Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 07:52 PM

Default help me with my POS sony vaio

I bought this piece of junk for $3k less than half a year ago. It's always had lots of small problems that have come and gone and never ran particularly well, but lately there have been huge problems.

The computer randomly shuts down. It is running extremely slowly. The screen constantly flickers and sometimes freezes. It's almost impossible to play poker on this thing.

A couple people have told me to reformat the hard drive, but im in europe and don't have any of the discs or anything that I would need, and have no idea how to do this. I've ran tons of virus scans, spyware, disabled all of my startup programs, tried turning off all of my anti spyware stuff, but nothing seems to help.

Any ideas?
Old 09-18-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Re: help me with my POS sony vaio

[ QUOTE ]

The computer randomly shuts down....The screen constantly flickers

[/ QUOTE ]

It could well be broken / faulty. Less than half a year ago is warrantied in the UK, I hope it is similar wherever you purchased it. I'd likely try to get it replaced ASAP - particularly given the screen flicker.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:08 PM

I agree. A flickery screen sounds like a hardware and won't be fixed by any virus scans or reformats.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The computer randomly shuts down....The screen constantly flickers

[/ QUOTE ]

It could well be broken / faulty. Less than half a year ago is warrantied in the UK, I hope it is similar wherever you purchased it. I'd likely try to get it replaced ASAP - particularly given the screen flicker.

[/ QUOTE ]

It probably is. I have a good warantee on it back home in the US, but nothing I can do here. I guess I should just go somewhere and buy a new computer tommorow? If there's nothing I can do with this thing
Old 09-18-2007, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It probably is. I have a good warantee on it back home in the US, but nothing I can do here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not, Sony has outlets all over Europe, although they do seem to separate the three "territories", it wouldn't hurt to contact Sony US and see if there's anything they can get the Euro division to do for you if you are here for a while.

[ QUOTE ]

I guess I should just go somewhere and buy a new computer tomorrow?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd call Sony first, but new laptop would probably be worth it for the quick fix if you are an MS/HS player missing out on $$$$ by not playing, or just baller [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I would probably make a point of asking about global warranty, since you will obv. be returning to the US with it at some point - Maybe Apple / Dell / Lenovo would be good in this regard? I really have no idea, but I'd expect some form of global business-class warranty from at least one of those three.

dave.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:37 AM

I think I had a similar problem with my vaio. The screen would flicker then it would shut down, usually within 5 minutes of bootup. Basically what happened was there was some issue in vaio's that the processor was not correctly attached to the heatsink. So the processor would overheat and force a shutdown.

Sony told me they'd replace the motherboard for about 700, but I figured it would have the same problem, so i sent it in to some place in new jersey where they screwed the processor into the motherboard and its worked like a charm ever since.

PM me if you think this is the problem and you need me to track down the name of the place that did it. I think they charged me about 250.