Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 09-26-2007, 11:50 PM

Default Folding TT and alike hands after raising preflop

Say I have TT in middle position. It is folded to me. Blinds are sb150 bb300. I decide to put in a 4xBB raise. My stack is now 8500. Pot is now 1650. Everyone folds except Button who re raises to 6000. What do i do? In the TPFAP book david Sklansky states that "Expert NL players only raise with hands that they don't mind being reraised, either because the hand is so strong that they want to call, or because it is easy to throw away". Was TT a good enough hand to raise in the first place? Also does the gap concept apply here "you need a stronger hand to call a large reraise than you needed to raise to begin with".
Old 09-27-2007, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Folding TT and alike hands after raising preflop

Awesome post - I struggle with the same thing...

I usually raise 3x, so the pot would be smaller. And I'd base my decision on reads as well - if this player is a loose restealer, I'd push - if he's a tightie I'd lean towards folding preflop.

His reraise seems a little large - what's your image? What's his stack? Is he betting big for value, or because you've been pushing around the table a lot and he's tired of it?

But these thoughts only kick in when I'm being thoughtful. Too often I find myself reacting "OMG PUSH!" only to be crushed or lose a coin flip, in a situation where I could do much better by keeping the pots smaller...
Old 09-27-2007, 12:08 AM

I shove if I'm willing to race for a big stack and fold if I think I can get a better spot against him later.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Awesome post - I struggle with the same thing...

I usually raise 3x, so the pot would be smaller. And I'd base my decision on reads as well - if this player is a loose restealer, I'd push - if he's a tightie I'd lean towards folding preflop.

His reraise seems a little large - what's your image? What's his stack? Is he betting big for value, or because you've been pushing around the table a lot and he's tired of it?

But these thoughts only kick in when I'm being thoughtful. Too often I find myself reacting "OMG PUSH!" only to be crushed or lose a coin flip, in a situation where I could do much better by keeping the pots smaller...

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets say for this situation he had a stack of 14000 before he re raised. I have just moved to the table. I know nothing about the players styles and they don't know anything about mine.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I shove if I'm willing to race for a big stack and fold if I think I can get a better spot against him later.

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you willing to race for a big stack?
Old 09-27-2007, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you willing to race for a big stack?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm more inclined to gamble early in race situations to build that big stack for the long run. There's a lot of dead money during those first two blind levels and you should be willing to take chances and get those chips before somebody else does.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:25 AM

Your post implies that every play should have an easy answer and that's simply not the case.

It's cliche, but poker is a game of incomplete information. There's always more going on than the fact that you raised and got reraised. You need to gather as much information as you can and use that to your advantage.

Sometimes it will be clear what to do and others it won't. I think what he means wrt this scenario is that YOU are picking your spots and you should exercise as much control over the hand as you can in order to make the most profit.

Short answer: it's ok to raise TT and it's ok to fold to a reraise... sometimes
Old 09-27-2007, 12:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your post implies that every play should have an easy answer and that's simply not the case.

It's cliche, but poker is a game of incomplete information. There's always more going on than the fact that you raised and got reraised. You need to gather as much information as you can and use that to your advantage.

Sometimes it will be clear what to do and others it won't. I think what he means wrt this scenario is that YOU are picking your spots and you should exercise as much control over the hand as you can in order to make the most profit.

Short answer: it's ok to raise TT and it's ok to fold to a reraise... sometimes

[/ QUOTE ]

Under what conditions would it be ok to fold to a re raise with TT?
Old 09-27-2007, 12:45 AM

If villian is very tight and won't reraise without a premium hand that has you destroyed...
There are also situations in satellites where you are correct to open muck AA and less extreme cases where you can't afford to have an allin showdown one player, but you can raise to steal from shorter stacks.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:52 AM

As stated before by me If I didn't know what my opponents playing styles were should I give him a benefit of the doubt and fold the hand?