Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 03:24 PM

Default Re: November \"I FORGOT MY MANTRA\" Low Content chit-chat thread

Dave,

IMDB definitely supports DB on this one. It's "You'll shoot your eye out," but sometimes with a "No at the beginning or a "kid" at the end.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:37 PM

diebitter, you are making this personal.

This movie, called The Christmas Carol, was based in the Midwest. Several people will (incorrectly) tell you that this was shot in Cleveland, Ohio. This movie is watched, re-watched, owned, tivo-ed and re-vcr'ed in my hometown more than any other show you ever heard. While the rest of America is watching "It's a Wonderful Life" once a year, we are popping "The Christmas Carol" ad nauseum into the vcr, pressing pause restart over and over to skip all of the commercial breaks.

This movie has more meaning to Middle America than any other film. It is in color. It shows the simple life with no frills, an ugly, flawed family, and does so with the subtlety that does not insult the Midwest, but still makes us laugh at ourselves, even though we think we are laughing at someone else.

It is the Midwestern Dream in a nutshell. Ask for the attainable, and fall flat on your face trying to get it. Be rediculed because you dare step three inches off the center line. A gun in a Midwestern setting is beyond thinkable, yet someone dares to dream of it, and not because of a malicious lacking, but for an awe-inspiring innocence. This movie speaks because it goes so well with the Midwestern philosophy of just suck it up and be happy with what ya got, and if you don't like it, well that's tough. Only other, lesser, people are willing to sell their souls for more material, non-essential items.

And with that, you question ME?

I just looked it up on the imdb, and sure enough you are correct. After nearly memorizing the entire movie, I get it's most famous line wrong.

It is not "Don't shoot your eye out."

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This movie, called The Christmas Carol, was based in the Midwest. Several people will (incorrectly) tell you that this was shot in Cleveland, Ohio.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm.....isn't it "A Christmas Story"? We're talking about the Jean Shephard-narrated movie from his book, right?
Old 11-26-2007, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It is not "Don't shoot your eye out."

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not wrong. The mother said it as Ralphie is about to go out with the gun for the first time, I think. I was just saying 'you'll shoot your eye out' is in it too, and more than once.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This movie, called The Christmas Carol, was based in the Midwest. Several people will (incorrectly) tell you that this was shot in Cleveland, Ohio.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm.....isn't it "A Christmas Story"? We're talking about the Jean Shephard-narrated movie from his book, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I guess that is the movie I am talking about. The whole post was just an exercise in boredom, really, and full of inaccuracies, this probably being the most minor. You would have to accept that TiVo is commonly used in Ohio.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, I guess that is the movie I am talking about. The whole post was just an exercise in boredom, really, and full of inaccuracies, this probably being the most minor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, sorry, wasn't trying to be nitty. I came late to the dance and saw "Christmas Carol", and got a picture of Ebeneezer Scrooge in my head.

[ QUOTE ]
You would have to accept that TiVo is commonly used in Ohio.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm from Detroit, I understand the Midwest/Tivo deal. I have 3 DirecTivo's in my house, mostly because we can't venture outdoors for 2-3 months in the winter.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I just looked it up on the imdb, and sure enough you are correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

I learned a long time ago not to doubt Diebitter. He is usually right [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. Hey DB, how many times would you say you have watched this movie anyway?
Old 11-27-2007, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Chipwrecked, how was your Thanksgiving?

[/ QUOTE ]

It was OK, thanks.

My work environment is 24/7 and I usually work Thanksgiving night. I was told a week beforehand that I was being taken off the shift for 'budget cutbacks'. I made a bit of a stink over it due to the short notice (and the loss of holiday worked pay) which only served to annoy my superiors. My company sucks, it is a for profit HMO and is crooked as a dog's hind leg. I got on board here for the work experience but am continuing my certification work and will be looking at other opportunities as soon as I think I'm marketable as a VOIP engineer.

Glad you asked? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2007, 05:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I just looked it up on the imdb, and sure enough you are correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

I learned a long time ago not to doubt Diebitter. He is usually right [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. Hey DB, how many times would you say you have watched this movie anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

At least a dozen. We watch it yearly these days.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:00 AM

Well, big game hunting season i sover now and it feels strange. Still some bird hunting left and coyote hunting as well but still not the same as deer and elk hunting.

We ended up with more meat than we needed so yesterday we made a trip out to take a deer to an elder on the reservation next to us. He is a really nice guy and visits my wife in the bank where she works and gets very excited to hear when she got her elk this year and two years ago as well. He saw her this year the week before opening day for rifle and he told her he was going to pray for her to do well hunting and opening day we both got elk. We gave him a bunch of elk meat and told him it must have been a pretty good prayer. :-)

Anyway, it was nice to get him and his wife some meat. He was very happy to see the deer and it is good to see someone get that who can really use it. We also have another woman in town who had a stroke recently that we are going to give a deer. I will process that one for her and I am sure she will be happy to have a bunch of meat for the freezer.

It feels good to give/share with other people.
Closed Thread