Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Why is \'chip dumping\' HU bad?

Just curious, what changed from the time you enterred the tourney? Surely you didn't pay $200 for the opportunity to receive $180?

That being said -- I don't think it's cheating here, since 1st and 2nd get the same prize, you're the only one losing (assuming you weren't friends with either of the villians).
Old 11-08-2007, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Surely you didn't pay $200 for the opportunity to receive $180?

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a satellite into a $200 tourney. I'm sure the entry was only a few dollars or fpps.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:08 PM

my bad, I suppose I should learn how to read English some day :-)
Old 11-08-2007, 06:15 PM

You can chip dump without it being detectable.

Use msn messenger or skype. And wait until both players have a monster hand. Then get it all in. You could do this in a ring game too.

One could send money overseas this way, if one were so inclined.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious, what changed from the time you enterred the tourney? Surely you didn't pay $200 for the opportunity to receive $180?

[/ QUOTE ]
The tourney was a $3 rebuy and I did one buy and one add-on. I actually play in these satellites a lot just for the payout because the play is generally very bad. As well, sometimes I can't make the tourney I am qualifying for so I let a good friend and good player play for me if I make the seat. And as well, a lot of the time the payout just before the seat(s) is close to the seat value so I sometimes am just happy with that.

I have stopped playing there (Absolute) for a couple of obvious reasons and the sites I play now have tourney dollars so I don't do this any more.

Anyways, thanks for your opinion. What I did I think was clearly chip dumping but I think the spirit of my action is not against the integrity of the game. Nobody lost out.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:36 PM

I actually witnessed chip dumping in action one morning long ago. In that case, someone had hacked into a 2+2er's account and dumped all his money (~$100k) to his buddy so his buddy could withdraw it. I didn't realize what had occurred until after the 2+2er posted asking what happened to all his money (he was able to get it all back in that case)
Old 11-08-2007, 07:40 PM

The main problem is that criminals will deposit money with a stolen credit card, dump the chips off to another account, and withdraw from that account. Then the owner of the credit card will dispute the charge, and the poker site is out the money.

Chip dumping heads up does not harm anyone directly, but it makes it harder to check for fraud, collusion, and other forms of cheating, since more players have to be checked than just those who are withdrawing.

Another issue is that poker sites usually absorb fees on the deposits and withdrawals. Normally, the rake from playing exceeds those fees, so the poker sites are happy to accept that loss. If you deposit to transfer money to someone else, and they immediately widthdraw, the poker site has lost the fees with little or no rake paid.

If you have a legitimate reason to transfer money to another account, most sites will let you do that without chip dumping. They may require that the accounts be active.