Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2007, 11:01 PM

Default Re: got a job interview...

I'm a recruiter. I put food on the table by helping to hire people for other companies. If it were me, I'd prefer that you didn't waste my time. However, I have also had lots of conversations with people I would never possibly place, helping them improve their resumes, giving them job search tips and so on. The issue is though, I don't want to get my hopes up on a candidate who clearly isn't going to take a job, and I want to have some control over the hours I volunteer helping others out.

In the end, though, it's not going to be a major deal if you do go to the interview. Just be open with the recruiter and let him/her know that you're not entirely convinced you want this job. Part of a recruiter's job is to sell you on the opportunity. Maybe it will turn out to be a good one for you.

If it's not a good match, though, you should both know it by the end of the interview. Don't play games wuth them...
Old 04-23-2007, 01:36 AM

You bet. Practice all you want on whomever will give you airtime.

After all, does the interviewing company offer you any assurances of an offer following this interview? Um, no.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I received an email from a company I don't remember applying to. I re-read the job description and it doesn't appear that I am in any way qualified for the position. The job is also local to my university city, a city in which I never planned to stay. There is a very small chance that I will accept any offer that is made.

Is it ethical for me to accept the interview for the main purpose of practicing my interview skills?

[/ QUOTE ]

Id have a huge problem with doing this. That company is spending time and resources to interview you. I wouldnt feel right wasting their time and money. If you dont want the job then dont go to the interview. Ive done about 100 interviews and could give you some pointers if you are really desperate.

Richard

[/ QUOTE ]

Companies waste your time all the time by calling in interview candidates when they already have an internal in mind to say the least. Go ahead - waste their time - use their staff to improve your interview skills. If you're gonna work in corp america, they're gonna screw you a lot - at least take advantage of them to improve yourself.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:13 PM

As a former corporate recruiter I can tell you that most recruiters wouldn't/don't do that. They have too much on their plate to waste their time interviewing someone if they know the position will be filled internally. I'm not saying that it NEVER happens, but I can't fathom why it would happen.

Now if an external candidate looks more qualified than an internal candidate, then that's a different story. You definitely want to consider those people, but sometimes they turn out not to be as good as they look on paper.

[ QUOTE ]

Companies waste your time all the time by calling in interview candidates when they already have an internal in mind to say the least. Go ahead - waste their time - use their staff to improve your interview skills. If you're gonna work in corp america, they're gonna screw you a lot - at least take advantage of them to improve yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-18-2007, 03:23 PM

the real play here is to just do the interview and get the job. From teh sounds of it, it's a pretty good job that might make you happy, just do a little lying and try to suckout int he job world
Old 07-18-2007, 03:26 PM

Lou,

why do you keep bumping this thread month(s) after it has died?
Old 07-18-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I received an email from a company I don't remember applying to. I re-read the job description and it doesn't appear that I am in any way qualified for the position. The job is also local to my university city, a city in which I never planned to stay. There is a very small chance that I will accept any offer that is made.

Is it ethical for me to accept the interview for the main purpose of practicing my interview skills?

[/ QUOTE ]

Id have a huge problem with doing this. That company is spending time and resources to interview you. I wouldnt feel right wasting their time and money. If you dont want the job then dont go to the interview. Ive done about 100 interviews and could give you some pointers if you are really desperate.

Richard

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen this happen too many times to count. People do interviews because company policy requires them to interview X number of candidates -- sometimes specifically external candidates -- before hiring someone's nephew. Many firms hire relatives and friends for any opening possible, but doing interviews keeps them somewhat immune from charges of nepotism and general failure to promote from within.