Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 02:29 PM

Default Patraeus/Crocker Testimony

Quick report and views...

Patraeus has just finished speaking and the key point of his speech, IMO, is when he mentioned the fight is over the central political and resource powers. What should be drawn from this is the US coalition is responsible for the creation of this forum to be civilly warred over.

I further believe this shows how democracy doesnt work as a weapon against divided nations and the downfalls of political militarism.

Patraeus went on to show numerous reports with a definitely slanted analysis. For one, from what i could tell, he was always naming reductions in violence relative to peak periods. They weren't making clear where the surge started relative to the data as well.

The trends that didnt seem in favor were glossed over and not properly appreciated, nor was the core violence he lightly addressed early on. I couldnt see how he returned to explaining why the core violence is solved by any of these recent reductions, in certain parts, and what long term goals are to be expected.

How does any of the things he's doing or proposing to do stop the core problem he proposed of power struggle over political resources?

Another notable event is the people who are going to be charged and were thrown out for speaking out against the war after Patraeus' speech ended. This is of interest because the failure of the Iraqi government is being felt at home. In the US, like in Iraq, the whole people are not represented by the government!

Crocker is currently speaking so wont comment on him until later.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:44 PM

Default Re: Patraeus/Crocker Testimony

I'd direct you toward the other Patraeus thread, but this one is much better. The other probably ought be locked instead.
Old 09-10-2007, 03:42 PM

lmao, that guy in charge looked so dissapointed in humans when he told him to continue after the crazy woman started yelling.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:56 PM

The second Crocker started in on how evil Saddam was, and he gassed the Kurds!, and did I mention the torture? (No wait, he didn't, cuz that's what we do..), my eyes started to glaze over, and I couldn't help but think it was the year 2003 all over again. (Or was it '04?) Yes, what Saddam Hussein did years ago while he was alive is somehow relevant to the progress we're making... sigh.

The crazy woman yelling actually jolted me out of the cozy slumber I fell into while the slow talkin' lawyer from the backwoods of Missourah who kept adding pauses in the strangest of places was droning on for his entire one question. I felt bad for falling asleep during such 'important' testimonial, but it was like grampa was reading me a story and had to pause every few seconds to catch his breath.

Besides, the whole thing seemed about retarded when, who I can only assume was a Republican, said something about how our brave men and women were fighting for OUR freedom. This was news to me. I don't recall the US losing our freedom when we lost Vietnam, and I didn't know we'd somehow lose it again if we (continued to) lose in Iraq.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The second Crocker started in on how evil Saddam was, and he gassed the Kurds!, and did I mention the torture? (No wait, he didn't, cuz that's what we do..), my eyes started to glaze over, and I couldn't help but think it was the year 2003 all over again. (Or was it '04?) Yes, what Saddam Hussein did years ago while he was alive is somehow relevant to the progress we're making... sigh.

The crazy woman yelling actually jolted me out of the cozy slumber I fell into while the slow talkin' lawyer from the backwoods of Missourah who kept adding pauses in the strangest of places was droning on for his entire one question. I felt bad for falling asleep during such 'important' testimonial, but it was like grampa was reading me a story and had to pause every few seconds to catch his breath.

Besides, the whole thing seemed about retarded when, who I can only assume was a Republican, said something about how our brave men and women were fighting for OUR freedom. This was news to me. I don't recall the US losing our freedom when we lost Vietnam, and I didn't know we'd somehow lose it again if we (continued to) lose in Iraq.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you think being dead is "freedom"
Old 09-11-2007, 12:19 AM

Lolololol
Old 09-11-2007, 12:31 AM

I wanted to ammend my previous point by quoting Colin Powell, a noted and well respected Republican, from an interview he gave in GQ:

Isn’t the new global threat we face even more dangerous?

What is the greatest threat facing us now? People will say it’s terrorism. But are there any terrorists in the world who can change the American way of life or our political system? No. Can they knock down a building? Yes. Can they kill somebody? Yes. But can they change us? No. Only we can change ourselves. So what is the great threat we are facing?

(This seems appropriate, given the knee-jerk reaction of the foaming-mouthed zealot a couple posts above)