Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-02-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Describe the Lounge

As we're coming up on moving the forums over to vBulletin, there's been some talk of other improvements we could make while we're at it. One that came up was redoing some of the forum descriptions on the Main Index. Here's the current one for the Lounge:

The Lounge: Discussion+Review
For discussion and debate about arts, movies+TV, music, reading+literature, style, fashion, history, culture and many more subjects

I probably should remember, but I don't actually recall if that's the original description from the birth of the Lounge or if that's something DB, Sniper, and I put together after we started the movement towards opening up the Lounge and relaxing the controls on content. Either way, we could maybe stand to rework it. Do you guys think we could reword the description somewhat to perhaps better describe the forum, attract new members, and perhaps better differentiate us from the other OT 2+2 communities? For reference, here are the current description for the other 3 forums:

Other Other Topics
Discussion of arts & entertainment, pop culture, food & drink, health and exercise, fashion, relationships, work, and just about anything else in life except poker, sports, religion and politics.

El Diablo's General Discussion
Interesting discussion of any and all topics, including Current Events, Entertainment, Politics, Art & Literature, Career, Hobbies, Lifestyle, Travel, Sports, and Gambling. Posts are expected to be intelligent, interesting, and respectful.

BBV4Life
And here's where you put your life's whines and wins.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Describe the Lounge

That's from day 1.

OOT changed theirs shortly after to be VERY similar, for some strange reason.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Either way, we could maybe stand to rework it. Do you guys think we could reword the description somewhat to perhaps better describe the forum, attract new members, and perhaps better differentiate us from the other OT 2+2 communities?

[/ QUOTE ]

My feeling is that yes, we can probably rework it to make it more attractive and differentiate us. I will need to give it some thought. Will post later on this as I'm about to get locked out of the site.

I would love to hear other's thoughts on this. Lurkers, what do you guys think? How do you see us as different from EDF for example?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:58 PM

I lurk here pretty regularly. The main difference I see between here and EDF is that this forum seems to have a narrower focus (mainly good television, films, art, music), more in depth discussion, and less arguing. This forum also seems to have fewer trolls than others and fewer one word responses.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:14 PM

The question is "why don't I go to EDF or OOT instead?

EDF is to snobbish in it's exclusivity, for something so uptight about who can and cannot post, the subject material is not interesting for the most part.

OOT is.... I don't know.

The Lounge is a slower paced type of place, where people are more cerebral and thoughtful about what threads to post and what to respond with. I find it interesting that there is a sort of self-imposed content filter that works wonderful, like everyone is keeping each other in check about not creating too much noise, but that is unsaid. Unlike EDF, we are all free to start a new thread whenever we wish, yet, no one seems to start a thread more often than once every two weeks. I guess it is more competitive here. That's the best I could describe it: that there is a sort of competition of thought, but in a friendly way of coarse.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:25 PM

I'd agree with Number and daveT both.

I don't have much time to respond, as I have to shower soon, but I'll throw down some anyway.

To me, this forum has a much different poster-personality feel than EDF (which is, to me, way more similar to Lounge than OOT is...and I read both). The Lounge is a little smaller feel to it and the topics are, indeed, less diverse than in EDF.

I think that loosening the reigns a little bit was a great move for the Lounge. I used to be intimidated to post here (though I'm not sure the 'tight reigns' was the reason). I'd say it was because I was timid that I didn't have much to contribute to the threads, mostly based on my age (read: lack of life experience).

Nothing has really changed on that front. I still feel like I'm on the lower level of frequent Loungers in terms of what I can contribute to threads. The only difference is that I realized that as long as I try to articulate my thoughts clearly, no one is going to call me out on it by doing anything more than carrying on a civil dialogue.

This is just a basic impression of my view of the Lounge. Obviously it may not help at all, and certainly it isn't some recommendation of what to write. But it's one posters view of it, nonethless.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:28 PM

I suggest the following description:

"Populated by poor judges of hot female characters."
Old 11-02-2007, 02:48 PM

I really think The Lounge's uniqueness is the demographics of the posters in it: higher average age, higher % of women, fewer full-time poker players or students than the rest of 2p2.

Don't know how that would help in writing a description, but there ya go.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd agree with Number and daveT both.

I don't have much time to respond, as I have to shower soon, but I'll throw down some anyway.

To me, this forum has a much different poster-personality feel than EDF (which is, to me, way more similar to Lounge than OOT is...and I read both). The Lounge is a little smaller feel to it and the topics are, indeed, less diverse than in EDF.

I think that loosening the reigns a little bit was a great move for the Lounge. I used to be intimidated to post here (though I'm not sure the 'tight reigns' was the reason). I'd say it was because I was timid that I didn't have much to contribute to the threads, mostly based on my age (read: lack of life experience).

Nothing has really changed on that front. I still feel like I'm on the lower level of frequent Loungers in terms of what I can contribute to threads. The only difference is that I realized that as long as I try to articulate my thoughts clearly, no one is going to call me out on it by doing anything more than carrying on a civil dialogue.

This is just a basic impression of my view of the Lounge. Obviously it may not help at all, and certainly it isn't some recommendation of what to write. But it's one posters view of it, nonethless.

[/ QUOTE ]

SoloAJ may have hit the nail on the head with those two words.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:53 PM

The EDF forum one is so much better written. It's also the only one with a value judgment. I wish discussions in the lounge were "Interesting" too. Also, the tag line at the end about the posts having to be intelligent and respectful pretty much steals our thunder and the original reason for our formation. It also begs the question, "If it's EDF where posts are expected to be intelligent and respectful, how are the posts supposed to be in the lounge? Dumb? Disrespectful? Indifferent as to dumbness or respectfulness?" EDF's description yodels from the mountain tops. Ours farts into a bucket.

Also, OOT, Lounge, and EDF forum seem to all describe very much the same thing.

I think OOT's definition is the most lacking. It's more of a grab-bag of a forum, and its description should reflect that more clearly, I think. Something like "Anything that's not anywhere else!" Something short, punchy and fun. No need for a list.

I don't think the lounge is that listy anymore either. It is more about an attitude and orientation of discussion. The subjects can be pretty much whatever.