Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #3 River

I actually want to push. From villain's play on this hand so far, I believe him to be a donkey. I don't see a donkey checking this river with a two pair or better, so I think we're ahead. There's no reason to not to bet when we're ahead, and the pot's about the size of our stack, so I'm pushing.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I actually want to push. From villain's play on this hand so far, I believe him to be a donkey. I don't see a donkey checking this river with a two pair or better, so I think we're ahead. There's no reason to not to bet when we're ahead, and the pot's about the size of our stack, so I'm pushing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think one pair hands are calling this push?

Are you insane?

fwiw I am betting approximately 600
Old 11-23-2005, 08:11 PM

Let's play this from the Villian's perspective.

He called a raise preflop. He checkraised and was called on the flop. He checked and the guy bet 3/4 pot on the turn and he called.

Then when the flush draw gets there, you think he checks if he made the flush? It sure looks pretty likely that Jason isn't on a flush draw, so why check if you make the flush and risk jason checking behind w/ a hand like two pair or an overpair. I just don't buy that the BB has a flush and would check there.

I think that you need to value bet that river. Since the villian has played this hand like a donkey, I fully expect him to pay off w/ his better one pair hands. Pot is ~1800, we have somewhere around 2k, so I think that we should bet 1k (and call a push).
Old 11-23-2005, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pot is ~1800, we have somewhere around 2k, so I think that we should bet 1k (and call a push).

[/ QUOTE ]
Hero has t1640, slightly less than the pot (1810). Do you still bet 1K or do you push?

What hands do you see calling Hero here that he beats? A9? 67? 88? Seems like an odd way to play those hands on the turn.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pot is ~1800, we have somewhere around 2k, so I think that we should bet 1k (and call a push).

[/ QUOTE ]
Hero has t1640, slightly less than the pot (1810). Do you still bet 1K or do you push?

What hands do you see calling Hero here that he beats? A9? 67? 88? Seems like an odd way to play those hands on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

haven't you ever played in these things? seems like a standard way for most players to play those hands on the turn (and pay off on the river).

I still bet 1k on the river.

edit: actually, thinking about it...I think I want to bet a little less on the river to widen the range of hands that call to include smaller one pair hands like T9, 89, 88, all queens. The result will be the same vs. a flush and maybe we lose less w/ hands that are ahead of us, but afraid to bet. I think something like 750-800 is better.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you guys f-ing crazy? What was this guy calling and checkraising with if he didn't have a flush draw or could beat the smallest 2 pair? What is he going to call you with that you can beat?
Old 11-23-2005, 09:56 PM

How about AQ, A9, KK, or AA?

And why wouldn't he bet a made hand here?
Old 11-23-2005, 10:05 PM

Checking a made flush happens a lot, way more than you would expect. They can't believe how lucky they got when it comes, and the slow-play instinct which is so finely tuned with them kicks in, so they check (believing it is the only way to double up).

Once again, not saying that it is a flush, but dont discount it. You see players checking rivered flushes playing limit, where it makes even less sense.

Im in the check behind camp. They arent calling a large bet here without a very specific group of hands (AA,KK, AQ) that we are beating. I think you will see a checked flush (or str8) more often than a calling hand we beat
Old 02-01-2007, 12:59 PM

I think he can only hold 2 hands here, AQh or a set of 9's. I check fold here...
Old 02-02-2007, 07:48 PM

I can't see anyone calling 3 times with 36o, so let's toss that out. The river may have made his flush. He may have had a straight the whole time. QQ is doubtful, think he would have re-raised PF. Trip 9's, A9, 9-10, AhQh all possible.

Since he's been letting us lead, but calling everything, it's pretty likely has has 68 or two hearts. Putting more chips in the pot is a bad idea. If he's just a donkified calling station, let's collect our chips and be glad he's on our left going forward.