Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 09-02-2007, 01:32 AM

Default I Want to See That Card: A Variation

My big blind. I'm in seat #1. In seat #2 is a fairly tight player, very, very nice guy, a gentleman. He open-raises.

All fold to seat #8 on the button. A first-class jerk. Arrogant and condescending when he's winning (which isn't too often) and a championship caliber bitcher and moaner when he's losing (which is too often). He cold-calls.

Small blind calls and I call with 9h-8h. Flop comes 9-7-6. Small blind checks, I bet, UTG calls, buttton/jerk folds, small blind folds. Turn is an 8, giving me top two, but making the board 9-8-7-6. I check and UTG checks behind.

River is a Q. I bet, he calls. I show and he shows a Q and mucks.

Now button/jerk says, "I want to see the other card." UTG says "Why? I conceded and mucked." The other card is right in front of me, not in the muck, as UTG had slid it forward, from seat 2, which put it right in front of me in seat 1. Button says, "It was bet and called I have a right to see it."

I mean, really, what difference does it make? What does he think he has? He showed a Q. He's relatively tight. Board was 9-7-6--8-Q. He's either got A-Q, K-Q, or Q-J(s), for heaven's sake, he open-raised UTG. The only other possibilities are Q-4, Q-3 or Q-2, impossible that he both open-raised UTG with those or called a flop of 9-7-6 with them.

I quickly take the card and slide it into the muck. Of course I get yelled at by the button/jerk. I say nothing.

A while later, UTG wins a big pot from the jerk with 7-7 when the jerk had T-8 and the board was 8-8-7--9-J. So the jerk flopped trips and rivered a straight, but lost to UTG's flopped full house. As UTG is raking in the rather sizable pot, I say to him, just loud enough for the jerk to hear, "There, he got to see both your cards that time."

I was pretty proud of that line.
Old 09-02-2007, 02:34 AM

Default Re: I Want to See That Card: A Variation

[ QUOTE ]
My big blind. I'm in seat #1. In seat #2 is a fairly tight player, very, very nice guy, a gentleman. He open-raises.

All fold to seat #8 on the button. A first-class jerk. Arrogant and condescending when he's winning (which isn't too often) and a championship caliber bitcher and moaner when he's losing (which is too often). He cold-calls.

Small blind calls and I call with 9h-8h. Flop comes 9-7-6. Small blind checks, I bet, UTG calls, buttton/jerk folds, small blind folds. Turn is an 8, giving me top two, but making the board 9-8-7-6. I check and UTG checks behind.

Now button/jerk says, "I want to see the other card." UTG says "Why? I conceded and mucked." The other card is right in front of me, not in the muck, as UTG had slid it forward, from seat 2, which put it right in front of me in seat 1. Button says, "It was bet and called I have a right to see it."

I mean, really, what difference does it make? What does he think he has? He showed a Q. He's relatively tight. Board was 9-7-6--8-Q. He's either got A-Q, K-Q, or Q-J(s), for heaven's sake, he open-raised UTG. The only other possibilities are Q-4, Q-3 or Q-2, impossible that he both open-raised UTG with those or called a flop of 9-7-6 with them.

I quickly take the card and slide it into the muck. Of course I get yelled at by the button/jerk. I say nothing.

A while later, UTG wins a big pot from the jerk with 7-7 when the jerk had T-8 and the board was 8-8-7--9-J. So the jerk flopped trips and rivered a straight, but lost to UTG's flopped full house. As UTG is raking in the rather sizable pot, I say to him, just loud enough for the jerk to hear, "There, he got to see both your cards that time."

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you were wrong in almost every action you took in this description. Of course this is only my opinion.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:02 AM

Anyone who ever tries to open someones cards for information deserves whatever they get, up to and including cancer.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:40 AM

Andy Fox threads in B&M give me goose bumps. If there was an honorary mod position, you would get it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-02-2007, 07:45 AM

I got a IWTSTH story from tonight, and it's not good enough to merit its own thread, so I'll stick it here.

I'm dealing a wild, wild, $1-2 NL game. People are pushing their stacks in with two over-cards, just for fun. Craziest game I've seen in a while.

UTG opens for $22 (standard raise), gets one caller (MP). Flop comes A99 rainbow, and both players raise and re-raise until MP is all-in.

Turn is an Ace. MP looks crushed. His shoulders slump, his head bows. River is immaterial.

MP asks UTG, "You have an ace, right?"

UTG turns up AJ.

MP shakes his head sadly, shows his hole cards to this neighbor, tosses his hand in face-down, and gets up to leave.

Everyone not involved in the hand exclaims in unison, "What did he show???!"

"What do you think he showed?", I asked the table as I turned up his 96s.

Then I added, a little sheepishly, "Did I just say that out loud?"
Old 09-02-2007, 05:49 PM

pbv you should have just eaten the card ftw.
Old 09-02-2007, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you were wrong in almost every action you took in this description. Of course this is only my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you really believe that then what action was he right with? If I was in his spot I would have done exactly the same thing.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got a IWTSTH story from tonight, and it's not good enough to merit its own thread, so I'll stick it here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Here's mine from last night. Both participants are 30-ish and not entirely clueless, which puts them at the high end of the skill set at 3/6 LHE. Rest of table is me, some older locals/dealers, and one drunk chick.

Heads up on the river, 8 seat leads and 2 seat thinks and sighs and moans before holding his cards up near his face for a last look before mucking. 8 almost comes out of his chair, shrieking "IWTSTH!!!! Show one show all!!!!" 2 claims he didn't show, just held them up. 8 asks 3 (very friendly older local) if he saw them and 3 honestly answers that he did see one, so the dealer flips the cards face up and then mucks them. Of course, 2^n minutes of bitching, moaning, rehashing what REALLY happened, and what the proper ruling SHOULD be ensues. The floor was nearby doing paperwork, and paused to say "Sir, try to be more careful with your cards. Next hand."

Things are now way to tense, and the main calling station is racking up to leave. Next hand, I'm in the BB and check my 53o. Steaming 8 seat leads out, and it folds around to me. Grinning, in my friendliest voice, I look at 8 and say. "Here, you can see this hand, too." while mucking face up. Drunk chick spits Jaeger onto the table.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:25 PM

wait, shouldn't it have been:

"there, you got to see both his cards that time!"

?
Old 09-02-2007, 08:27 PM

nevermind, i see now