Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2007, 01:25 PM

Default I feel so dumb posting this

This is retarded, and I generally hate this kind of post, but I recently found myself in a rotation LHE/LOmaha High game. I'm pretty sure that everyone in the game is really bad at LOH, but I really have no idea because its a stupid game and I've never learned it. I feel like I'm missing a lot of value though because I don't know what I'm doing, especially preflop:

Does anyone have any idea about starting hand selection in this kind of game... or know of a place where I can find it. The game tends to be 7 or 8 people to the flop for one bet or 7 or 8 to the flop for two. There may be a raise once per round though.

I hate games where I have to c/f overpairs.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Re: I feel so dumb posting this

Learning a new game will take much more then a generic PF hand chart.

Your best bet is to find a book on the subject.
Check out the Book and Publications section.
It looks like big part of Sam Farha`s new book is on LOH (I haven`t read it and not planing to) but the book isn`t getting any good reviews in BaP.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:33 PM

Flip,

I know that, believe me. I'm not looking for a way to "learn the game" with one post. Really, I just need some idea of how to begin. I've already checked out everything I could find on the subject, and I think it's all bad. I haven't looked at Farha's book, but my guess is that its not much better than the section in Cloutier's book.

You mean AKQJ is a good hand? Thanks TJ.

The problem is that no one plays LOH so no one has published good material about it. Anyway, I'm not looking for a fix, I just want a starting point.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:08 PM

play coordinated starting hands, where all the cards you're dealt work together. Bet the nuts, and draw to the nuts. Do not draw to a nonnut hand, especially if you aren't hu. Assuming clueless opposition your value will come from people calling with nonnut flush draws and made nonnut straights.
Old 10-28-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
play coordinated starting hands, where all the cards you're dealt work together. Bet the nuts, and draw to the nuts. Do not draw to a nonnut hand, especially if you aren't hu. Assuming clueless opposition your value will come from people calling with nonnut flush draws and made nonnut straights.

[/ QUOTE ]

in limit? I'd think drawing to the nuts would be much less important than in PL. playing *big* cards, on the other hand, would probably be much more important.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:09 PM

i think drawing to a hand that's dead is going to be pretty bad despite the limit structure. Similarly I think flopping top two with big cards and not knowing where you're at against a bet and multiple calls isn't much fun.

Note that I don't necessarily believe that I'm correct, but rather feel obliged to defend myself.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:35 PM

Well obviously it would still be important, I'd just think less so than in PL. I mean, analogizing to limit hold'em v. nlh, a J-high flush draw in a 6-way pot is a jamming hand in LH and a fold in NLH.

Other differences between LO and PLO I can think of are that hands like suited-ace rags are going to go way up in value in multi-way pots, and set-making hands will prob go way down in value. In general, suited or double-suited cards probably go up in value, b/c you'll often have odds to draw even with the risk of paying off a better hand. Like 2 pair and a non-nut draw will be a great hand on the turn facing action from a possible straight, etc. Small rundown hands I'd think would be pretty garbage, since small 2 pair won't hold up nearly as often, and small nut straights and such won't be able to protect their hand.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:10 PM

worth keeping in mind is that OP probably doesn't have much PLO experience either, or he'd have been able to figure this out for himself.

that said I think the one huge PF change vs PLO is that any suited ace becomes playable.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:13 PM

I disagree Pete. While in LOH, you'll often have odds to play a non-nut draw once you're involved, it's going to hold up less since there will generally be more people in the hand chasing and when you do call down correctly, it will be very close to neutral EV. This means that preflop, it's more important to play hands that can make the nuts, making suited aces more important and trash double-suited hands even trashier.

Basically, OP the features you're looking for are suited aces, pairs 88 or higher, and three or four connected straight cards that do not include a 2 or a 3. Don't play Axxx just because it has a suited ace but any combination of factors should be fine.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:17 PM

My experience with LOH is very limited.
Few live 10/20 sessions few years back to be exact so I can`t really give advices on it but I do agree with cmyr and pete on most of their points and just want to add something.

Playing this game against very loose players in 8-way pots is not something I would do because when they call with their gut shots post flop they are actually getting the right odds to do so, so it`s not like you can force them to make many mistakes.
Your edge will most likely come from a good PF selection.
Suited Aces, double suited hands that can make nut str8`s, double paired hands etc.

PS: This thread is actually making me check out Farha`s book to see wtf he has to say on this game.