explain to them what I want). In fact, that's what gets me the most >> it seems like I'd spend 10 minutes typing up an email to them explaining the task, when I could simply accomplish it myself in half that time.

But, like I said, I have a lot of respect for this girl > she's not an idiot, and I feel like I must be missing something here that would lead an otherwise intelligent and reasonable human being to use this service. I really do WANT to understand this, but I'm struggling. Anyone here make use of these services and have anything positive/negative to say about them?
Old 11-15-2007, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Hiring Indian \"personal assistants\"

The thing that I don't understand about this is the time zone differences. I mean, when you want to find a Mexican restaurant in Vancouver they're probably fast asleep. Or are they supposed to be on call for you 24/7?
Old 11-15-2007, 02:57 PM

"picking out birthday presents for friends/fam"

Old 11-15-2007, 03:00 PM

LOL
Old 11-15-2007, 03:18 PM

I thought the whole point of having a personal assistant was getting to choose a hot one who you could bang on the sly... isn't this just an enormous waste of money?
Old 11-15-2007, 03:53 PM

doesn't nation have a bunch of these playing 100nl FR for him?
Old 11-15-2007, 04:01 PM

Their good for dealing with tasks or people you dont like, or things you dont want to dirty your hands with, like procuring drugs and hookers.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Their good for dealing with tasks or people you dont like, or things you dont want to dirty your hands with, like procuring drugs and hookers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Over the phone from India? What are they gonna do, give the dealer my credit card #?
Old 11-15-2007, 04:18 PM

The best reason I can think of for hiring one of these people would be if I had some data entry sort of job I needed done that didn't involve either sensitive information or require zero mistakes. In general I can't see trusting a service like this with any task significant enough for it to be worth the help.
Old 11-15-2007, 04:35 PM

this sounds like an even dumber onstar.
Closed Thread