Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes

Old 01-04-2007, 11:21 AM

Default NL100: Two pair gets resistance against donkey.

Villain is 60/8/5 after 100 hands. Minbetting seems to be villains default action.

Poker Room skin
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.50/$1
5 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $52.10
CO: $78.75
Hero: $156.90
SB: $95.40
BB: $102.10

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $2</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($8, 4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $1</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($12, 4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $1</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $8</font>, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $21</font>...
Old 01-04-2007, 11:42 AM

Default Re: NL100: Two pair gets resistance against donkey.

i like a sucker minraise to get sure to stack him at the river.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:02 PM

I don't like minraise here, because villain might be raising with turned flush draw.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like minraise here, because villain might be raising with turned flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly, this is why you need to suck him as much as you can in this hand. You want him to be pot-comitted, because you can't fold your hand given your read and the way he's been playing the hand...
Old 01-04-2007, 12:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
His range is quite wide, and I think we do well against it. So a raise is called for, but not too large to fold out pair of aces. I raise to $40 since he is donkey
Old 01-04-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly, this is why you need to suck him as much as you can in this hand. You want him to be pot-comitted, because you can't fold your hand given your read and the way he's been playing the hand...

[/ QUOTE ]

Minraising is a terrible play if you think he may have turned a flush draw. Sure it commits him to the pot, but you're allowing him proper odds to call with that draw and hence, not forcing him into an error. I'm reraising this to at least 45$, enough to deny him proper odds. And also, if he's a donkey, it doesn't matter what you bet, he will likely call with a flush draw, or any ace, anyway.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:58 PM

blah, a min-raise is fine, you need to make a bet that does well against his range of hands, and only a portion of that is a flush draw (and with these min-better guys I would say a small portion of that). I think likely hands are any ace, any two pair, a set, a flush draw, air, etc. A minraise will get him to push 2 pair+ (which you are ahead of), and call with the rest, and set you up for a nice river push. Because I don't min-raise, I would make it $46 [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

Not giving odds to a draw (protecting your hand), while an aspect of the game, is not usually the most important thing to worry about.