Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 11-09-2007, 04:30 PM

Default Lions For Lambs

Gentlemen (and I use that word loosely),
I went to the movies this afternoon specifically to write a review of this picture. I have chosen politics for it because I feel compelled to color the review with my own reactions. These reactions might be offensive to some, so I am avoiding putting this in the lounge where it would normally be.

If the point of art is to evoke an emotion, than this movie is definately art. My emotion was disgust. Contempt and disgust, actually. But, not for the reasons that you might suspect.

You see, I have never been a soldier. I was a sailor, though, beholden to the same masters as a soldier. That is where my emotional response was born from, that experience. But, I digress, perhaps get ahead of myself.

This movie is conversations. Conversations between archetypical characters. There is the politician played by Cruise. The reporter played by Streep (whose make-up artist really worked hard to hide the lines). A professor and a student that has "potential."

There are also two soldiers. The two soldiers don't do much talking, they are the ones taking action.

I can say this for the cast; they are all really good and on top of their game.

Now, about the conversations. The politician and the reporter have a discussion about a new military action. I'm really pissed at Redford for portraying a reporter at the top of her profession as a complete and utter victim. She acts as if the press are complete and total morons who just buy into whatever the powers that be dish out to them. Personally, I think this is about as out of phase with the truth as you can get. I have heard so much noise from the press in opposition to the war on terror that their protesting colors my opinion to the point that I think they themselves are as much manipulators as any politician.

As for the professor and the student. Well, the student gives the professor hope and that is what he lives for and why he is a professor, I think. He is encouraging the student to take a stand, for something, anything, but be involved. Don't buy off on the dollar green gold plated American pursuit of profit. He wants the student to go out and use his talent to have a positive impact on his society.

The two soldiers were once students of this particular professor as well. They took action and made choices that he doesn't agree with, partly because they were similar to his life, but he respects and admires the motivation behind.

The professor knows (therefore Redford knows) that apathy is what manipulators plan strategies around and count on, and says so.

Now, back to that emotion I had. I want to tell you where it comes from. You see, I once made choices based on belief in a principle. I later learned that principle was wrong. The belief was that the people who lived in the shining city on the hill were worth defending. That they needed people like me to go out and do things they were not capable of and could not do for themselves. I was wrong. They aren't. You aren't.

Do you know why? You don't deserve it. You squander the opportunity you have. You squander your talents on selfish pursuits. No one should stand up for you. No one should defend you. They should make you do that for yourself.

That sentiment is what this movie reminded me of. There is where my comtempt and disgust come from. That is why when the barbarians are at the gates, I'm going to act just like the rest of you.

"Rome is burning" intones our wise and learned professor (Redford). I say let it burn.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Lions For Lambs

I didn't read your review yet, I really want to see this movie, so I'm wondering if there are any spoilers in your review?
Old 11-09-2007, 05:05 PM

Funny, liberals, moderatres, and conservatives alike are dismissing this movie as complete and total crap.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/lions_for_lambs/

I think one reviewer put it best, to paraphrase: If you go see this movie, make to wear your Sunday best, cause you are going to get preached at for 2 hours.

I hold anything Hollywood has to say about politics as I would NAMBLA talking about children's issues or the KKK talking about race relations.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:53 PM

whats the diff b/w apathy and sympathy?
Old 11-09-2007, 08:04 PM

Totally unrelated:

Awesome nickname.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Totally unrelated:

Awesome nickname.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 11-09-2007, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Totally unrelated:

Awesome nickname.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-09-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have heard so much noise from the press in opposition to the war on terror that their protesting colors my opinion to the point that I think they themselves are as much manipulators as any politician.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. Thanks O'Reilly. Better grab a rifle and man a foxhole, the war on Christmas is coming soon, too!
Old 11-09-2007, 10:28 PM

As likely the biggest liberal on this site i will say the trailer for this bored me to death and i was kind of looking forward to it before that.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:03 AM

Another Hollywood anti-war borefest that will lose money in the US but make up for it in the anti-US havens overseas.