Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2007, 11:02 AM

Default New to NL... 2 hands

I played limit until recently and need a check up on a couple of NL hands.

Villain is 45/13/2 over 100 datamined hands.

Full Tilt Poker
$1/$2 No Limit Hold'em Ring Game
6 Players
LegoPoker Hand Converter

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
Hero (BB): $226.7
UTG: $313.90
MP: $55.60
CO: $205
BTN: $266.90
SB: $193

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($3, 6 players)
UTG calls $2, MP folds, CO folds, BTN folds, SB folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $9</font>, UTG calls $7

<font color="black">Flop:</font> A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($19, 2 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $16</font>, UTG calls $16

<font color="black">Turn:</font> A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] ($51, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG bets $40</font>, Hero calls $40

<font color="black">River:</font> A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] ($131, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">UTG bets $88</font>, Hero ???

Villain is 22/15/1.5. Not a lot of hands, so he probably isn't a regular. Passive post flop.

Full Tilt Poker
$1/$2 No Limit Hold'em Ring Game
5 Players
LegoPoker Hand Converter

<font color="black">Stack Sizes</font>
MP: $463.05
Hero (BTN): $248.35
SB: $149.35
BB: $201.85
UTG: $254.95

<font color="black">Preflop:</font> 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($3, 5 players)
UTG folds, MP folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $7</font>, SB calls $6, BB calls $5

<font color="black">Flop:</font> 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($21, 3 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks

<font color="black">Turn:</font> 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] ($21, 3 players)
SB checks, <font color="red">BB bets $14</font>, Hero calls $14, SB folds

<font color="black">River:</font> 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]] ($49, 2 players)
<font color="red">BB bets $36</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises all in

Any help is appreciated. These may be uninteresting, but like I said I'm new [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-04-2007, 11:09 AM

Default Re: New to NL... 2 hands

Hand 1 bet the turn. Whether you call a raise is read dependent.

Hand 2 is difficult. I may Cbet this flop occasionally, but I think check is OK. Calling the turn is marginal but OK I think. I may be a nit on the river and just call, but shoving isnt terrible.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:14 AM

hand1: checking this turn is a bad play imo because you show him that you are scared by not betting, which would otherwise give you a better feeling where you are in this hand because he has to respond to your bet.
i would hate myself if he checks behind on the turn and catches a free flush.

hand2: i dont think c-betting this flop is a problem, but your line is more passive (still o.k. imo) the turn and river are good
Old 01-04-2007, 11:27 AM

Hand 1 Turn -- Bet/Fold &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; Check/Call

Hand 2 -- Turn call is very marginal. You have to be pretty sure that you are getting another $25 or so if you hit to call. I don't like the river shove because it folds a lot of hands that might call a raise to $100.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:50 AM

Thanks a bunch. Yeah, looking at hand 1, that turn check was bad. I think I've gotten too gun shy with sets due to running poorly with them. Maybe I could have folded that to a raise.

Hand 2, I think the turn call is OK with the gutshot outs in addition to the flush outs. Was more interested in the river shove, since the board paired when I hit my flush.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:01 PM

Hand one, lead the turn, otherwise you don't know where you stand and are faced with that awful river decision.

Hand two..River shove is very bad (unless it's a complete maniac you're up against). Just call the river, you'll only get called by a boat or the nut flush if you push.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:24 PM

So in hand 1 should I fold in this situation to a turn raise (if I had bet) from a 45/13 donk with no good postflop read? If the raise were a min raise vs. a larger raise, would that impact the decision?
Old 01-04-2007, 12:36 PM

Depends on how much he raises. If he min raises you're not going anywhere of course. If board pairs on river, obv. get it all in. If not check the river &amp; go from there.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:43 PM

Hand #1: I'd probably lead $35 on the turn. If he has a flush he'll probably min raise you like an idiot anyway, so you can call for full house value and open push if it comes, or he'll check behind if he doesn't actually have the flush and board doesn't pair.

Hand #2: Turn looks fine to me. 12 outs, though two are not clean, and we're already getting 2:1. River doesn't look fine: You aren't betting for value because no worse hand than yours can call you. You are bluffing really, so a call is better.