Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2007, 05:08 AM

Default Re: Official Big Lebowski Thread

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, the "rewatchability" is what makes this movie so great. i've never been able to watch most movies more than once, but i love watching this one over and over.

[/ QUOTE ]

See this kind of comment completely throws me. I can rewatch any good movie again and reread any good movie again. I can't understand people who can't, so I'm lost from the get-go on that recommendation and find it hard not to take it as a warning.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:51 AM

edit: [censored] i missed my 1000th post
Old 09-29-2007, 09:20 AM

Quite possibly the funniest movie ever made.

Serious TBL fanboys should definitely check out "I'm a Lebowski, You're a Lebowski," a book recently published by the guys who run Lebowskifest. They interviewed almost every actor in the movie and tons of people who really really love the movie, PLUS all the people on whom the characters were based.

The amazing thing to me is that many, many of the bizarre incidents in the movie actually took place in real life.

Hilarious book.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, the "rewatchability" is what makes this movie so great. i've never been able to watch most movies more than once, but i love watching this one over and over.

[/ QUOTE ]

See this kind of comment completely throws me. I can rewatch any good movie again and reread any good movie again. I can't understand people who can't, so I'm lost from the get-go on that recommendation and find it hard not to take it as a warning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but the Big Lebowski is the only comedy movie I've ever seen where it actually gets BETTER every time you see it. Almost any comedy gets less funny because you know what's coming - the Big Lebowski throws so much at you that it's almost comedic overload the first time.

dd - noted. I think I will purchase this.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is this movie as good as I think it is?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, no it's not . . . it's much much better than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 09-29-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The amazing thing to me is that many, many of the bizarre incidents in the movie actually took place in real life.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it's not. The Dude is based on a real person the Coen Bros. know, but the plot is completely fictional.

wiki on TBL
Old 09-29-2007, 01:23 PM

I've always liked the movie but consider it as being in the middle of the pack of the Coen Bros. ouvre. I'm a much bigger fan of Raising Arizona, Blood Simple and Fargo...

Good movie though, and I agree that it gets better which successive viewings.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:01 PM

I think this is one of the few movies where the faults in writing, plot, character, etc. are so few that they can be listed explicitly without the cup running over.

I think it would be consistent with the original post if anyone wants to point out what they would change about the movie.

My complaint: When The Dude is walking away from Donny and Walter in the parking lot of the bowling alley, and The Dude's cell phone is ringing (but The Dude is not answering because he lost the money), I don't like the last two lines (beginning with "your phones ringing dude"):

DONNY
Where you going, Dude?

DUDE
I'm going home, Donny.

DONNY
Your phone's ringing, Dude.

DUDE
Thank you, Donny.

Other than that I can't think of anything else I'd change about the movie.
Old 09-29-2007, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this is one of the few movies where the faults in writing, plot, character, etc. are so few that they can be listed explicitly without the cup running over.

I think it would be consistent with the original post if anyone wants to point out what they would change about the movie.

My complaint: When The Dude is walking away from Donny and Walter in the parking lot of the bowling alley, and The Dude's cell phone is ringing (but The Dude is not answering because he lost the money), I don't like the last two lines (beginning with "your phones ringing dude"):

DONNY
Where you going, Dude?

DUDE
I'm going home, Donny.

DONNY
Your phone's ringing, Dude.

DUDE
Thank you, Donny.

Other than that I can't think of anything else I'd change about the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

no that part is hilarious because of how long the dude's phone has been ringing for.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:03 PM

After they go to Larry Sellers' house, I love that the Dude is the only one not to get an in n out burger.